Sesame Street Anounces Layoffs

zns

Reaction score
I agree with you too. Keep up the optimistic everyone. And yes it is sad to see lots of people having to job hunt after being let off by big companies.
The government can't let this go on forever, and they shouldn't. There is no doubt that we will get out of this funk. Like President Obama stated, "We can do better".

Redsonga

Reaction score
Ooooh, I just heard about this today, I was so afraid for the main cast because the radio show I heard made it seem like that was who was getting laid off :frown:. Not that it isn't still sad...
I'm sure when this whole bad time is over those jobs will come back, just like everywhere else :smile:.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I'm sure when this whole bad time is over those jobs will come back, just like everywhere else :smile:.
Yeah things will settle down eventually. I just hope families don't have to go through too much trauma before then.

MuppetQuilter

Reaction score
CNN has a story about it that includes pics of the MC forum. You can see it here (I hope);

<http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/offbeat/2009/03/12/moos.sesame.street.layoffs.cnn>

Beyond that-- what Jamie said. Products are produced by other companies who license the rights-- approval of new products may be a bit slow but it won't stop as that is a huge moneymaker. We'll still see new episodes and Muppets won't disappear.

The Shoe Fairy

Reaction score
This isn't good. I haven't heard anything about it yet until today, but from where I stand the American economy is getting better, albeit slowly.

StreetScenes

Reaction score
Wow. Your post is on CNN. I watched the CNN video, parts of the parodies they showed were quite funny; but I at times like this people should be supporting the workshop through donations and other means, not mocking them.:frown:
amen to that. some of the parodies are funny, but the cnn report wasn't--it was making the story about the comedians, rather than about the organization, how it gets funded, and how the layoffs will affect its services. it's closer to youtube poop than to reporting if all you do is google sesame street and make a mash of what other people say about it. they could have at least talked to someone at sesame workshop, but oh, nevermind, that would be actual reporting of actual news.

the whole situation makes me sick--the layoffs, the idiotic press, and the way so many people only make fun insteadof realizing its a serious issue. i already donate money every month to sesame workshop, but as soon as i get my next paycheck i'm buying a bunch of stuff from their store. i hope others do the same.

Drtooth

Reaction score
We probably won't notice any changes. It seems they're just cutting internal staff and remaining employees will have to take on more responsibilities. I'm sure they will still produce full seasons of quality shows and churn out Elmo and Abby DVDs and products to make some money for SW. However, it could possibly hamper items like Old School DVD sets for a while (until the economy improves) as they are a lesser-selling specialty item. Beyond that, Big Bird, Oscar, Grover and Elmo are all safe on the street.
Clear and simple... you know what a huge portion of the problem is? SW is funded by a lot of companies, but mostly through merchandising profits they put back in their TV shows and projects. And Elmo Live, which was supposed to be the break out toy of the Christmas season was too rich for anyone's blood this year. This freaking monster recession keeps feasting delightfully off itself. No people buying, less people selling, less people with jobs, less people buying.

Ah, remember when people were lied to and told the economy was in great shape multiple times during the last administration? And then everyone bought the big fat stupid things they couldn't afford... blu rays, X-Boxes, and gigantic TV's so everything looks cool. And all maxed out on credit cards, too. had they kept buying the small unnecessary things (small toys, food at local restaurants, the same stuff you'd buy at Target or Wal*Mart at a local business to help support it?)

Now everyone's lost everything, and even the happiest street in the world has been affected. Yeah, things look good... :boo: