Sesame Street Canceled Figures Interview

ResidentLilly

Reaction score
Not really sure where this belongs. It is mainly a Palisades Figure line related subject, but not sure if it belongs here, or in the SS section. So since I see that there are a lot of posts in this areas about SS, I figured I would take a shot here.

I was interviewed this month in issue #3 of Little Plastic Men, an online magazine about acton figures. You can find the interview, on page 18, here.

http://www.littleplasticmen.com/e-mag/v1n3/#18

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
That's exciting, I'll have to click and read it as soon as I get a chance. Thanks for posting this Ken. :smile:

JJandJanice

Reaction score
Still til this day seeing those Sesame Street figures breaks my heart. Especially Oscar, man, I really REALLY wanted that Oscar,:grouchy:. I still have zero have no doubt they would of been absolutely amazing. Oh what might have been.

Still that was a great read, thanks for directing us to it Ken. :smile:

floydnjanicefan

Reaction score
That's awesome. I love reading about the old set. The Palisades Muppets are still the pride of my Muppet collection, and I'm so glad I got to be on board starting from series 1 onward.

I do have a question -- was there ever a production picture released of the grittier 123 Sesame building that matched the texturing of Big Bird's doors? I remember seeing it once, but I have never found it again and I used to save everything Palisades posted. I often long to see it once more, but now I wonder if I made it up.

Anyway, I hope you're doing well, Ken! I was definitely a much quieter member on the Palisades boards, but I've always really respected you and appreciated everything you did for us Muppet fans and your family.

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
I enjoy the interview, still wondering about accessories for series 2.

MK Muppet

Reaction score
Thanks Ken for the link. Very insightful and I can understand where you are coming from. Not getting the wonderful Oscar was tough, but am very happy with what we did get.

ResidentLilly

Reaction score
I'm not sure what you mean by a grittier version picture. Or about Big Bird's doors. I thought we had actually eliminated the doors because of spacing issues, though I cannot recall for sure. The 123 building though, fully painted, was shown, just not very well. Partly because it was painted REALLY badly for Toy Fair. Rush job. It never got into Eddie's hands before he died.

You know, with all the Kickstarter stuff floating around, it has got me to wondering if any line like this could ever be funded via a Kickstarter. It would be tricky. You would have to do one figure at a time, and you would have to meet with a licensor and almost work out a deal that was unprecedented, because Kickstarter activates when the MONEY is available. But I would have to think a licensor would not grant a license unless there was money in hand. SO...how do you get past that hurdle?

A lot of kinks to work out, but I wonder if it would even be theoretically possible? And if anyone says 'Anything is possible!' I will beat them with Lew Zealand's fish. :smile:

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
What if someone were to say, "so as long as we keep buying/paying for them, you'll keep making them?" :stick_out_tongue:

A full-sized figure line would be great... But I think more characters could get made if a PVC small-scale line were pursued. That's just my opinion though. :batty:

ResidentLilly

Reaction score
Yeah maybe, but one of the selling features to some of of us old fogies would be that the scale be consistent with the Palisades Muppet figures. To sort of 'complete that collection'. Or not. This was just me thinking out loud. Nothing has to be any way. That's the fun of actually thinking out loud. That and it helps me hear the music in my head better.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Hmm... On the one hand, I would like the full-sized in-scale SST figures to go along with my Muppet figure collection. But on the other hand, I think that an in-scale PVC figurine line could be just as, if not more effective because you could get away with a greater wealth of characters. Keep the in-scale size of the Mini-Muppets, but I'd say increase it by, well, I'm not sure to say a half or a whole inch. The thing is, when I place the Mini-Muppet figure of :hungry: behind the kitchen island in the playset, his hands are just level with the edge of the island's counter. It'd look better if he were however necessarily incrementally taller so as to be seen with his hands above the counter's edge instead. Again, just my own observations.