Sesame Street as a Community Asset. Your Thoughts?

BooberKnowsBest

Reaction score
Ok here goes:

I have to write a research paper for my English class on community assets, so i figured "Hey! Why not write a paper on Sesame Street!" But I need some sources and I don't just want to be limited to Wikipedia and stuff like that. My teacher said it would be good if I could interview someone who knows about the topic. And since I dont think I'm going to run into a puppeteer or writer for the show on the street anytime soon, I thought "Why not use input from the fans!"

So heres the question: Would you guys be willing to share your thoughts on Sesame Street, how it has affected you personally, and the impact that it has had on your community?

I could use this thread as a source, and of course I would quote you guys, and if you'd like to read it, I'll even post my paper here when I've finished it. Anyway, thanks you guys! It'll be great to hear everyone's input on this! :smile:

theprawncracker

Reaction score
I would LOVE to provide input for you paper Jenn! I think it's a GREAT topic you've chosen and would work splendidly! Just let me know when you want me to start rambling about how SS has affected me, and I will. :big_grin:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
BooberKnowsBest said:
So heres the question: Would you guys be willing to share your thoughts on Sesame Street, how it has affected you personally, and the impact that it has had on your community?
Sure, just say the word because I'm an open book!

MrsPepper

Reaction score
Hey, a good source is The World According to Sesame Street documentary. Any store that has DVD's should have it and it talks about how SS has affected communities all around the globe!

For a more local thing, I'd say that it taught me values when I was young, things that i still think are important and that even adults could continue to use.

BooberKnowsBest

Reaction score
MrsPepper said:
Hey, a good source is The World According to Sesame Street documentary. Any store that has DVD's should have it and it talks about how SS has affected communities all around the globe!
I'll be sure to check that out! thanks!

theprawncracker

Reaction score
Gladly! As a young child one of my first influences was Sesame Street. And since I was born in October of 1990 I caught the show coming down from it's high point of the late eighties. I distinctly remember possessing thirty to fourty Sesame video tapes that I would run dry, singing and dancing along with the amazing characters. I remember loving Big Bird, Ernie and Bert, and Oscar, Cookie Monster, Grover, and even Elmo at times.

My first memories of the show in any form is the cassette of "Sesame Street: Platinum Hits". I would listen to it every time I was in the car at any point in the summer. My favorite songs were "Elmo's Song", "Fuzzy and Blue", and "Rubber Duckie". Sesame Street first taught me to love music.

Sesame Street also taught me how to first laugh. It was also where I learned what real comedy is.

Aside from teaching me about music and laughter, the show taught me to read. I learned my alphabet at two, and was reading books by three. The first book I ever read was "The Monster at the End of This Book" starring Grover. I would read it over, and over again, until it drove my mom up a wall.

Community wise, Sesame has influenced almost everyone I know. I can make a joke about Cookie Monster, or have a debate with a close friend about how much better Grover is than Elmo, and people will understand, because they know! I have a very firm belief that Sesame is responsible for most kids coming into kindergarten knowing their alphabet, numbers, and sometimes even how to read. I think that Sesame Street is the best thing that has ever happened to children's education, and will continue to educate for years to come.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
BooberKnowsBest said:
wow! awesome you guys! feel free to start rambling at anytime! :smile:
Okay.

Well thing I admire about Sesame Street is the fact that it's such an ethnically diverse community in itself because the entire street resides people of different races like whites, blacks, Hispanics, birds, grouches, monsters, Ernie and Bert, and so on. Not to mention the fact that everyone on the street is so friendly and accepting, not like most people are today who feel people outside of their "lifestyle" are either evil, or unworthy of being on the same planet. There's so much hate going on in this world today, Sesame Street is like the safe haven where a lot of people would love to live; I don't think there is such a community in this world that's like that, I mean sure there are still SOME communities left where it's like everyone knows everyone by name, but you rarely see very diverse communities anymore and the Sesame Street community is the kind of community I'd love to live in.