Sesame Song about Pockets

Splurge

Reaction score
truth66 said:
Question? Was anyone from the cast from Sesame Street used in the "Pockets" skit? Or were they just regular actors. I don't remember seeing anyone from the cast in any of the scenes, but I could be wrong. It has been 25 years since I saw the skit.
I believe they were just regular actors, not those who would play Bob, Maria, etc. What was mentioned earlier was that the singer was Marilyn Sokol, who often played a lot of prerecorded female voices in the early days.

truth66

Reaction score
"Pockets" Song/Skit

Splurge,

Do you remember any other scenes besides the ones already mentioned? Or perhaps maybe remember all or some of the lyrics to the song? I really would like to get this song/skit and so would Mister Fred. It was one of our favorite songs to sing with our moms when we were kids. Unfortunately, I don't remember most of the lyrics anymore. Like Mister Fred, all I remember is..."What do we do without pockets...pockets are perfectly fine...you need a pocket for combing your hair". That was from the scene with the boy combing his hair and then putting the comb in the back pocket of his bluejeans. I remember the lyrics would then start again in another scene with someone else doing something else with his or her pockets. I believe that sequence continued throughout the entire song. Happy childhood memories hang in the balance. Can you assist?

Mister Fred

Reaction score
"Pockets" song / skit

truth 66,
list all the scenes in order that you remember. Oh by the way, you said your mom wore clothes with lots of pockets. Did she keep her hands in her pockets alot?

truth66

Reaction score
"Pockets"

Mister Fred,

Sadly, I don't remember the actual sequence of the scenes. It is a huge jumbled mess in my brain. What you and the others shared actually helped jog my memory a bit. As far as my mom goes, she always put a lot of stuff in her pockets. I'm sure she still puts her hands in her pockets from time to time. No more or less than any other person. Usually when she walks or when she is standing talking to someone (some say that is rude, but when you don't know what to do with your hands...in the pockets they go). I'm the exact same way! When she would wear her overalls, she would carry most of her personal items in the pockets as opposed to her purse. That's why I like overalls because I can carry everything I need in my pockets. At work, I hate having to make a bunch of trips when I have to go get stuff. I'm a big believer in working efficiently! So having a lot of pockets helps me make one trip to get what I need. On weekends when I kick back, I will usually wear NIKE clothes. The jogging pants are the only items I own that have pockets. The rest doesn't have any pockets. They are just very comfortable...so I wear them. When I wear my overalls to work, I'll have the following items in my pockets:
Right front pocket: Car keys and my pocket knife
Right back pocket: Wallet
Left front pocket: loose change (I don't like loose change in my wallet), screws, and a tape measure clipped to the pocket
Left back pocket: screwdrivers (standard and phillips head. I use both daily.) and a small crowbar (to pry open crates)
Bib pocket: scissors, a couple of pens and a black magic marker
Utility pockets on the right leg: an adjustable wrench
And of course a hammer in the hammer loop.
What about you and your wife? What do you put in your pockets?

Mister Fred

Reaction score
truth 66, I put my wallet & keys in my front pockets of my blue jeans & a hankerchief in my back pocket. I keep a pen in my shirt pocket when I'm working. I read you use tools in your work. What is your occupation of work? I only ask cause I'm a Matco tools distributor & I sell tools. I do keep one interesting thing in my pocket, a garage door opener so when I'm out riding on my Harley Davidson Sportster, I can open the garage easly upon coming in the drive way.

Mister Fred

Reaction score
"POCKETS!"

truth66,
I have a customer who has a tape with the pockets song on it. She remembers this song well. I will let you know as soon as she is positive that she has it. I LOVE IT WHEN A PLAN COMES TOGETHER!

truth66

Reaction score
"Pockets" Song/Skit...Hope Never Fails!

Mister Fred,

I work for a small to medium size Commercial/Military Aircraft Parts Distributor. We broker out practically any aircraft part you can imagine. I am the warehouse manager and oversee our entire inventory (which is about several hundred thousand parts in-house. Not to mention parts that are overseas as well.) The company has been in business since 1991. I joined the company back in February 2001. Yes, I do use some tools on a daily basis simply because a lot of aircraft parts come in rather large crates. So, the hammer and crowbar help me break open the crates. The screwdrivers I use to seal the crates back up when I ship the part out. I have a power drill I use sometimes, but I doesn't fit in any of my pockets. That's why I didn't mention it before. The tape measure I use to figure dimensional weight for shipment. The adjustable wrench I use to tweak parts the may have loose nuts and bolts on them. See, the most important part of my job is to quality inspect the parts and make sure they are in proper condition to sell again to go back in service on an airplane. It is a very intricate process and I need to be patient and detail oriented. Days can be long sometimes, but I love what I do...for now.
That is awesome that a customer of yours remembers the "Pockets" song/skit. It is even more awesome that she has it on tape...SCORE! Look what happens when you keep hope alive and perservere! Let me know when you find out if she positvely has it because I definitely want it!!!

Mister Fred

Reaction score
"Pockets" song / skit

truth66,
Have you asked anyone if they have remembered the pockets song & what they remember about it. I have asked some & some remember it and some have not. My step mother mentioned she remembers the song ( my dad remarried). I'll ask her what she remembers about the lyrics & scenes.

truth66

Reaction score
"Pockets" Song/Skit

Mister Fred,

I have gone to several Sesame Street groups online and posted questions regarding the "Pockets" song/skit. Unfortunately, nobody has responded to my posted questions. A have a very strong suspicion that we are part an extremely small group of people that actually remembers this song/skit. It kind of feels like the X-files you know..."The truth is out there". And right now no one is talking, but someday someone will speak up and all the blanks will be filled in. The receptionist at my work is a tad bit older than me and she loved the "old days" on Sesame Street. She did most of her growing up during the 70's. I will ask her if she remembers the "Pockets" song/skit tomorrow. She sings the theme song and few other tunes out loud from time to time, so maybe she can help us out with this one.

truth66

Reaction score
Kid song about pockets

Mister Fred,

I came across this link and it has a 2 minute sample of a children's song simply called "Pockets". I know it's not the "Pockets" song from Sesame Street, but check it out anyway! It is a fun song for kids (young and young-at-heart) to song along with.
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/andyz