Sesame Street Old School DVD's: Not For Kids

D'Snowth

Reaction score
A spokesman for Sesame Workshop says that the reason for the disclaimer is that many of the things the kids do in the old show, like playing in a dump, wouldn't fly with today's oh-so-careful world.

If we're living in an "oh-so-careful" world, then why are kids being encouraged to swear and curse after they finish kindergarten?

The only thing I've seen improve in our world today are the PSAs that tell parents to teach children to wait until marriage before they have sex.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
If we're living in an "oh-so-careful" world, then why are kids being encouraged to swear and curse after they finish kindergarten?

Good point. Personally I think it's because society does not have its priorities in order. They are so concerned about being "oh-so-careful" about silly PC things, that they are not noticeing the real problems creeping in.

Plus, I think part of being "oh-so-careful" is learning to follow the pack and be like everyone else. And then we're shocked when our kids listen to peer pressure and do stupid things.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Good point. Personally I think it's because society does not have its priorities in order. They are so concerned about being "oh-so-careful" about silly PC things, that they are not noticeing the real problems creeping in.

Plus, I think part of being "oh-so-careful" is learning to follow the pack and be like everyone else. And then we're shocked when our kids listen to peer pressure and do stupid things.
That makes sense...

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Thanks! Well, I do think parents want their kids to be happy. Which is good, of course. Life can be very hard for a kid who doesn't fit in. But I do think parents often spend too much time encouraging their kids to be "normal" and not encouraging individuality and strength of character. And again, later on they're stunned when their kids are doing exactly what they're unwise friends are doing. I do think a lot of the destructive behavior we see comes from an inherent lack of confidence and lack of love of oneself.

Not that parents shouldn't encourage their kids to be sociable, btw. People do need friends in this life, goodness knows. :smile: :smile:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Thanks! Well, I do think parents want their kids to be happy. Which is good, of course. Life can be very hard for a kid who doesn't fit in. But I do think parents often spend too much time encouraging their kids to be "normal" and not encouraging individuality and strength of character. And again, later on they're stunned when their kids are doing exactly what they're unwise friends are doing. I do think a lot of the destructive behavior we see comes from an inherent lack of confidence and lack of love of oneself.

Not that parents shouldn't encourage their kids to be sociable, btw. People do need friends in this life, goodness knows. :smile: :smile:
And believe me, my parents always encouraged my individuality... which may explain why I never did fit in when I was growing up.:smirk:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I don't want to go too much off topic, hehe, but I think it's especially hard being an individual as a child. It gets easier as you get older because you get to meet a more varied group of people. Of course, even then, being yourself is never easy, it does take strength. But in the end, I'd rather go through the pain and know I accomplished something, than feel I always played it safe and never stood out. :smile: