Sesame Street censorship

Hays

Reaction score
Yup, that's the one - don't have Noggin, so I can't rely on it! So they haven't edited those out? That's great! As a former puppeteer, I know the pressures to keep everything PC - but I think we don't give kids enough credit. I think they do have a limited understanding of cartoon violence.

I wish Unpaved was on broadcast. There's so much junk out there for kids, even on PBS!

Boober_Gorg

Reaction score
WOW! Thanks for that link! :big_grin: I forgot all about those! Anyone know who did those?

Censored

Reaction score
In the song "Everyone Loves Ice Cream" the mean boy with the green pointy head calls his brother a "sissy". This line is dubbed out on Noggin.

sarah_yzma

Reaction score
well I guess if they get over a certain amount of complaints they edit away! I can understand how silly it can get. When I volunteer at the library, I turn on the TV before arts and crafts (I know to stay away from cartoon network) but half the time, every show I turn it to someone says "mommy said I can't watch this" so we usually watch the weather channel

fun

Secret Squirrel

Reaction score
I think it's important to clarify that Sesame Workshop adapting old material to changing standards is not "censorship". The Workshop has free range to create material within its own curriculum, and the curriculum is constantly changing to meet the needs of viewers.

Don Music might perhaps be a helpful example -- the character was voluntarily phased out by producers after their own research showed them that children imitated his head-banging. This cannot in any way be construed as censorship. For censorship to occur, an arbiter outside of Sesame Workshop would need to be proscribing certain kinds of content, and that does not happen.

Television is essentially self-governing: There are certain requirements for kids' shows, but it's up to producers to meet those requirements. Writers and producers have a great deal of freedom, and if an issue of contention arises, it is discussed and decided internally.

I hope that helps clarify the issues.

secret squirrel

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Secret Squirrel said:
Don Music might perhaps be a helpful example -- the character was voluntarily phased out by producers after their own research showed them that children imitated his head-banging.
They should have done it sooner, then; that's what happened to all my hair!!! :confused: :boo: :sleep:

Hays

Reaction score
"Television is essentially self-governing: There are certain requirements for kids' shows, but it's up to producers to meet those requirements. Writers and producers have a great deal of freedom, and if an issue of contention arises, it is discussed and decided internally."

OK, that being said, isn't it true that a parent's group lobbied to have Snuffleupagus come out in the open? As a child who had many, many invisible friends I never liked that idea.

I do get concerned when SS listens to small lobby groups when they should be listening to ME instead! :big_grin:

somethingofafan

Reaction score
One thing I'm kind of surprised they haven't taken out is the following quote from the "getting dressed" segment of "Elmo's World"

"Coming up next...Socks and the City."

Drtooth

Reaction score
GeeBee said:
In the song "Everyone Loves Ice Cream" the mean boy with the green pointy head calls his brother a "sissy". This line is dubbed out on Noggin.
SISSY?!?!?!

HOW COULD THEY GET AWAY WITH SUCH A SICK, DEPRAVED, PERVERTED PROFANITY AS "SISSY?'

Net thing you'll know they'll call each other "sour pusses," "dummy," and worst of all "Silly!!!"

I for one do not want to find MY child learning such language from television....especially since they hear MUCH worse from their friends...

Come on!

Have you listend to little kids? They talk like drunken sailors....

Someone calling their brother a "sissy" is the least of their problems...

Censorship.... the dumbway street!

Boober_Gorg

Reaction score
GeeBee said:
I didn't notice that. But now that we've brought up censorship on Noggin, I shall describe a MAJOR Noggin chop job I just saw. In 2226, there's a street scene from which Noggin removed several parts, which I've noted here in red.

PART 1: The Play Yard. The scene begins with a close-up of the cake, zooming out to reveal a party going on. Hoots and the cats are playing some dance music while the guests are dancing. Maria tells Hoots to stop the music so that she can announce the festivities, and so that everyone can clear some space in the yard for the festivities to begin.
PART 2: Big Bird consoles Snuffy beside Oscar's can.
PART 3: Some kids perform some tricks until Barkley interrupts the show.

PART 4: Big Bird consoles Snuffy some more, and tells Maria they're not ready yet.
PART 5: Susan and the Extremes perform their song.
PART 6: Big Bird looks for Snuffy, who seems to be missing.
PART 7: Oscar announces that Slimey is going to perform a stunt: he dives into a can of mud (next to Oscar's temporary can). We don't hear Slimey land. Oscar keeps saying he's still falling. When Maria looks into the mud can to see if Slimey's okay, she gets an unpleasant surprise. :big_grin: