Sesame Street Season 45 Episode 4514 - Oscar's Trash Savings Plan

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Anyone else think it was disappointing that the episode started about saving/delayed gratification, and turned sharply into a recycling episode?
I took it as the rest of the show's theme was "trash" and recycling factors into that, so it kind of works.

Drtooth

Reaction score
You can see it that way, and I got that. But it really feels like they could have gone somewhere with the savings bit, but they didn't have any sketches to back that up. Maybe the "Good Things Come to those who Wait" song, but that's about it.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I'd sound like a really broken record if I have to say "they should have gotten rid of Abby's Flying School" again. But yeah... that's like 10 minutes of the show that segment's sitting on. It's all budget reasons the segment's still on the show. Too little money in the budget to contract more episodes, too much money spent on the ones they did to just completely give up on showing them.
I had a thought about this yesterday. I wouldn't think they'd something to put in place of AFFS, then I realized: what if they went back to having two letters of the day? Probably wouldn't work with the new intro song, but it's an idea. Or just have some other new "thing" of the day (word, letter, number...)

Drtooth

Reaction score
I had a thought about this yesterday. I wouldn't think they'd something to put in place of AFFS, then I realized: what if they went back to having two letters of the day? Probably wouldn't work with the new intro song, but it's an idea. Or just have some other new "thing" of the day (word, letter, number...)

I'm surprised they didn't just put that Spanish health segment into that space. I understand that they want to get as much mileage as they can out of these expensive cartoons, and I'm sure that some kids are getting restless watching the *&^% Macaroni dinosaur for the hundredth time... I just see parents switching the channels every time the same Abby segment comes on. That can't be good for the show, and I think they've squeezed all they can out of these segments (yet, didn't release the to DVD in sets like Elmo's World). Time to put in something else, be it new or more letter/number segments.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I'm surprised they didn't just put that Spanish health segment into that space.
The problem with that would be those "mini-shows" are 7 minutes long and are comprised of 4 or five individual segments, along with framing scenes with Elmo. It'd be like a mini-Sesame show within an entire Sesame show.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I wouldn't put it past them to get that to work, though. I'm sure they could just pick the show apart to add some Muppet moments back into the show. Even wholesale unaltered versions of that segment would be a lot less dull than the same Abby segments over and over... but you have a point. That would be a terrible flow, since the show's been broken up to something like that essentially already. Maybe if they break the segment apart or something inside the show?

But that does pose the problem for Abby. On the one hand, that's 9 minutes of the show the show gets back, but considering they're scrambling to fill up the episodes half the time already, it's a question of what could fill in that slot. If they already have to use footage from the same season twice before the halfway mark, that means they are kinda desperate for filler segments.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I wouldn't put it past them to get that to work, though. I'm sure they could just pick the show apart to add some Muppet moments back into the show. Even wholesale unaltered versions of that segment would be a lot less dull than the same Abby segments over and over... but you have a point. That would be a terrible flow, since the show's been broken up to something like that essentially already. Maybe if they break the segment apart or something inside the show?
I don't see why they can't air some of the skits from it on the show; they put some on that Cooking DVD a year or so ago. Plus, so many E&B bits. Confuses me why they can't run them.

Drtooth

Reaction score
My complaint exactly. They're a non-profit strapped for cash frequently, yet there's a veritable wealth of foreign market in mind material produced in English only to be dubbed that never manage to get on the show, but they're desperate enough to use Pre-School Musical well after parodying it was relevant among other things. You can't even blame the year in advance thing for that one, it was embarrassing (and not even HD). Still fail to understand why they're just sitting on half the Ernie and Bert claymation segments when they could have released them on various formats by now.

I give them tons of credit for sharing the Furchester Hotel on Youtube instead of being completely obtuse about it. But you'd think a lot of the footage supposedly not suitable for the show for some reason could have surfaced there or their own site.

But yeah... that's the complaint I've been having for a while. There's a lot of stuff they can indeed add to the show without breaking the bank or displacing any of the precious Pop culture bits they need to keep parents entertained. I don't see why they'd just sit on something they paid money for when they're constantly strapped for cash.

sesamemuppetfan

Reaction score
I'd sound like a really broken record if I have to say "they should have gotten rid of Abby's Flying School" again. But yeah... that's like 10 minutes of the show that segment's sitting on. It's all budget reasons the segment's still on the show. Too little money in the budget to contract more episodes, too much money spent on the ones they did to just completely give up on showing them.
That's right. They also need to get of rid of the Season 40 theme and closing credits, due to the fact that they retired that horrid Zoe puppet after Season 40...but that's another story.

AND the macaroni dinosaur...
Or ANY OTHER segement from Season 40. Period.