Sesame Street Season 41 Press Kit

Drtooth

Reaction score
Murray was mentioned in Joey's bio... that's about it. I'd hate to see him go completely. I REALLY wish they had the budget to do new Murray had a Little Lamb segments, though.

And Prarie... I really wish they'd use her more. Guess Fran's too busy with Zoe?

SSLFan

Reaction score
I REALLY wish they had the budget to do new Murray had a Little Lamb segments, though.
It depends. MHALL is a fun segment, but if Murray continues to host the show, I'd rather see MHALL retired. Having it featured in an episode where Murray already has hosting duties would just be overkill. Seriously, Season 40 was hijacked by Elmo, Abby and Murray.:stick_out_tongue:

A fun idea ( at least to make some good of the whole "block format" situation) would be to give different characters "hosting days." Similar to something like on SS.org, such as "Grover Day", "Ernie & Bert Day", "Big Bird Day", "Oscar Day", etc. plus, like Murray, they would be out in the real world interacting with others. It may not be all that great, but it would fill some of the void that some of the characters have been lacking in certain episodes, again, thanks to the Elmo-Abby-Murray takeover.

Muppet Frog

Reaction score
Well it looks like Elmo, Big Bird, Zoe, Abby, Rosita, Bert, Murray, CM and Geriver are still the popular SS Muppets in today's show while we get Snuffy, Ernie, Prairie and Fat Blue less.

SSLFan

Reaction score
Well it looks like Elmo, Big Bird, Zoe, Abby, Rosita, Bert, Murray, CM and Geriver are still the popular SS Muppets in today's show while we get Snuffy, Ernie, Prairie and Fat Blue less.
Ernie is still very popular. Steve just isn't available as much to perform, that's why we are more likely to see more Bert on the show. Funny, Bert's featured more on the show (or at least solo without Ernie) yet Ernie still produces more merchandise. Odd isn't it?

Personally, I'm more of a Bert fan these days anyway.:frown:

As far as the others, let's face it:

Popular = ^Elmo, ^Abby, *Cookie Monster
Still Favorites: *Grover, *Big Bird, *Oscar, Ernie, *Zoe
Underrated: Telly, ^Murray, Rosita, Baby Bear, *Bert, *The Count
Fading/Not So Popular Characters: *Snuffy, Prairie Dawn

*= these guys are still well known, though they aren't featured in episodes as much as they used to be.

^ = these guys are seen WAAAAY too much.:stick_out_tongue:

Mupp

Reaction score
I gotta say, after watching more of the clips, the songs and production values seem very good in this upcoming season.

Drtooth

Reaction score
It depends. MHALL is a fun segment, but if Murray continues to host the show, I'd rather see MHALL retired. Having it featured in an episode where Murray already has hosting duties would just be overkill. Seriously, Season 40 was hijacked by Elmo, Abby and Murray.
I'd do it the other way. Get rid of the block format all together (maybe have him introduce letters and numbers at first) and keep MHALL but with new episodes.

Ernie is still very popular. Steve just isn't available as much to perform, that's why we are more likely to see more Bert on the show. Funny, Bert's featured more on the show (or at least solo without Ernie) yet Ernie still produces more merchandise. Odd isn't it?

Personally, I'm more of a Bert fan these days anyway.

As far as the others, let's face it:

Popular = ^Elmo, ^Abby, *Cookie Monster
Still Favorites: *Grover, *Big Bird, *Oscar, Ernie, *Zoe
Underrated: Telly, ^Murray, Rosita, Baby Bear, *Bert, *The Count
Fading/Not So Popular Characters: *Snuffy, Prairie Dawn
This season is going to have a lot of Grover, it sounds like. Not only does he have a new segment, he's going to be Ironing Monster in one episode, and he's probably going to be in a few more as well.

Funny thing, I'm actually noticing more Snuffy recently than in previous years.

But Ernie depends on availability. Though, Eric certainly has some time to play Grover and Bert (who's in his first street stories in years). It would be very strange to see more Bert than Ernie, since we're used to the other way entirely. I hope we get at least one new skit with the both of them. or at least time enough to show some reused ones.

I just hope this season isn't dominated by long films. Remember 2 seasons back when they made a film about making sushi? What was the need or call for kids to learn about sushi on Sesame Street, especially since they didn't even do it as a cultural thing?

zns

Reaction score
As far as I am concerned, Big Bird, Elmo, and Abby Cadabby are the three major Muppets on the show right now. Here is why I am saying this:

Elmo- I can understand why he is used so much because the workshop is still trying to aim at the preschool children, which is their mainm target audience. Yes I know it's frustrating for all of us older fans, but the fatc is that Elmo has to bring in the money in order to get the show going. Michael Davis made it very clear in "Street Gang" that Elmo helped to renew the mission for Sesame Street, but that does not mean that Big Bird is going to go away completely, even after Caroll is gone.

Abby Cadabby- The reason she has become so popular ever since she first came on the show has to do with the girls needing a strong character. Abby represents the things that girls love and howthey see the world sometimes as kids. She also gives the message that you can always believe in whatever you want.

Big Bird- Despite the fact that his air time is limited right now, everyone knows who he is and still loves him as much as Elmo. A few weeks ago on Facebook, Sesame Street's page posted a celebration of the movie" Follow That Bird", with the fan response being the best in a long while. Many of the parents say that their kids love Big Bird so much and adore the movie. One mother even commented that her little toddler carries a plush Big Bird around with him wherever he goes. So with that being said, Big Bird is still a part of the Sesame Street family no matter how often he's in the show or what other fans are saying about his lack of airtime. Big Bird has been there since the very beginning and has been given higher recognitions than even Elmo has gotten. Although Elmo represents a positive view of life for preschoolers, Big Bird demonstrates what the show is really teaching, which is to always keep going, never be afraid to ask questions, and most of all, there is always someone who loves you and willing to help you. The way I see it, Big Bird will never leave Sesame Street. He is the soul of the show and represents everything that Sesame Street is. In other words, Big Bird is Sesame Street. Never forget that. :wisdom::wisdom::wisdom:

Overall, I look forward to season 41 this year. I also think that the episode guide is not as short as it really looks. It's probably not even complete yet.

Drtooth

Reaction score
As far as I am concerned, Big Bird, Elmo, and Abby Cadabby are the three major Muppets on the show right now. Here is why I am saying this:

Elmo- I can understand why he is used so much because the workshop is still trying to aim at the preschool children, which is their mainm target audience. Yes I know it's frustrating for all of us older fans, but the fatc is that Elmo has to bring in the money in order to get the show going. Michael Davis made it very clear in "Street Gang" that Elmo helped to renew the mission for Sesame Street, but that does not mean that Big Bird is going to go away completely, even after Caroll is gone.
Personally, I don't mind Elmo, it's not that he's the thing that draws money in that bugs me as much as the depressing reasons why. And we can all thank that Purple Jurassic menace for that. And I ain't talking Dino from Flintstones. The whole cult following of single characters undermined what SS was about... and that was all about community. I'm glad they're keeping with that aspect as best as they can. As long as we don't have any episodes as dull as "Elmo and Chris go camping" zzzzzzzzzz....

Abby Cadabby- The reason she has become so popular ever since she first came on the show has to do with the girls needing a strong character. Abby represents the things that girls love and howthey see the world sometimes as kids. She also gives the message that you can always believe in whatever you want.
I have to admit, I like Abby. She's such a strong character, much stronger that Elmo ever was even when he was good. I really wish that she was used in more stories without being "Elmo's friend" and have her hang out with the rest of the girls or even other characters. There's something special about her and Oscar... I really wish they'd pair them together more. The thing is I actually LOVE her animated segment, just... they really made a poor decision to make it an every episode occurrence last year, running some 3 times in cases. And I want a Blogg toy so bad! :insatiable:

As for anyone else... Baby Bear, Telly, Oscar, Big Bird, Bert and Ernie and etc. kids still know and love them. The only characters they don't care aren't regulars on the show are the old ones like Sherlock Hemlock. They'd never try to take anyone off the show that wasn't extremely iconic.

SSLFan

Reaction score
I'd do it the other way. Get rid of the block format all together (maybe have him introduce letters and numbers at first) and keep MHALL but with new episodes.
I'd go with that. Just as long as there is no overkill on Murray. He's a cool character but after awhile he gets annoying since he's featured every 10 mins or so. It should be a rule that no character gets overused on the show. Well, it's too late for Elmo.

Big Bird- Despite the fact that his air time is limited right now, everyone knows who he is and still loves him as much as Elmo. A few weeks ago on Facebook, Sesame Street's page posted a celebration of the movie" Follow That Bird", with the fan response being the best in a long while. Many of the parents say that their kids love Big Bird so much and adore the movie. One mother even commented that her little toddler carries a plush Big Bird around with him wherever he goes. So with that being said, Big Bird is still a part of the Sesame Street family no matter how often he's in the show or what other fans are saying about his lack of airtime. Big Bird has been there since the very beginning and has been given higher recognitions than even Elmo has gotten. Although Elmo represents a positive view of life for preschoolers, Big Bird demonstrates what the show is really teaching, which is to always keep going, never be afraid to ask questions, and most of all, there is always someone who loves you and willing to help you. The way I see it, Big Bird will never leave Sesame Street. He is the soul of the show and represents everything that Sesame Street is. In other words, Big Bird is Sesame Street. Never forget that. :wisdom::wisdom::wisdom:

Overall, I look forward to season 41 this year. I also think that the episode guide is not as short as it really looks. It's probably not even complete yet.
That was really well put, zns.

Btw, no the episode guide isn't complete yet.

Mupp

Reaction score
We need to remember that although we may not like that some of the characters getting more screen time than others, the young kids (the target audience) adores these characters.

I remember years ago when I saw Elmo in Grouchland in theaters, as soon as Ernie appeared on screen, all of the kids got really excited and shouted "Ernie! Hi Ernie!" and of course, Ernie 'replied' "Hi everybody!"
And they got just as excited when Elmo first appeared in his room.

So, there is really no need to worry, kids love these characters, both the old and newer ones.