Sesame Street films

mikebennidict

Reaction score
Rosewood said:
You mean the one that shows the giant electric magnet on the end of a crane as it picks up old car parts and such in a junk yard? If that is what your refering to, yes! (I also recal one with a wrecking ball and it seems that, somehow or another they were centered around 2 boys eating ice cream.)
now I do remember a film about a wrecking ball however, and you may have another such film in mind but the 1 i remember was about both a steam shovel and a wrecking ball tearing down probably some old factory building and Olivia was narrating this film. matter of fact there were a few of these with her narrating such as a street paving film and 1 about digging a hole for a new building.

Rosewood

Reaction score
Ah, I remember it well......

Ziffel said:
I remember they used that late 60's song by Tiny Tim, "Tip Toe Through the Tulips." That was in a cartoon where the man says, "A...Ape." And then in the box above him an ape appears playing a banjo and starts singing the song.
I also recall them using the great music from the movie "The Sting." And great music from "2001: A Space Odyssey" was used in The Electric Company but can't recall for sure if SS did too.
I think the Ape cartoon was actually for the letter g. The man presenting the letter says "G - gorilla". Then the gorilla (in the frame he's presenting) grabs a guitar and starts to play it while singing, (in a high pitched voice), the scentence " Tip-toe, through the tulips!" Then the gorilla stops and walks off screen, and the man doing the presentation says "Gee".

I remember "The Sting" music as well, but cat recall what film it was used for.

But, as for the "Space Odyssey" music, Yes they did use it on SS for the same cartoon as TEC did. In fact I just saw a re-run of one of those clips the other day on one of the more recent SS episodes: it shows 2 animated cavemen faceing each other in a stand-off of some sort. One of them yells "ME!", and thumps his chest, then the other does the same. They do this back and forth for a bit, then the music starts to play as the screen pans out to show a giant cement or stone slab, standing on end. When the drum roll part of the music starts, the slab starts to crumble and fall away, exposing the word "Me" above them. A deep booming voice, from out of nowhere, then says "ME!", to whitch the cave men respond to by one saying "Right!" (and scramming, stage left) and the other saying "Gotcha!" (and scramming, stage right)! :big_grin:

Rosewood

Reaction score
mikebennidict said:
this one was another dolphin film made in the 80s with Raposo singing a song called water baby. while the song title sound dumb to me it was still a nice song. this other one might have been mentioned already though i'm not sure. i 1st saw also in the 80s but read once on one of the SS yahoo groups it apparently goes back to the early days. the film about Peanut butter being made and the song it takes a lot of little nut to make a jar of peanut butter. looks older and if it is it's interesting that they at some point pulled it out of the vault one day after not showing it for years. like they must of forgotten about it or something.
I love the "Waterbaby" song! I am fortunate enough to have the entire clip on DVD, as well as others like "somebody come and play" with the snow leopards, "Take a Breath!", "Everybody Eats!", "Everybody Sleeps", and "Blueberry Mouth", to name a few. I love these old song clips, especially ones by Raposo. If any one out there would be interested in trading or would simply like to get a copy of any of these, free of charge, just contact me at rosejaneh2o@hotmail.com and I'll be glad to make a copy for you.

As for the peanut butter, I just started a thread about "Cookie Monster making peanut butter" and I'll bet this is the film they used in that sketch! :excited:

Rosewood

Reaction score
Ziffel said:
I was only kidding, mike. Xerus said the letters they used were h o and r and that he always wondered what they were spelling so I just said maybe it was 3 out of 5 letters of the word horse, but was just saying for fun. :smile:
And I see in the early post you mentioned in this thread that you specified the letters h, o and r. I had forgotten where I saw these brought up here before. But TEC one doesn't come to mind.
its funny, but, somewhere in this SS clip filled brain of mine, I could swear that I remember seing a letter G being hoisted as well.

Rosewood

Reaction score
Does anyone remember these?

I remember a short film showing a koala bear in a tree with good old Joe (I believe) singing "Rock-a-bye, Baby". The reason I remember it so well is because my mother used to be employed at the San Diego Zoo, and told me about a blind koala bear they had once had there. When I first saw this film when I was 3, my mom saw it, too, and said she could swear it was the same bear.
I also remember Joe reposo's song of "Weave, Little Weaver Bird!" but havn't seen it in ages.
Another film I remember showed a tiny little turtle, swimming around with other fish in a basic 10 gallon fish tank. There were no words to it, just a catchy little tune that went for 1 or 2 minutes.

Ziffel

Reaction score
Rosewood said:
I think the Ape cartoon was actually for the letter g. The man presenting the letter says "G - gorilla". Then the gorilla (in the frame he's presenting) grabs a guitar and starts to play it while singing, (in a high pitched voice), the scentence " Tip-toe, through the tulips!" Then the gorilla stops and walks off screen, and the man doing the presentation says "Gee".
Yes that's exactly right that he sang just the one line (and in a high pitched voice) and then walked away. However, I'd bet you a cookie and a milkshake at Mr. Hooper's store that it was "A,Ape" and not "G,Gorilla". I can clearly picture the sound of that little cartoon man saying, "A" at the end. :wink:

Rosewood

Reaction score
Ziffel said:
Yes that's exactly right that he sang just the one line (and in a high pitched voice) and then walked away. However, I'd bet you a cookie and a milkshake at Mr. Hooper's store that it was "A,Ape" and not "G,Gorilla". I can clearly picture the sound of that little cartoon man saying, "A" at the end. :wink:
You know, you could very well be correct. There is a cartoon segment, however, (remembered in my feeble mind) where the guy at the end of cartoon plainly says "Gee" and I remember it because it was basically a double meaning -Gee, as an expression; and G, as a letter he had just spoke of. Do you happen to recall anything of this nature?

Ziffel

Reaction score
I'm not sure if there is a g one like that with those short balloon frame segments or not. One I can think of that had the double meaning of g, however, was the one where Jack planted a letter b and then a beanstalk grew and he climbed it. When he got to the top he was in the land of B. He said, "Gee." And a man up there said, "Not g, it's b." We had a lot of fun discussing this sketch recently in the "What's your favorite letter segment?" thread. We even came up with some of our own versions for what might have happened had Jack planted other letters. Check out the posts in the month of August for that thread if this is the one you were thinking about. :smile:

Ziffel

Reaction score
Rosewood said:
I remember a short film showing a koala bear in a tree with good old Joe (I believe) singing "Rock-a-bye, Baby". The reason I remember it so well is because my mother used to be employed at the San Diego Zoo, and told me about a blind koala bear they had once had there. When I first saw this film when I was 3, my mom saw it, too, and said she could swear it was the same bear.
I liked this one a lot. It starts out with pretty instrumental music and whistling doing the "Rock-a-bye Baby" song. And then the voice part. I'm not sure if that was Joe Raposo or not. The voice was a little different in this one, but that could be because he was singing it rather gently. Whenever it came on, I would think of an uncle of mine because the voice sounded similar in this one. As a very small child of about five, I even thought it was my uncle at first! Likewise in the "There once was hand" segment. When the guy said the line, "He could not for the life of him make a noise!" it sounded a lot like the dad of a friend of mine down the street. I thought it really was him when I was about 5 or 6!
Anyway, the koala bear footage added to the appeal of this segment. I think everyone enjoys looking at koala bears and pandas. :smile:

BEAR

Reaction score
i like the one where they show the peanut butter factory and the crayon factory. I also like the one where they give the elephant a bath.