Sesame Street Season 38 Preview

Status
Not open for further replies.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Okay, here's another little something I'm curious about: last season we were told that the main theme/curiculum for that season would be geared more towards preparing young children for "big kid school" (or elementary school I guess), however it seemed to me that last season (like season 36 which is now my favorite season for personal reasons) was still mostly centered around exercizing, eating healthy foods, being more active and the like while the subject of school in general was only mentioned in a few episodes like Abby's first day at school (which I STILL haven't been able to see) and Miles and Gabi's graduation... so I'm wondering if the main theme of season 38 once again will be health-oriented?

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
D'Snowth said:
Okay, here's another little something I'm curious about: last season we were told that the main theme/curiculum for that season would be geared more towards preparing young children for "big kid school" (or elementary school I guess), however it seemed to me that last season (like season 36 which is now my favorite season for personal reasons) was still mostly centered around exercizing, eating healthy foods, being more active and the like while the subject of school in general was only mentioned in a few episodes like Abby's first day at school (which I STILL haven't been able to see) and Miles and Gabi's graduation... so I'm wondering if the main theme of season 38 once again will be health-oriented?
Well, Sesame Street is part of Sesame Workshop's big multi-year "Healthy Habits for Life" initiative. So although Season 35's was "all about nutrition and exercise", the concept of promoting the keys of a healthy lifestyle is a big part of what Sesame stands for now (just as much as teaching letters and numbers). They are not just looking at healthy eating and exercise as a "let's focus on it every so many years" type of learning concept – they see it as a daily objective of the show, it is a big objective and it is an important objective. I would expect to see Sesame Street continuing to deal with issues of a healthy lifestyle for many years (probably until the youth "health crisis" in America is "won"). Teaching kids to read, count, deal with feelings, and interact with others has always been a big part of what Sesame Street stood for. Sesame Street is also, now more than ever, striving towards the goal of teaching kids to take care of themselves physically – eat right, exercise, etc. It wasn't ment to be just a one-year thing, it's a significant additional to the learning goals. So season 36 had a lot of health and nutrition stuff and I'm sure season 37 will too.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
GelflingWaldo said:
Well, Sesame Street is part of Sesame Workshop's big multi-year "Healthy Habits for Life" initiative. So although Season 35's was "all about nutrition and exercise", the concept of promoting the keys of a healthy lifestyle is a big part of what Sesame stands for now (just as much as teaching letters and numbers). They are not just looking at healthy eating and exercise as a "let's focus on it every so many years" type of learning concept – they see it as a daily objective of the show, it is a big objective and it is an important objective. I would expect to see Sesame Street continuing to deal with issues of a healthy lifestyle for many years (probably until the youth "health crisis" in America is "won"). Teaching kids to read, count, deal with feelings, and interact with others has always been a big part of what Sesame Street stood for. Sesame Street is also, now more than ever, striving towards the goal of teaching kids to take care of themselves physically – eat right, exercise, etc. It wasn't ment to be just a one-year thing, it's a significant additional to the learning goals. So season 36 had a lot of health and nutrition stuff and I'm sure season 37 will too.
Hey Waldo, I think you're one season off on each season you just mentioned.:wink:

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
D'Snowth said:
Hey Waldo, I think you're one season off on each season you just mentioned.:wink:
Do'h! That's what you get when you write a post at 01:30 in the morning after a long and tiring day. Well Just +1 to all the season numbers. :embarrassed:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
GelflingWaldo said:
Do'h! That's what you get when you write a post at 01:30 in the morning after a long and tiring day. Well Just +1 to all the season numbers. :embarrassed:
Lol!:smile:

dwayne1115

Reaction score
wow even Greg get tierd, im shocked our muppet news man should never be tired.:attitude:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Here's my reply...

Abby Caddaby, the newest addition to the Sesame Street cast, will return in season 38. Last season the newcomer eased into audience view, as she appeared in only 3 of the 26 new episodes. This season however, it is said that Abby will be seen a lot more. Puppeteer, Leslie Carrara, said that fans will be able to spot her in "almost every episode next season".
Okay, Ick!

And those craving the "classics" need not worry because Big Bird, Oscar the Grouch, Cookie Monster, Count von Count, Grover, Bert, Ernie, Snuffy, Rosita, Baby Bear, Curly Bear, Zoe, Elmo and all the rest will be back too. For the past 8-years, "Elmo's World" has been a staple segment of the series. The popular segment will return with several new episodes – covering such topics as mouths, noses, violins and the beach.
Firstly, if the show were just Abby and Baby Marco, it would really be silly. J/k :halo: I wonder if "Clasics" means just staple characters or they're planning on a random resurgence of some character that hasn't been around in a while. Look at Mumford in that one season (34? I think), and Gladys the Cow. I saw Barkley in what appeared to be a new song featuring Elmo last season.

The New Elmo's worlds seem odd subjects. How long do you think it's gonna take them to run out? And don't we have (get ready for this one) too many unnescisary violins on TV as it is? Couldn't help myself.

Ever since the first episode in 1969, celebrities have been an integral part of the show. This season will be no exception as several big name celebs have already recorded new inserts for inclusion in season 38. Anderson Cooper will demonstrate Grouch journalism with the help of Oscar and Grouch reporters Dan Rathernot and Walter Cranky. James Blunt will sing a about triangles to Telly with a variant on his song "You're Beautiful". And Elmo will get a lesson in football from the New York Jets (Coach Eric Mangini and players Ben Graham, Laveranues Coles and Chad Pennington).
I will say I am kinda sick of the celebs doing parodies of their own songs. I know Chris Cerf doesn't work their anymore, but we really need to see more Bruce Stringbean/ Beetles type things with Puppet satires of the group.

What I want to know, are there any great parody segments like this and last year? Law and Order was the best thing I've seen on SS in some time.

They are not just looking at healthy eating and exercise as a "let's focus on it every so many years" type of learning concept – they see it as a daily objective of the show, it is a big objective and it is an important objective. I would expect to see Sesame Street continuing to deal with issues of a healthy lifestyle for many years (probably until the youth "health crisis" in America is "won").
By the quotes I take it you mean the health crisis can never really be won, and it's all phoney paranoia, like I do? I am so sick of this "Fear of a Fat planet" crap. There will ALWAYS be fat people. All this does is make said fat people (myself being one) feel worse about themselves. White guilt, liberal guilt... now we have to have overweight guilt too? Hah ha ha... I know there's a problem in this country, but I honestly think a lot of it has to do with the rich/poor gap and our nations secret depression problem. But if it makes them sleep good at night knowing that beating kids over the head with this is gonna solve anything, I can't complain.

Anyway, I REALLY REALLY REE-HEEE-HEALLY hope that they get rid of "Get up, it's time to play" and just throw in more muppet and animation segments. They probably won't, but jeez... you don't think it could get worse than JTE or EW and this happens....

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
The overweight issue is tricky for me. On one hand, we don't eat very well in this country, neither do we think of the consequences later on. However, all this talk should be about being healthy, not about being skinny and looking good.

Drtooth

Reaction score
As I've said, it's more than meets the eye when it comes to the "Obesity" epidemic. Firstly, do you know how rediculously small being considered "overweight" is? When I hear "obesity episdemic" I feel that when I walk out the door, EVERYONE I see is gonna be fat. I don't see too many more people being fat now than ever beofre. But then again, it might also be a regional issue. A lot of southern fare has things fried that I don't think are necissarry and they smother some of that in gravy. Not to mention it's also a rich/poor issue. Fatty foods are cheap, and poor people gotta eat too. Then of course, the depressed eaters who just don't care. I'm a recovering one of those.

But then that begs the question... what if Sesame Street dealt with depression? I mean, it's hard to say there's a lot of misery for 2 year olds out there, but they really need to introduce a character who is usually sad, but not in a comic manner. But very mildly done. It would be a great way to teach kids to be able to talk to someone about their feelings. I think that mental health is just as important as physical.

With that said, I sure the heck hope that the profits from the TMX dolls help fund this season so we can see more new stuff.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
I know what you mean. I live in the south and pretty much everybody aroung where I live is over weight. That's the report I get ever time I walk out my front door, anyway.:stick_out_tongue:

Status
Not open for further replies.