Sesame Street Live Memories

SesameStreetGuy

Reaction score
What was the first show you saw, the first time you went to see Sesame Street Live?

My first show was "Big Bird And The ABC's" from 1987. I saw the show back in January 1994, probably one of the last shows to tour from the 80s.

The story I remember some very well, and some of it vaguely, I still wish I had the book. Here is what I remember from the show:

The backround you see first is the blue sky backround the "ABC" in red, green, and orange colors. Big Bird comes out and introuduces his friends, he brings out Ernie and Bert, Cookie Monster, Prairie Dawn, The Count, and Guy Smiley. Oscar The Grouch and Elmo(never spoke during the show) came out moments later, along with Super Grover crashing to the stage. The characters than sing a song, and than they all sing "Who Are The People in Your Neighborhood", with a AM postman and girl dancer(I think there was suppose to be two, according to what I remember seeing in the book), and they would stay out and about during the whole show. Than all of a sudden, I remember flashing dark lights started going crazy on the stage, and there came a blue female alien(probably female) named "Tee-Hee". From what I remember, she didn't know the alphabet and the SS gang decide to teach her.
I remember in the show:

*Ernie, Bert, and Tee Hee tell some knock-knock jokes.
*Cookie Monster singing "C-Is For Cookie" with back up singers with different foods, Guy Smiley with a cucumber, Count with a Carrot, and Grover with a cabbage.
*Something about Count running a popcorn stand, and he and the gang sing a song about it?? :confused:
*Something about Ernie, Bert, and Guy in shades singing some hip tune.
*A bit with the SS gang talking about nursery rhymes or something(Ernie in his pajamas).
*Guy Smiley hosting a little show with Prairie Dawn wearing a glamorous outfit.

The show ends with the gang singing "Its Time To Say Goodbye", and the SS characters wave so long from Sesame Street Live and close the curtains.

I remember a little scoreboard type box above the stage having little lighted Ernie and Bert and others waving goodbye.

Also, from what I remember Telly was suppose to be in the show(according to the book I use to have), but didn't appear!

Share your memories of SSL with show descriptions(also, if anyone could explain BB and the ABC's more than I did, that would be great).

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
You know... Me thinks I saw the advert for that one back in 1991 when my family was vacationing in Florida. Wasn't the alien character named "DJ"?
Cause the way I think I remember the advert, the announcer went: "A... B... C... And D is for DJ!"
Then the standard music played.

Will post with my memories next.

SesameStreetGuy

Reaction score
Could have been named DJ, but I kinda remember it was Tee-Hee, I'm not sure hmm.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
As for my SS Live memories...

I've gone to two different shows with my family, back when I was younger and had better sight, and when my dad was still alive.

The two shows were:
1 Big Bird getting drafted into PT Barnswallow's circus with the Seedy Birds.
2 Another one where the gang had to save SS from getting bought out and kind of going over a bit of the history of the street.

Have the books from both shows, though I rully only have memories of the second one. This may be a "Count" moment, but the lasting memory I have from that second show is a fence near the 1-2-3 brownstone under a blue sky scenery piece... And then you see the numbers from 1 to 10 light up either in the sky scenery piece or on the planks of the fence.

You know... There's a show called SS Live: Out of this World touring now with planned stops here at PR. Thought of going and maybe making a sort of review for MC, but I'm not sure especially when the show will be in Spanish. Much rather would prefer to see/go to an English SS Live show here in PR or whenever I get the chance.
Hope this helps.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Well, I went in the mid-90's. I went because I never got to go as a kid, and I could afford it on my own. I went alone. Parents were pulling their kids closer to them when they realized I was alone there! That hurt my feelings.

Of course, the sized-large Elmo t-shirt I had on was like 10 times too small...

jeffkjoe

Reaction score
I remember SESAME STREET ON ICE, which were basically the Sesame characters meets Ice Capades.

I saw a show in 1976, similar to the look and style as the beginning of Christmas Eve on Sesame Street.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I REMEMBER THAT!! COOL!! SS on Ice! Wow. Totally forgot about that. Had big curtains in the background that looked like the SS set.

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
I went with my parents when I was about 3 years old to see Sesame Street Live in 1984 for the first time. I don't remember much about the story, but I do remember there was a bad guy with a big car that made alot of noise and I was afraid of noises when I was a little kid and I became really frightened and it was like Big Bird and his friends let me down! LOL.

I got to see a couple of shows when I was older in a REALLY cool way. They used to practice the show each year at an ice arena near my house. My aunt knew someone who worked with the company and we used to get in for free to watch them practice the show before it went on tour. It was SO cool, we'd get to sit up really close. I remember seeing "Big Bird's ABC's" this way and also "When I Grow Up".

SesameStreetGuy

Reaction score
redBoobergurl said:
I went with my parents when I was about 3 years old to see Sesame Street Live in 1984 for the first time. I don't remember much about the story, but I do remember there was a bad guy with a big car that made alot of noise and I was afraid of noises when I was a little kid and I became really frightened and it was like Big Bird and his friends let me down! LOL.

I got to see a couple of shows when I was older in a REALLY cool way. They used to practice the show each year at an ice arena near my house. My aunt knew someone who worked with the company and we used to get in for free to watch them practice the show before it went on tour. It was SO cool, we'd get to sit up really close. I remember seeing "Big Bird's ABC's" this way and also "When I Grow Up".
Hey, you think you could give me the real storyline of Big Bird's ABC's, including the songs that were in it, any pictures?