Sesame Street Magazine: October 2004

D'Snowth

Reaction score
This is really a special issue, for in this issue, Global Grover takes us around the world, not only to learn about other cultures, but to meet international Muppets from international versions of Sesame Street!

* Inside Cover Trivia: Sesame Street is the longest running street in the world! The first international broadcast was in Brazil in 1972. Since that time, children in more than 120 countries, have been able to watch some version of SESAME STREET. International productions are developed to reflect ther culture and address the specific needs of that country.

* There's No Place Like Home: This section covers different kinds of homes that different kind of people live in in other countries. Carved-out caves in Turkey, Houseboats in India, houses that sit on stilts in Thailand, and painted houses in South Africa. This is where we meet Kami from Takalani Sesame. She is a little yellow monster in a green vest. Also, you can draw a picture of where you live.

* Number of the Day: A family of 4 in Jordan have their traditional dinner of mansaf, spicy fafafel, and olives. Also we meet Juljul, a blue monster with a purple nose, and yellow hair, and Tonton, who looks like Mary Monster; both from Hikayat Simsim.

* Letter of the Day: Big Bird visits his cousin, Abelardo (from Plaza Sesamo of course), who is enjoying a fiesta with marachi music. The letter of the day is M.

* Proud as a PEACOCK: Zoe and her from China, Ziao Mei Zi (who looks like a female version of Elmo from Zhima Jie) do the traditional Chinese Peacock Dance (also seen in The Street We Live On).

* Tip Toe Through the Tulips: Pino, the blue Big Bird of Netherlands from Sesamstraat goes on a walk through the countryside, and you have to guide him to a windmill. Ieniemienie the mouse goes on a little bikeride through town, and you have to guide her to Bert on his bike. And last but not least, Tommie the Dog, and Purk the pig (the new baby) ride through the canals to the docks.

* Pull Out Poster: It's a grouchy reunion with Oscar, Grundgetta, and Irvine reunite with grouches from other versions of Sesame Street. These grouches include: Pancho, the blue grouch from Plaza Sesamo, Rumpel the oscar who lives in a rain barrell from Sesamstraase in Germany, and Moishe, the brown grouch from Rechov Sumsum in Isreal.

* Elmo's World: Elmo makes crafts from various countries. First he watches a little girl make origami, and we meet Small Bird from Sesame Street in Japan. The Elmo watches a boy and his father from Chile make rainsticks from hollow dried cactus trunks with the needles punched in, and pebbles inside the trunk, with both ends secured. When you shake, it makes the sound of an approaching rain storm. In Java, Indonesia, a little girl makes puppets to use from a shadow puppet show. And in West Africa, and little boy makes a traditional African mask you can color in.

* Sesame Safari: This month, we learn about marsupeals. Kookaburras live in forests, parks, and gardens. We know that mother kangaroos hold their joeys in their pouches. A Moloch lizard (or throny devil) has spikes to protect itself from predators, but is harmless to humans. And of course, Koalas have sharp claws to hold onto tree trunks.

*Dragon Tales: A little Halloween themed board game as you move Emmy and Max through while picking numbers out of a pile.

* Global Grover: We meet Nimnim from Egypt (a big green monster with a colorful vest), Brosh from Isreal (who looks like the old orange monster from such skits as Grover the waiter, and the Mega Monsters series),and Businka from Russia (a little pink monster). Also, Grover wants you to draw a picture of yourself, and/or your family.

Well that's this month's issue of Sesame Street Magazine. This is such a monumental issue, I wish I had a scanner to share it with you all, but I tried to give as much details as I could about each section.

Bluebee

Reaction score
Is this the Sesame Street magazine through Parenting Magazine? :smile:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Yup, the two "joined forces" back in 2001, and ever since then, you hadf to get SSM through Parenting. :rolleyes: But it's worth it to get SSM.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Wow! Truly a terrific omage to SS throughout the world. A few questions.
Which Avelardo does Big Bird meet? Reason I ask is cause there are two such characters from Plaza Sesamo, the Mexican version of SS. The first one was a 7-foot tall orange dragon, replaced by a 7-foot tall green parrot.
In the pull-out poster of the grouches' reunion, who's Pancho? I thought the grouch from Plaza Sesamo was a sort of orange-brown grouch named Bodoque.
Well, hope to hear from you soon, and have a great time.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
The green parrot, they even mention on Sesame Street that he and Big Bird are cousins. In fact, Big Bird even once received a phone call from Abelardo on SS a few years back. He even has a little photo of Abelardo on his dresser, but you probably won't be able to see it that well. (Oh no offense, I didn't know until you told me awhile back.) And Pancho is a blue grouch with big yellow eyes, and brownish-orange unibrow, kind of like Herry's, only bigger and bushier. He also has a pet elephant I believe. I never heard of the grouch you mentioned. Well, hope this helps, buddy.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, thanks, it does help indeed. Stuff like this makes me think: should I include the international versions of SS in the ML? Ah well, maybe it'll get answered one of these days.

Anyway, I remember stuff from when I used to watch both the US version in the afternoons and the Mexican version in the mornings. And that's where I get my info, from my memories. But yes, Bodoque was the resident grouch before Pancho came along. And Avelardo Montoya is Big Bird's cousin, which helps distinguish him from Avelardo the orange dragon.
Well, thanks and have a great night.

MuppetDude

Reaction score
Actually, Pancho is not a grouch; I'm 100% sure he's a monster. He's referred to as a grouch because Bondoque is no longer used on the show, and Pancho is occasionally a bit gruff, but he's also very friendly.

P.S. Abelardo also made an appearance on SS in 1997. I have an edited version of this episode. The only English Abelardo knows is "Big Bird" and "Scram" (Oscar taught it to him). :smile:

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Aw man! Sore I missed out on that episode. Discontinued watching SS after the episode with Renatta Scottie Dog in 1996, just before starting my undergrad stint at my university. That would've seriously thrown my flux as to whether or not add the international characters.
There's Avelardo Montoya from the Mexican version in this episode you speak of MuppetDude, and then there are the characters who showed up on SS Stays Up Late: A 1993 New Year's Celebration.
Well, just keep an eye out for the next ML version, coming soon!decision into further

MuppetDude

Reaction score
The bird's name is spelled A-B-E-L-A-R-D-O; no "v".