Sesame Street at Night

muppet maniac

Reaction score
I was browsing through some articles from 1975-79 on the Google News Archives, and there was one article that mentions this TV special, from 1976. Anyone here remember seeing it or what it was about?

gbrobeck

Reaction score
From a newspaper TV listing of the time:

"Sesame Street at Night?"
Gene Shalit hosts an adult look at Sesame Street, which features excerpts from appearances by nearly 100 stars who have been guest "teachers" on the pre-school show, plus songs, satires and sketches by some of the human and Muppet stars. (30 mins)

From what I gather from other articles, it seemed to be PBS' way of celebrating the fact that SST had made it to 1,000 episodes.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I've read about this special on the forum before. I think somebody once said that it includes the "Grover's Restaurant: Alphabet Soup" sketch.

I don't think Muppet Wiki has a page for this special yet.

Sesame Skates

Reaction score
I DO remember seeing this special when I was five. The only thing I remember about it is Gene Shalit talking to a Muppet replica of himself as the end credits were rolling! :wink:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I DO remember seeing this special when I was five. The only thing I remember about it is Gene Shalit talking to a Muppet replica of himself as the end credits were rolling! :wink:
I wonder if that might have been the same Muppet replica ftom Sex and Violence (hey, the Gene Shalit Muppet does look a little like the lavendar live-hand Anything Muppet). .

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Well, it looks like that special used a different Gene Shalit charicature puppet than the Muppet Show pilot.