1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Sesame Street History

Discussion in 'Classic Sesame Street' started by mikealan, May 11, 2003.

1. mikealan

mikealan New Member

Hello. I remember everything about Sesame Street now. Here is the history of it:

July 1969 (before Sesame Street):
    First human regulars-Gordon, Susan, Bob, Mr. Hooper and the kids
    First Muppets-only Kermit, Bert and Ernie, and the Cookie Monster (which he is named 'Monster')
    Five first shows tested

November 1969 (now Sesame Street!):
    More muppets added-Big Bird, Oscar (ORANGE), Grover (BROWNISH-GREEN), the Anything Muppets and various monsters
    Animated dots series
    Animated openings before the theme song
    The falling baker counting series
    "Jazzy Spies"-animated counting series that end with spies that reveal the numbers 1-10
    Three letters and two numbers sponsored
    Kids can count up to ten
    Oscar's trash can and Big Bird's home added
    Live-action closing

1970's:
    Grover's brownish-green fur changes into blue fur
    Oscar's orange fur changes into green fur
    Cookie Monster got his name from the 1971 premiere
    Ernie's pink-and-orange shirt changes into red-and-blue shirt
    Big Bird has more feathers
    More muppets added-Herry, the Count, Little Bird, Sherlock Hemlock, Roosevelt Franklin, Herbert Birdsfoot, etc.
    Mr. Snuffleuphagus-Big Bird's imaginary friend, nobody believes him
    More live human actors added-David, Maria, Luis, Molly, Tom, Rafael, etc.
    Sam the Robot-the full-body muppet robot that talked and walked slowly that is shown only on street scenes and greets the SS inhabitants like friendly 9th-10th graders
    the animated pinball machine series added in the late '70's-took place of the race cars/spies series
    Animated openings change into the regular theme song with the episode number in the late 70's
    A large and friendly muppet dog named Woof-Woof changes into Barkley
    Animated closing with muppets
    Two letters and one number are sponsored
    Kids can count up to 20
    Sesame Street On Ice shows are produced

1980's:
    Mr. Hooper dies, David re-runs Hooper's Store-1983
    Everyone finally sees Mr. Snuffleupagus-1985
    David hires Gina to work at Hooper's-1987
    Maria and Luis got married-1988
    Maria is pregnant and she and Luis got their new daughter named Gabriella-1989
    Gordon and Susan's son Miles is born-1985
    More human regulars added like Gina and Uncle Wally
    More muppets added like Telly Monster, Elmo, the Honkers, the Dingers, Forgetful Jones and Placido Flamingo
    David dies-1989
    Two letters and one number are still sponsored
    Kids can count up to 40
    Live-action closing with Barkley
    Sesame Place theme park opens
    Sesame Street Live arena show is produced
    Joe Raposo dies

early-mid 1990's:
    Jim Henson and Richard Hunt dies
    Mr. Handford re-runs Hooper's
    Even more muppets added like Zoe, Rosita, Baby Bear, Benny the Bunny and Davey & Joey Monkey
    the "Around the Corner" set is behind Sesame Street for just a couple of years
    Telly and Baby Bear become best friends
    The SS opening changes, the music is calypso, scenes with muppets
    Tickle Me Elmo dolls are available in stores
    Two letters and one number are still sponsored
    Animated closing with Elmo, Big Bird and the kids
    Jon Stone dies

1998-2000:
    Elmo becomes more and more popular and appears on his own segment, "Elmo's World"
    Alan is introduced and re-runs Hooper's
    The SS opening changes-scenes with Big Bird following the kids to Sesame Street
    New segments added like Sesame Street Goes to Day Care, Monster Day Care and Ernie's Show-and-Tell
    Jeffery Moss dies
    Muppets like Bert, Ernie, Big Bird, Zoe, etc. present the letter/number of the day
    New animated segments like Suzie Kaboozie skits
    One letter and one number sponsored
    Lulu-the Anything Muppet monster

Today:
    Frank Oz quits in 2001 and returns in 2003
    Much newer segments like Cookie Monster presenting the Letter of the Day, the Count presenting the Number of the Day, Big Bird's own opening scene, Monster Time: features classic monster segments and the Monster Clubhouse, the newest monster segment, Hero Guy with Baby Bear and his imaginary animated friend named Hero Guy, Global Grover, and Journey To Ernie (segments where Big Bird has to search for Ernie before it fades to the classic Ernie and Bert segment).
    Mr. Noodle's brother Mr. Noodle dies-2003
    One letter and one number are sponsored
    Kids can count up to 100

That's the history of Sesame Street...
  2. The Count

The Count Moderator Staff Member

Thanks for the summarized history lesson, Mikealan. There's just one thing wrong with that presentation. Susan never gave birth to Miles, played by Rosco Orman's real-life son Miles Orman. No, what happened was that in 1986/1987, Gordon and Susan decided to adopt a son and brought Baby Miles back with them to Sesame Street. This was done to help teach about the availability of adoption for parents who aren't able of having naturally born children of their own. I distinctly remember this happened around that time, cause back then when I was still firmly connected to SS, my mom pointed out a black and white picture as part of an article highlighting this as the big-to-do moment of the season in our local newspaper's entertainment section. Hope this helps, have a great day, and thanks again for the briefer about our favorite Street.
  3. mikealan

mikealan New Member

:)

Hey, Count! Maybe we can add the history of Sesame Street I typed on the Sesame Street Encyclopedia site. I hope Tommie and BlueFrackle would make the "History" page for this site...
  4. GeeBee

GeeBee New Member

Also, the statement "David dies" is technically incorrect. The actor who played him, Northern Calloway, died, but the character moved to live on his grandmother's farm.
  5. zrs70

zrs70 New Member

airline

Regarding animated opening and closing. I don't remember this.... Can you elaborate?
  6. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

I would still like to find a color photo of the brownish-green Grover. BTW, was there another version of the S.S. theme tune besides the original, the calyspo, and 1998-2001, and the 2003-present one?
  7. ssetta

ssetta Active Member

Nope, that's all the opening themes.
  8. SSUfan

SSUfan New Member

desperatly searching for Sesame Street Unpaved episodes

Hi everyone ,

I am new here does anyone here have copies of Sesame Street unpaved episodes which i may be able to purchase I have been searching for these episodes for such a long time please help..
    Martin
  9. Boober_Gorg

Boober_Gorg Active Member

Looky hyuh ...
  10. SSUfan

SSUfan New Member

not sure... Whts the name of the Sesame street out law that wanted to know Y?
  11. Splurge

Splurge Member

Sinister Sam.
  12. SSUfan

SSUfan New Member

wow you actually got it ......

see this is why I an dying to get thes episodes I want my son to get the same enjoyment we had while looking at these classics........ok here another one what song did Dolly Parton sing when she was introduced on a stage with a guy standing in the corner?...see if you can get this one?
  13. ssetta

ssetta Active Member

"I'm Under the Weather Over You."
  14. Frodis

Frodis Member

I remember seeing a few episodes in the early 80's where the SS cast went to David's grandmother's house for a visit. Anyone else remember these shows?

Frodis

BTW, the actress that played David's grandmother also played Cliff's mother on "The Cosby Show".
  15. TonioMiguel

TonioMiguel New Member

The name of the cowboy who wanted to know Y?

I believe his name was Sinester Sam. I am not sure Y he had a name similar to a warner brothers character but I am almost sure that was his name. :eek:
  16. Don_Music_2004

Don_Music_2004 New Member

Was this during the 1983-1984 season?? Because I vaguely remember watching an episode when they were on a Farm and I remeber Oscar was there and It seems like I remember him doing something with a bunch of kids, I think they were David's relatives cause they were all Black, but I remember like an egg of something falling on Oscar's head or him getting hit in the head with an Egg, and he had yolk on his face. I remember after they announced the letter and number, they showed a freeze frame of Oscar with the broken egg on his head. I was very little when I saw this epsisode, so I barely rememeber even watching it!! Mabye someone can tell me more about it. :grouchy: :grouchy: :grouchy:
  17. jeffkjoe

jeffkjoe New Member

Also, the history of SESAME STREET is that there wasn't any Cookie Monster, Kermit, or any other Muppets on the show in July 1969 except Ernie and Bert, according to the A & E Biography.
  18. Don_Music_2004

Don_Music_2004 New Member

I think if the show would have stayed that way, it would not have lasted 35 years!! Or imagine if the show was STILL like that today? What a dull show it would be.
  19. Mark The Shark

Mark The Shark New Member

Does anyone have copies of these? Did you see them? What do you remember about them? They did air on PBS before the show itself premiered, right? Didn't it have some different actors?

As far as I know, the clip we've all seen with Kermit and Rowlf is not from these five "test shows," but actually from a network prime time preview special.

"Blue Grover" first appeared on show #131 (second season premiere, aired November 9, 1970). That is also when Oscar turned green and Ernie and Bert's appearances changed (most noticeably Ernie, with the colors of his shirt also changing). Herbert Birdsfoot also debuted on that show and from what I have read, he *replaced* Kermit in his instructional skits for that season (though Kermit segments from the previous year continued to be repeated as well), but Kermit returned in new segments the following season and I am also under the impression that no *new* Herbert Birdsfoot segments were produced after that, though they did continue to be repeated for many years. Can anyone definitely verify any of this?

On the cover of the "Sesame Street Book And Record," first released by Columbia Records in 1970, Cookie Monster is called Cookie Monster. On the back cover, the performers are credited with their characters. It states "Frank Oz as Bert and Cookie Monster." There definitely is a Season 1 skit with Cookie Monster involving cookies, and it is in one of the early "Unpaved" episodes. So the name probably followed some time shortly afterward, but as I said, definitely by the end of the first season, because on the back cover of the album (released during the first season), he is clearly identified as Cookie Monster (though inside, there is a drawing of Cookie Monster and Beautiful Day which is just captioned "Two Monsters").
  20. BWSmith

BWSmith New Member

Y'all forgot about Buffy, Sheldon, and baby Cody, the singing urban Indians, who packed up and moved to a teepee in Hawaii in 1978.

Her character was apparently designed to appeal to Native American families living in major metropolitan areas who were threatening to move off and live in teepees in Hawaii...
    :confused: