"Sesame Beginnings" coming to DVD in April

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
Sesame Workshop breaks new ground by introducing an innovative research-based DVD series for parents and young children that encourages learning through parent-child interactions. Based on research that shows that young children learn best when experiences are shared with a loved one, these DVDs -- Sesame Beginnings -- are specially designed to help parents and caregivers encourage their child’s curiosity and interest in learning during everyday interactions.

Sesame Beginnings offers age-appropriate content while entertaining, engaging and encouraging interaction between caregivers and their children. Featuring baby versions of the Sesame Street Muppets and their caregivers, these characters provide fun, engaging examples of these kinds of moments, while the various songs, activities and stories provide parents and caregivers with fresh material for interactions they can enjoy with their child throughout the day. The DVDs are also supplemented by a printed guide, offering parents additional tips for ways to extend the learning after viewing through activities such as feeding, bath time and playtime.

Sesame Workshop felt a responsibility to better serve the families of children under two by creating programming that is specially designed to be developmentally appropriate for this younger age group, as well as, model interaction between caregiver and child.

Sesame Beginnings content was developed in collaboration with an advisory board of child development and media experts and ZERO TO THREE, a national nonprofit organization comprised of pediatricians, child development experts and researchers dedicated to promoting the healthy development of infants and toddlers. ZERO TO THREE is the primary source for development of the parenting content in the program, as well as, accompanying print materials written specifically for parents and caregivers.

Dr. Rosemarie Truglio, Sesame Workshop’s Vice President of Education and Research, commented: “Research indicates that children learn best when experiences are shared with a loved one. In the style of Sesame Street, Sesame Beginnings was created with this dual audience in mind; while there’s age-appropriate content for the young child, the playful Muppet caregivers model fun songs and activities to be adapted by the adult viewers to create their own special moments with their children.”

“Our own research showed that Sesame Street videos were among those frequently viewed by the under two set, in spite of the fact that the content and curriculum of Sesame Street is designed for ages 2-5,” noted Sherrie Westin, Executive Vice President, Sesame Workshop. “With the Sesame Beginnings DVDs, we’re providing parents and caregivers of children under two with content specifically designed to use media as a tool to further adult/child interaction.”

“Quality early learning experiences are grounded in strong parent-child interactions,” said Claire Lerner, L.C.S.W., ZERO TO THREE’s Director of Parent Education. “Sesame Beginnings DVDs offer parents a developmentally appropriate, interactive viewing experience.”

The DVDs, “Beginning Together” and “Make Music Together” created by Sesame Workshop and distributed by Sony Wonder will be in stores March 21, 2006. They will join the wide-ranging product line, Sesame Beginnings, which Sesame Workshop introduced last year, that currently includes apparel, books, products for health, body and home as well as seasonal products. As with all Sesame Workshop licensed products, proceeds from the sales of these videos help fund the Workshop’s educational projects for children around the world.

More information:

http://www.sesameworkshop.org/sesamebeginnings/mini/index.php

http://www.sesameworkshop.org/aboutus/inside_press.php?contentId=15314058

http://muppetnewsflash.blogspot.com/2005/11/more-on-sesame-beginnings.html

http://muppetnewsflash.blogspot.com/2005/11/sesame-street-for-babies.html

Erine81981

Reaction score
Would guys that are old enough to know that theses are set for 2 year olds still be able to watch with out being ridaculed? I can't keep from laughing because I keep thinking what some of the people would say about this. Why are they now coming out with puppet versions of Sesame Street puppets? Or what is this another Muppet Babies rip off? I love it and can't wait. I hope to see Ernie, Bert and Grover soon to in these SSB versions.

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
Erine81981 said:
I hope to see Ernie, Bert and Grover soon to in these SSB versions.
I hope other Sesame Street characters show up on "Sesame Beginnings" too: like baby Oscar, baby Bert, baby Ernie, baby Grover, baby Snuffy, baby Telly, baby Zoe, and baby Baby Bear.

Erine81981

Reaction score
GelflingWaldo said:
I hope other Sesame Street characters show up on "Sesame Beginnings" too: like baby Oscar, baby Bert, baby Ernie, baby Grover, baby Snuffy, baby Telly, baby Zoe, and baby Baby Bear.
Same here. So then will you be buying these for you or for others?

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
Erine81981 said:
So then will you be buying these for you or for others?
I've never been ashamed to be a grown-up watching Sesame Street, Bear in the Big Blue House, Fraggle Rock or the other "kiddie" shows. I'm planning on buying one on the DVDs (Beginning Together), just so I can say I saw it; to see if I like it, to review it, to see how it is, what it's like, and just to watch it. If I really like the series I may pick up the other DVDs to enjoy. But if it's too baby-ish for me (as it is aimed at children 1-4 and their parents), then I'll just pass it along to one of my much young cousins and/or neices/nephews (and their parents). I've seen other "baby programs" (such as Baby Einstine) with the "little ones" and enjoyed them and found them delightful, but couldn't see myself spending a Saturday afternoon alone watching one "just for fun" (like I do with Sesame, Fraggles. Muppets, etc.) Maybe I can use my family as an excuse to buy/watch more. I know if I were a parent of a infant I would be very excited about these, but as an currently childless adult I'm not sure if they will have the stories, comedy, plot, and wit that "Sesame Street" has. "Sesame" has depth that adults can enjoy too. With Sesame Street I find it fun and easy to get in touch with my inner child; but my "inner infant" might be harder. I'll give it a shot with at least one (and I'll be sure to let you all know how it went come March). But if you are a parent (or caregiver) of a 0-5 year old, I would defiantly pick at least one up.

Erine81981

Reaction score
GelflingWaldo said:
I've never been ashamed to be a grown-up watching Sesame Street, Bear in the Big Blue House, Fraggle Rock or the other "kiddie" shows. I'm planning on buying one on the DVDs (Beginning Together), just so I can say I saw it; to see if I like it, to review it, to see how it is, what it's like, and just to watch it. If I really like the series I may pick up the other DVDs to enjoy. But if it's too baby-ish for me (as it is aimed at children 1-4 and their parents), then I'll just pass it along to one of my much young cousins and/or neices/nephews (and their parents). I've seen other "baby programs" (such as Baby Einstine) with the "little ones" and enjoyed them and found them delightful, but couldn't see myself spending a Saturday afternoon alone watching one "just for fun" (like I do with Sesame, Fraggles. Muppets, etc.) Maybe I can use my family as an excuse to buy/watch more. I know if I were a parent of a infant I would be very excited about these, but as an currently childless adult I'm not sure if they will have the stories, comedy, plot, and wit that "Sesame Street" has. "Sesame" has depth that adults can enjoy too. With Sesame Street I find it fun and easy to get in touch with my inner child; but my "inner infant" might be harder. I'll give it a shot with at least one (and I'll be sure to let you all know how it went come March). But if you are a parent (or caregiver) of a 0-5 year old, I would defiantly pick at least one up.
I probley buy one as well and see how they are. I did say I would get both for my youngest neice. So I might like them enough to buy them but if not I proubley won't. Same here GW I've never been ashamed as well to show my love for all the kiddy shows. I enjoyed Bob, Dora and Blue's Clue but not enough to buy them for me. I normally get these for my neices. Hope to see some of the other SS characters as babies too. They are cute. Have you watched the little preview about the DVD's yet? I have and they look cute.

BEAR

Reaction score
I'm not so sure about this series, guys. I will look more into it, but it seems to me as if this is meant more for new parents with babies. I watched that trailer on the SW site and none of the familiar (now baby) characters such as Big Bird, Cookie, Elmo and Prairie spoke. Only the caregivers do. Is this possibly a way of giving new parents tips in raising a baby? I just didn't see anything familiar in the personalities in our well-known little pals. I don't see this as being very successful but I will give it a chance. Who knows? The baby Muppets look adorable though I must say, especially little Prairie. She is so cute and the most interestingly different in her baby form. Elmo's new dad looks like Telly. Why can't they use Elmo's dad from Sesame Street?

a_Mickey_Muppet

Reaction score
BEAR said:
I'm not so sure about this series, guys. I will look more into it, but it seems to me as if this is meant more for new parents with babies. I watched that trailer on the SW site and none of the familiar (now baby) characters such as Big Bird, Cookie, Elmo and Prairie spoke. Only the caregivers do. Is this possibly a way of giving new parents tips in raising a baby? I just didn't see anything familiar in the personalities in our well-known little pals. I don't see this as being very successful but I will give it a chance. Who knows? The baby Muppets look adorable though I must say, especially little Prairie. She is so cute and the most interestingly different in her baby form. Elmo's new dad looks like Telly. Why can't they use Elmo's dad from Sesame Street?
Yeah I may also buy a DVD, Baby Big Birds Aunt looks ALOT like the Mother Chair Bird on "Follow That Bird" dont she!? hehe :halo: I think I like Baby Big Bird and Cookie the BEST, Baby Elmos nose bugs me a lil and Baby Prairie Dawn looks.....:embarrassed: ok?! But after all its for new babys and there moms and dads tho too! :wink: and after all, it is kinda cute.

MuppetDude

Reaction score
Just watched the clip, and here's another upside to the series: Bill Barretta's playing Elmo's father (his first regular SS character)! Also, for BB's aunt, they used the old Madam Chairbird puppet from "Follow That Bird".

Beauregard

Reaction score
I saw the Trailer, and all I can say is, if it's all that patronising...it will never have the potential of Muppet babies...

*shiver* *twitch*

And that's just from seeing the trailer...

Hehe.

Too much cuteness for me.