Sesame Street Friday closing credits

MuppetDude

Reaction score
Vic Romano said:
I always felt bad for the puppeteer who played Barkley, it just seemed like he'd get tired fast from being huddled over and always running everywhere, and you know that suit had to be hot.
Last year, Fred Garbo (who played Barkley during the mid-80s) was part of an acrobatic/clown group (wearing big, gigantic inflatable ball-like suits) and was interviewed by a local news group in Kentucky (which was a part of his tour), and was reminded by the anchor about being on Sesame Street. As they shown footage of FTB (the crowd scene at the beginning), Garbo mentioned that it's the first time he seen footage of him in the movie, and recalls fainting after the first take.

Caroll Spinney also mentioned in his book that Brian Muehl (who also played Barkley) had stilts clamped to his hands and feet when in the dog suit.

Boober_Gorg

Reaction score
MuppetDude said:
Last year, Fred Garbo (who played Barkley during the mid-80s) was part of an acrobatic/clown group (wearing big, gigantic inflatable ball-like suits) and was interviewed by a local news group in Kentucky (which was a part of his tour), and was reminded by the anchor about being on Sesame Street. As they shown footage of FTB (the crowd scene at the beginning), Garbo mentioned that it's the first time he seen footage of him in the movie, and recalls fainting after the first take.
Interesting. I think he also played a mute lavender gorilla named Garbo in this library scene I have from '86, in which Garbo does a book-balancing trick to earn a banana.

MuppetDude

Reaction score
Is this a Sesame clip?

And would Garbo be considered a Muppet?

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
earlier closing credits

I also like the closing credits from circa 1972. Same music as the Barkley credits, but visually it's a drawing of all the Muppets (Starting with Grover flying an airplane) that scrolls down and ends at Street level by Oscar's garbage can.
If you watch carefully, you see Grover pops up three or four times.
Word has it the artwork is the handiwork of Michael Frith, who illustrated a number of Sesame books in the early/mid 70's, and who is married to Kathryn Mullen, the voice/performer of Mokey Fraggle. Groovy with a capital G. :big_grin:

MuppetDude

Reaction score
If you look closely, the credits list an "Illustrator".

ssetta

Reaction score
fuzzygobo said:
I also like the closing credits from circa 1972. Same music as the Barkley credits, but visually it's a drawing of all the Muppets (Starting with Grover flying an airplane) that scrolls down and ends at Street level by Oscar's garbage can.
If you watch carefully, you see Grover pops up three or four times.
Word has it the artwork is the handiwork of Michael Frith, who illustrated a number of Sesame books in the early/mid 70's, and who is married to Kathryn Mullen, the voice/performer of Mokey Fraggle. Groovy with a capital G. :big_grin:
I liked those, too. And I have heard about this one that was used from about 1974 until about 1978 or so, that showed hands on a steering wheel driving down a country road. Anyone remember this one?

NorkNork

Reaction score
ssetta said:
Was she a nice girl? How old is she now?
I wouldn't know. It's been so long since we've talked to anyone in that building cos we live in the suburbs now.

NorkNork

Reaction score
zyzzybalubah said:
Is there an MP3 or video file of this avaiable anywhere? I've been desperately looking for it for years!!!
If you go to soundamerica.com under there's part of the file available. Also the rapper MF Doom samples the song on this song called Kookies on his new album, MMM...Food.