Sesame Characters Surviving Past Performers

beaker

Reaction score
With The Simpsons retiring Mrs Krabauple with the passing of the actress who performs her, it warms my heart to know that with the Muppets the show can still go on.

Now I had read about and can't wait to see what I hear is a beautiful tribute to Jerry Nelson.
And thankfully, it seems the Count is now MORE prevelent than ever even post Nelson's recent passing.
For those of us who got to chat or meet Nelson, it's a very good feeling to know his characters will continue on without missing a beat(Not sure I think Vogel, a master in all his other characters, really nails the voice, but the performance is aces)

This topic, of characters surviving past their performer's retiring/passing/firing/etc has been a discussion in the fan community for some time.

With Sesame Street...I think it's safe to say Sesame Workshop and SS in general survived
the Clash fallout unscathed. Just got the new Toys R Us catalog, and it prominently features various Elmo merch. All the new Sesame promotional teasers and episodes prominently feature the red monster.

I think this is healthy. As much as I was never a big fan of the Elmo phenomenon, I never would want to see a character retire because of a signature performer's personal life, passing, or retiring. For those worrying if Sesame Street would feel financial or social reprocussions, I think it's safe to say it didn't happen.

MANY people thought Kermit should have been retired after Henson's passing, but I think we can all be grateful Whitmire took up the torch. Yet it can also be jarring getting used to a new performer if his version doesnt meet our expectations. I think Eric's Piggy, Grover and other characters are 100% pitch perfect to Oz, and we now have the closest Scooter as we ever have. But ultimately I think it's positive if a character continues even with a completely different sounding voice.

cjd874

Reaction score
The thing is, the people at SW are always training new puppeteers. That's how Steve Whitmire, Eric Jacobson, Matt Vogel, and Ryan Dillon have been able to take over the characters that Jim, Frank, Jerry, and Kevin originated. The original puppeteers can't stay around forever, not even Caroll Spinney. Matt Vogel was the understudy for Big Bird, and I'm sure they will find someone to play Oscar once the time comes. As long as there are young puppeteers who are being trained and can come pretty darn close to capturing the voice, but most importantly the essence, of the main characters, then SW should have no worries.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
I have to agree with that completely. I wish they had thought of that at the time of Richard's Hunt's death, then we might see more of Forgetful Jones, Sonny Friendly, etc. For whatever happens (death, retirement, resignation, etc.), it's always sad to lose a performer. But as they say, the show must go on.

beaker

Reaction score
Yeah I think that maybe in the past the thinking was more retire/background non vocal a character if a performer had left the company or passed away, but I am glad there's contingency plans. I was however a little jarred how different The Count sounds now...BUT it almost seems like the Count is more prominent than ever.

And I know Elmo continues to be a central financial aspect for SW, so Im glad Clash leaving won't effect that.

I myself DO wish older characters would return, like Forgetful Jones. He was a BIG part of my growing up! Tho Im more than happy Rosevelt Franklin is coming back in some capacity!!!

Drtooth

Reaction score
You know.. I almost don't get this retiring Forgetful Jones because of Richard Hunt jazz, as Hunt hardly originated the character. Sure, he wouldn't have been as memorable without him

On the other hand, I'm loving that Guy Smiley as come back with a vengeance this season.

beaker

Reaction score
You know.. I almost don't get this retiring Forgetful Jones because of Richard Hunt jazz, as Hunt hardly originated the character. Sure, he wouldn't have been as memorable without him

On the other hand, I'm loving that Guy Smiley as come back with a vengeance this season.
Guy Smiley is back??? With a lot of sketches??? I only am able to catch SS from its youtube channel as I dont have tv, but that's amazing news.

cjd874

Reaction score
Guy Smiley is back??? With a lot of sketches??? I only am able to catch SS from its youtube channel as I dont have tv, but that's amazing news.
Yes, he's been in two new sketches this year: "Make It Fit" is a game show about shapes, while "The Waiting Game" is nothing more than a test of Cookie Monster's patience and self-control. These are great new skits, similar to the legendary Beat the Time shows back in the 1970s. They're both up on Youtube, and most likely on Sesame Workshop's website. Or check out the Season 44 thread here on the forum.