Sesame Street DVD for injured veterans

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
If they needed to touch on this subject, they could have made the characters Fire fighters or police officers, who also are in danger of sever injury or even death on a daily basis.
I would love if they did a piece on Fire fighters or Police officers at any time, they would definitely deserve it.

But I don't mind them showing soldiers either. This war may be unjust, but sometimes war is unfortunately necessary. If WWII hadn't been fought, the world would be a very different place (we would certainly not be able to sit pleasantly in our homes arguing these topics right now!). And there is still a terrorist threat in the world. Doing nothing in the face of it would be wrong. If we want to have values in our society (such as compassion and liberty for all) we have to also be willing to protect them when they are threatened. Otherwise, we don't deserve them.

Of course, we don't always have liberty and justice for all. No country is perfect; you won't find one that is. But America is still the better choice over so many other places (like say, Afghanistan, China and Iran). But it won't be unless it is defended from people out to make trouble.

The Catholic faith does have a Just War theory, which is a strict list of guidelines. And only under these conditions is it permissable to go to war. Mainly when people's human rights are being violated:

"Force may be used only to correct a grave, public evil, i.e., aggression or massive violation of the basic human rights of whole populations."

And they can't have actual stories of actual humans, rather than Muppets? I mean, this isn't like having an HIV positive character in Africa. You're forcing mortality on characters who are (like any cartoon creation) immortal. it kills the magic in oh so many ways.
I agree, I think it would work better to show a human, an actual veteran. Again, they're stuck in this very small circle of characters they are hesitant to deviate from.

As far as characters' mortality, I personally don't agree that cartoon creations (or anything similar) need to be immortal. If a story is written well, it can be done. And make a story much deeper and magical in the process.

Drtooth

Reaction score
But I don't mind them showing soldiers either. This war may be unjust, but sometimes war is unfortunately necessary. If WWII hadn't been fought, the world would be a very different place (we would certainly not be able to sit pleasantly in our homes arguing these topics right now!). And there is still a terrorist threat in the world. Doing nothing in the face of it would be wrong. If we want to have values in our society (such as compassion and liberty for all) we have to also be willing to protect them when they are threatened. Otherwise, we don't deserve them.

Of course, we don't always have liberty and justice for all. No country is perfect; you won't find one that is. But America is still the better choice over so many other places (like say, Afghanistan, China and Iran). But it won't be unless it is defended from people out to make trouble.
Well, we are the best country (or at least one of them) in the entire world...which scares the crap out of me if you think about it :crazy: Just kiddin'.

War is a difficult thing. There are 2 kinds of wars in history- justifyable ones like the Revolutionary war and WW2, and then there are the frivillous ones that are the product of shifty world leaders, getting innocent people mixed up in their idiotic tiffs or bids for power- Like WW1 and the Crusades. There are times when it is necisarry, sadly. But then there are avoidable ones like pretty much a handfull of what we've seen since WW2.

And as for religion, well, there are unfortunately a bunch of nasty evil people that take people's faith and play upon it for political reasons. not just Christians...Muslims, Jews... any religion you can think of. Then of course there are cults, which are another thing all together. Religion can be a beautiful thing, but leave it to rich politicos and megalomaniacs to use it as a source of violence and greed. Come to think of it, Islam, Christianity, and Judiasm have the exact same roots. I can't even get over that whole Irish Catholic/Protestant thing, since it is the same major branch.

As far as characters' mortality, I personally don't agree that cartoon creations (or anything similar) need to be immortal. If a story is written well, it can be done. And make a story much deeper and magical in the process.

Certain cartoon characters, i should have said. Like Mickey Mouse, or Bugs Bunny. Characters that can't die shouldn't be brought into a very heavy world like that. There are great examples of cartoons that need to deal with death, usually more serious action or drama ones. I wouldn't like to see a cartoon where Donald comes back with a prostethic arm.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Well, we are the best country (or at least one of them) in the entire world...which scares the crap out of me if you think about it :crazy: Just kiddin'.
No, lol, it is scary to me too, considering our increasing lack of morality and responsibility (and decent entertainment).

And as for religion, well, there are unfortunately a bunch of nasty evil people that take people's faith and play upon it for political reasons. not just Christians...Muslims, Jews... any religion you can think of.
Yes just about every religion has been hijacked and distorted by powerful people (and some not so powerful ones who are just as troublesome heh). Thankfully, there is occasionally some light as well. Religion is responsible for a great number of charitable organizations in our country, if not the majority. Religion has also been responsible for standing up for oppressed groups when no one else would. There is good and bad in everything, but I don't think we're doing ourselves a favor in America by distancing ourselves from faith to such a strong degree. (There is of course a difference between faith and religion).

Certain cartoon characters, i should have said. Like Mickey Mouse, or Bugs Bunny. Characters that can't die shouldn't be brought into a very heavy world like that. There are great examples of cartoons that need to deal with death, usually more serious action or drama ones. I wouldn't like to see a cartoon where Donald comes back with a prostethic arm.
Lol, true it does depend on the situation. :stick_out_tongue:

beaker

Reaction score
Don't you folks get it?

The SAME politicians who tried to KILL Sesame Street and PBS are the ones
who staged evidence and lied to get the US into not one, but two unlawful invasions.

The US has no business in Afghanistan or Iraq. And thats terrific the Rand corporation and Sesame Street tried to make a localized Afghani Sesame Street.
The US government by the early 80's was quite literally creating the very monsters it would fight 2 decades later(Osama, al Qaeda, Saddam, etc)

The problem I see with this situation is that people don't want to look at the big elephant in the room.

The difference between police/firemen/etc and US soldiers is that geo political corporate interests wrapped up outright lies don't get thousands of law enforcement or firemen killed

Let's be honest here...

Jim Henson, Nelson, etc were hippies. Having Harry Bellefonte explain peace, having "stop hey, whats that sound?" on the Muppet show...the JHC was not a pro war outfit.

I hope people have seen the powerful documentary "The World According to Sesame Street"; it really shows the ugly horrors that affect young kids.

Just remember, the ONLY reason Elmo or Rositta or whoever is having to explain why their parents are injured is because the US government created a real life conspiracy that resulted in the needless death and injury in countless people on all sides.

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
If the country was recuperating from the Revolutionary War or the Civil War, would it be okay if Rosita and Elmo were involved in a puppet show for children, helping them cope with injuries their parents may have sustained in fighting for America's freedom?
(And by the way, lots of Americans didn't think either war was justified either. Of course, we call them Tories and racists.)

I think it's a great thing that Sesame Workshop is trying to do. At least they're willing to address the issue and help the children cope with it. The cause of the war that American soliders have died in and been injured in is irrelevant. The fact is that Sesame Street really can't do anything about that. But at least Sesame Street can do something to address the reality that many American (and international too, of course) children have to live with every day.
And regarding Jim Henson's ideology, here's a quote he once said.
"At some point in my life I decided, rightly or wrongly, that there are many situations in this life that I can't do much about: acts of terrorism, feelings of nationalistic prejudice, cold war, etc. So what I should do is concentrate on the situations that my energy can affect."

(as recounted in the "It's Not Easy Being Green and Other things to Consider" book, copyright 2005, The Jim Henson Company, Inc.)

I think Jim would definitely approve of using Sesame Street and The Muppets in general to console children and help them cope with life's difficulties. You can't affect everything in the world- but at least you can concentrate on what you can affect.

Teheheman

Reaction score
Ya know, if I would've known that this was gonna end up as one big political discussion, I wouldn't have posted it. I thought that this was a good thing because kids would like to know what their parents do. But that's just me, I'm gonna just keep my dang mouth shut and hang my head and wonder why the heck I even posted this.

Daniel

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Sorry if it made you uncomfortable, I'm sure that was no one's intention. I personally thought it was an interesting dicussion. And the situation is complicated, it's not black and white. :smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I want to point out, I find it hillariously hypocritical they didn't allow Snuffy's parents to get a devorce, because using a pupper character would have been too heavy, but then having one in combat coming home in a wheel chair is okay...:eek:

Boober_Gorg

Reaction score
I want to point out, I find it hillariously hypocritical they didn't allow Snuffy's parents to get a devorce, because using a pupper character would have been too heavy, but then having one in combat coming home in a wheel chair is okay...:eek:
In case you haven't read the Wiki article, the "divorce" episode was shot, but they didn't air it because of the reactions from the children in the test audience.