Sesame Street Celebrates Around the Word

BEAR

Reaction score
I just saw this special for the first time tonight after much curiosity and I must say it is one of the best Sesame Street specials ever made. It was absolutely wonderful and I strongly urge everyone to check it out whenever you get a chance.

Basic synopsis:
All the grownups are going to a New Years Eve party so Gina and Savion throw a special party for the kids on Sesame Street. Telly is scared after Oscar tell him that when the new year comes, everything that he loved and remembered from the past year would be gone forever. Telly tries to stop the New Year from coming. With the help of Gina, he realizes the truth. Meanwhile, Elmo shows us how kids from other parts of the world celebrate New Years, with the help of Sesame Street's international cousins.

There are wonderful songs including a beautiful finale featuring everyone on Sesame Street. Plus all the greats are featured including Telly, Big Bird, Snuffy, Elmo, Oscar, Cookie Monster, The Count, Wolfgang, Baby Bear, Grover, Zoe, Prairie Dawn, Rosita, Hoots the Owl, Bert and Ernie, plus some other surprises.

The human cast includes Gina and Savion (the main players), Maria, Luis, Gordon, Susan, Bob, Linda, Ruthie, Celina, Carlo, Angela and Jamal. Plus a special appearance by Lily Tomlin.

You won't be disappointed by making this purchase or rental.

Barry Lee

Reaction score
BEAR said:
I just saw this special for the first time tonight after much curiosity and I must say it is one of the best Sesame Street specials ever made. It was absolutely wonderful and I strongly urge everyone to check it out whenever you get a chance.

Basic synopsis:
All the grownups are going to a New Years Eve party so Gina and Savion throw a special party for the kids on Sesame Street. Telly is scared after Oscar tell him that when the new year comes, everything that he loved and remembered from the past year would be gone forever. Telly tries to stop the New Year from coming. With the help of Gina, he realizes the truth. Meanwhile, Elmo shows us how kids from other parts of the world celebrate New Years, with the help of Sesame Street's international cousins.

There are wonderful songs including a beautiful finale featuring everyone on Sesame Street. Plus all the greats are featured including Telly, Big Bird, Snuffy, Elmo, Oscar, Cookie Monster, The Count, Wolfgang, Baby Bear, Grover, Zoe, Prairie Dawn, Rosita, Hoots the Owl, Bert and Ernie, plus some other surprises.

The human cast includes Gina and Savion (the main players), Maria, Luis, Gordon, Susan, Bob, Linda, Ruthie, Celina, Carlo, Angela and Jamal. Plus a special appearance by Lily Tomlin.

You won't be disappointed by making this purchase or rental.
It's allright but some of the other sesame specials are better :stick_out_tongue: :smile:

BooberFraggless

Reaction score
It was interesting to see The other Sesame Street charachters from the other co-productions from around the world. But I don't really like this special because it was during a time when Sesame Street was really changing and starting to loose the "edge" that it once had. This was during a time when there was a whole new part of the set added, the original set itself was now all full of bright colors, instead of the old faded look it once had. Telly still bothered Oscar but was much closer with Baby Bear starting that year. I think I would have liked the special a lot more if it were made a year or 2 earlier. To me it is just a reminder of when Sesame Street first started going downhill.

BEAR

Reaction score
Gosh. I'm sorry, I didn't realize you all would hate it so much. I guess I am alone. I thought it was a well put together show and wonderfully heart warming. The scene between Gina and Telly is one of the most touching I have ever seen in a Sesame Street project, especially between a human and Muppet. It was written in classic Sesame fashion. It was said in the thread about chemistry that Telly and Gina really seemed to work well together. It showed here. I teared up.

I thought it was great to see Savion. What an amazing dancer he is. I also got to see some of Baby Bear and Zoe's first stuff which I never really got to at the time. It's amazing how those characters have changed since then both physically and characteristically. I never knew Zoe when she had the weird speech impediment.

My only real complaint is that I was surprised that Grover didn't have a more significant part.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I liked this special. It's not my favorite, but it's still good.

zanimum

Reaction score
I wish I saw it, but it never aired on Canadian television. I didn't have cable at the time, so I missed it!

BEAR

Reaction score
zanimum said:
I wish I saw it, but it never aired on Canadian television. I didn't have cable at the time, so I missed it!
Just go to your local store where videos are sold or rented and pick it up.:smile:

Pino

Reaction score
Ive got that movie too.. But I was a bit down noticing that it was all arround the world exept for the dutch characters.. I thoufgt.... we celebrate New Years eve too!
And that would be a great intro for the americans to see our Pino (Big Bird)

BEAR

Reaction score
Pino said:
Ive got that movie too.. But I was a bit down noticing that it was all arround the world exept for the dutch characters.. I thoufgt.... we celebrate New Years eve too!
And that would be a great intro for the americans to see our Pino (Big Bird)
Sorry about that. I guess there are so many international cousin shows that they found it hard to include them all.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
When I first heard about this special, I heard about it in an article that mentioned that Kermit was going to be in the special, so I was disapointed that he wasn't. He could have done the news reports from around the world.

I do know that Steve Whitmire performed in this special, since it was the first time he performed Ernie. I wonder how much availability he had. I have a feeling that he might have performed Ernie in all of his scenes, even when he didn't talk, though there weren't too many scenes with him. Then again, he might have just been there for the closing song, or maybe he just recorded Ernie's voice (since Ernie's one line was a singing line).