Sesame Street Magazine memories

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I was reading in a thread about Herbert Birdsfoot that Sesame Street Magazine first began in 1970. Is this true? I would have thought it began in the 1980s. It is weird that the magazine began so soon after the show started.

Anyway, does anybody have any memories of this magazine? Any memories of the really early magazines?

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
That was my post you read in the Herbert Birdsfoot thread. Some time ago, I saw him and Grover on the cover of Sesame Street Magazine at an antique store. I'm pretty positive they were on issue #2 and I'm pretty sure the copyright was 1970. I may have to go back and see if I can still get those 2 magazines. I think the other one was the first issue. Just flipping through them brought back memories because so many classic characters were there on the pages! And sometimes, entire sketches performed on the show are drawn out in the magazine.
At the library I work at, we get the new issue of Sesame Street magazine all the time, so I get to flip through it whenever it comes in.:smile:

I remember looking at Sesame Street magazine some as a child, but never actually subscribing to it or anything. The main Sesame Street literature I remember are the great picture books.:frown: :stick_out_tongue:

BEAR

Reaction score
This was a great magazine. My mom subscribed for me when i was a little kid and I loved it! I dunno why we stopped getting it. I thought it was because the magazine discontinued. Is it still in business? WHy don't they offer it at the market?

jeffkjoe

Reaction score
BEAR said:
This was a great magazine. My mom subscribed for me when i was a little kid and I loved it! I dunno why we stopped getting it. I thought it was because the magazine discontinued. Is it still in business? WHy don't they offer it at the market?

Sesame Street began in 1970. I've seen the first issue for sale on Ebay and it's a drawing of Oscar the Grouch.

Sesame Street Magazine is still in publication, but you can only get it as a bonus through subscribing to Parents Magazine. We still get it for our daughter, but the catch is, we have to subscribe to Parents as well.

erniebert1234ss

Reaction score
this was my favorite children's mag ever! Highlights 4 Children never even came CLOSE!

Here's a memory, but my memory doesn't serve. Help is necesary:

There was a game which I still remember playing with cut-outs of the SS characters and they're going around some kind of track. And the object was to get your fave character to the FINISH line first or something.

HELP! :confused:

BJ :grouchy:

Pug Lover

Reaction score
There was also The Electric Company magazine in the same series.

Censored

Reaction score
Sesame Street magazine was great during the time that I read it. There were several interesting stories about interactions between characters that are every bit a part of Sesame Street history to me as skits on the show. They also had some cool games and activities in those magazines, like making your own story with random beginning, middle and end segments, stories that you could fold in to read like a book, and other things. I have a couple of back issues that are really cool. Don't really have any idea what it's like these days though.

Censored

Reaction score
Pug Lover said:
There was also The Electric Company magazine in the same series.
Yes, the interesting about the Electric Company magazine is that its publication began while the show was in its prime, yet continued to be published some time after the EC was canceled. You can always spot the post-cancellation issues because all the characters from the show are missing.

rumtar_10165

Reaction score
another mag from the CTW series was 321 Contact. and it expired due to the series being a flop, i guess.