Sesame Song about Pockets

Mister Fred

Reaction score
Does any one remember this song / skit that was on sesame street in the late 1970's early 1980's. It's a song about pockets.
all I remember is a woman sings it and it starts off " what do we do without pockets..... pockets are perfectly fine...... you need a pocket for combing your hair" I don't remember how the rest of the song goes but I remember bits like "there are pockets that are magic". I remember someone with a tan jacket on opening a pocket on the jacket and a boy combing his hair, then putting the comb in his pants pocket. Plus a woman with a white sweater putting her hands in the pockets on the sweater. My mom would sing along anytime this song/skit was on whenever she watched sesame street with me. Does anyone remember this or have an episode of sesame street with this on there? It was on in the late 1970's, early 1980's. Let me know cause I would like to get it

jeffkjoe

Reaction score
Yes, I remember this!

Believe it or not, I've seen it on Sesame Street Unpaved, from their 1974 episode where Count climbs up the Sesame Street lightpost and counts the lights in the neighborhood turning on and off.

The reason why I'm pretty sure about the date of this piece is cause when I saw the "pockets" song, there was a bit where a man pours tomato juice into his shirt pocket (?!) and then squishes it for no apparent reason....I remember thinking that his shirt looked very 1970s-ish and sure enough, the Sesame Street episode was 1974 (or 1975).

That's how early some of these songs are. Surprised?

truth66

Reaction score
The "Pockets" Song

Yeah! I vaguely remember this skit/song too. It is probably because of this song that I love to wear overalls! I never put two and two together until now. Do you know where I can get a copy of the song or the episode containing the skit/song? Preferably on DVD.

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If my memory is correct, Marilyn Sokol (Ma Otter) is singing vocals.

truth66

Reaction score
"Pockets" Skit

Does anyone out there remeber any more about the "Pockets" song/skit? I seem to recall a guy or girl wearing bib overalls with all the pockets full of tools or something. And there are a multitude of pockets on overalls. Pretty appropriate for a song about pockets. Did I imagine this or what?

Mister Fred

Reaction score
Yes I do know more. I don't remember a man pouring tomato juice in his shirt pocket and squishing it or someone wearing overalls with tools in the pockets. All I remember is a girl with a tan jacket opening a pocket with a button on the chest, a boy with bluejeans combing his hair then putting the comb in his back pocket, a girl again with a tan jacket this time opening a pocket with a zipper and pulling the pocket inside out, a guy pulling a hankerchief out of his shirt pocket, and a woman with a white sweater putting her hands in the pockets. I don't know how the whole song goes but I sure want to. All I know is it starts out "What do we do without pockets....pockets are perfectlyfine. You need a pocket for combing your hair." The only other bits I remember are "There are pockets that are magic."

truth66

Reaction score
"Pockets" Song/Skit

Mister Fred,

Hey, thanks for the update! For years I thought I saw this skit on "The Electric Company". I don't think I caught the original airing in 1974/75 because I was only 1 or 2 at the time. I saw a rerun around 1978/79 when I was around 5 or 6 years old. So, I guess my memory wasn't all that developed yet. If you find out where to get the "Pockets" song/skit please let me know I would love to hear that song again and relive some happy childhood memories.

Mister Fred

Reaction score
"POCKETS" song/skit

When first saw the pockets song, I thought it was on captain kangaroo. But I was confused cause the next time I watched sesame street, it was on. When I was little, I had a few pairs of overalls and once when I had a pair on, my mom put a stick of gum in the bib pocket and sang "what do we do without pockets". I don't remember someone wearing overalls with the pockets full of tools & things, but I remember someone broke a step on a stepladder when they stepped on it. This may have been the scene with the girl (or guy) wearing overalls. The scene after the ladder step breaking was a woman wearing a white sweater with pockets and her hands at her sides ready to put in the pockets. After the lady singing sings "what do we do without pockets", the woman puts her hands in the pockets. Then the lady singing sings "pockets are perfectly fine." What other lyrics and scenes do you know from this song & skit? I can list everything in order that I remembered from this song/skit.

truth66

Reaction score
"Pockets" Song/Skit

Mister Fred,

If memory serves me right, the person trying to climb the stepladder was wearing overalls and possibly a toolbelt with all the pockets full of tools. I think the reason the step broke was because of the weight of the tools in all of the pockets...and that's a lot of pockets! I thought it was hysterical! Never in my life had I seen someone with so much stuff in their pockets! You knew right from the start when you saw the guy (or girl) that they were doomed to break the stepladder. To this day overalls are my favorite thing to wear. Whenever I wear them I'll start humming the "Pockets" song to myself...at least what I can remember about the song...frustrating! This song made more of an impression on me than any other song I've heard on sesame street. And I heard the "Pockets" song only once!!! Weird, huh? I would love to get this song and add it to my music library. What other memories do you recall regarding this song?

Mister Fred

Reaction score
Pockets song/skit

What words to the song do you remember? Do you remember any of the other scenes I mentioned like the woman wearing the white sweater putting her hands in the pockets or the person with the tan jacket at the beginning opening a pocket with a button? I want to get a copy of this song/ skit as well.