Sesame Street films

denimalex

Reaction score
How about the one that makes me cringe at the thought of little kids and sweets:

There's a kid probably about 18 months old sitting in a high chair with a seemingly harmless cookie. The VO is Cookie Monster saying "oh what you got there... oh coo-kieee!.... oh it is chocolate cookie..."
The toddler eats the cookie, smearing chocolate all over the mouth. Cookie Monster is going along reporting the actions like a golf game "oh it looks delicious... but you getting your face messy... me don't mind if me get my fur dirty... oh, you still enjoying cookie..."
At the end of the film, the kid's face is entirely covered in chocolate, and looks disturbing. Cookie Monster is cheering "ha ha ha!"
This was likely done in the 70's with a lot of the other SS films and as a kid myself couldn't understand how the kid in the film got so dirty from just one cookie.

But then again I don't have children

denimalex

Reaction score
There was another short film that showed the beginning of a snowstorm, with music that accompanied the scenery quite well. There were a lot of still shots of places in NYC that were less famous than what we're accustomed to. But it worked - you could see the overall picture the combination of music and film put together in low budget - but the product was that a la Koyannisqatsi (which was not too far down the road).

I dunno - Maybe I looked too deeply in it for the fact that I like snowstorms, but the short has stuck with me all of these years.

denimalex

Reaction score
I'm getting acquainted with the site a little more now, and to tell you the truth, have spent now several hours looking at all of the posts on classic SS.

One I've seen no mention of yet for the short films category (and believe me there are others too) is another 70's one that must have been called "lumiere". The camera zooms into a source of artificial light, such as a street light, neon, vehicle, or something else in the city. Funky progressive 70's muzak plays, jazzy if you will, until the camera is done zooming and a chorus of voices (like maybe Manhattan Transfer) sings "lumiere" in a chord. This continues for another time or two until the "chorus" has descending "lumiere" chords and quicker changes in light sources.
I think the verse and chorus repeat two times. It seemed kind of dark and hauntingly strange.
So of course when I took French in high school and we learned the word for light - guess what popped in my head.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
those 2 must me old ones. i remember i about snow. one part of it show 3 boys around age 10 walking down the street and eating snow. wasn't the 1st part but the 1st after showing the neighborhood seens and then ending with somebody ice skating and falling.

dustinrn

Reaction score
what about I-beam?

does anyone remember the terrifying red-hot "I" film of an I-beam being rolled in a steel mill? That is the absolute best live-action film of SS EVER!!! Who else agrees? :flirt: :frown: :sleep:

denimalex

Reaction score
The I beam film is a classic. I remember seeing this several times as a kid and thought that it was pretty neat, but the general consensus seems to say that it was kind of scary. Makes sense to me as the music was (as I remember) very driving and suspenseful with horns, and the final shot of the film is the red hot I leaning off its balance a bit.

The ice cubes building the word ICE film also fits in this category. There isn't any background music, but the early synth sounds were very cool - especially after the word is built and VO says "Ice" - the ice melts in time lapse photography.

denimalex

Reaction score
mikebennidict said:
haven't thought of this 1 in a while. it's about the seasons and a lady is singing the song look around.
That sounds like the one with Maria singing various stuff about seasons, nature and people. Almost every line begins with "I am..." and ends with "I am the world." This song STILL gets stuck in my head whenever I am outside hiking in the fall or whatever.

denimalex

Reaction score
One more to ponder for today. Who remembers the fireworks alphabet - and how the heck was that actually done?

mikebennidict

Reaction score
denimalex said:
That sounds like the one with Maria singing various stuff about seasons, nature and people. Almost every line begins with "I am..." and ends with "I am the world." This song STILL gets stuck in my head whenever I am outside hiking in the fall or whatever.
don't think that was Maria