Sequels You Like More Than The First?

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
Hi guys! Are there any sequels you enjoy more than the first here are mine!
Gremlins 2 The New Batch:Get your rants over with about how there are far less surprises,but Gremlins 2 is much funnier in my opinion. It's full of totally crazy situations with the female gremlin, the movie being interrupted, Hulk Hogan's cameo, and even more hilarious ideas, but people make it seem like it's far weaker.....and I don't know why.
Toy Story 2/3:Eh...everyone says about this so I'll make this considerably short. Toy Story showed what toys can do. Another sequel might have showed them practice what they can do and improve on it. Sure they do that, but they also show what else the toys can do.
Shrek 2:Oh my gosh. This one is truly amazing. I really liked Shrek 1, but right after Shrek 2 came out I LOVED IT! The new characters especially Puss, the Queen, and Fairy Godmother are very entertaining. The idea of making Far Far Away look like Hollywood? GENIUS! Taking characters that are good guys in Cinderella and making them evil? AWESOME! No matter what you thought of the first Shrek, see this one! Doug Walker's review pretty much somes it up!
Addams Family Values:The first movie was hilarious, but this one is even more so! A very funny villain..and Wendsday going to camp! Plus lines like this
Morticia:*reading Cat in the Hat*Are you enjoying this? To a think a child of mine...*flips through pages*Oh no....he lives.....

Twisted Tails

Reaction score
Toy Story 2/3:Eh...everyone says about this so I'll make this considerably short. Toy Story showed what toys can do. Another sequel might have showed them practice what they can do and improve on it. Sure they do that, but they also show what else the toys can do.
Oh my goodness! Toy Story 2 was the second Pixar film I saw right after "A Bug's Life" in theaters. Right after the movie, my mom and I kind of bought the Jessie talking cowgirl doll to complete my Toy Story collection (which had Woody, buzz, and I think a Mr. Potato Head LOL!). As I got older, my parents donated those toys. One day, they were gone.
I used to have a Toy Story 3 DVD, but it;s lost.
Overall, I like Toy Story 2 the most, but I like Toy Story 3 also, because I felt like having painful memories all over again.
If I find Toy Story 3 DVD... well I was planning to buy a Toy Story 2 DVD as well and plus buy a Jessie cowgirl talking doll if I can next year.

Shrek 2:Oh my gosh. This one is truly amazing. I really liked Shrek 1, but right after Shrek 2 came out I LOVED IT! The new characters especially Puss, the Queen, and Fairy Godmother are very entertaining. The idea of making Far Far Away look like Hollywood? GENIUS! Taking characters that are good guys in Cinderella and making them evil? AWESOME! No matter what you thought of the first Shrek, see this one! Doug Walker's review pretty much somes it up!
Oh YES! I have Shrek 2 on DVD. There was great casting, good plot, and new characters... what the hey! Sometimes, it's confusing to know who's evil and whose not. I don't care what others say. I LOVE IT! LOVE IT!

Addams Family Values:The first movie was hilarious, but this one is even more so! A very funny villain..and Wendsday going to camp! Plus lines like this
Morticia:*reading Cat in the Hat*Are you enjoying this? To a think a child of mine...*flips through pages*Oh no....he lives.....
AWWWW RATS! I have never ever seen this one. Oh well, I have to find this movie online.

Drtooth

Reaction score
There is no greater example of a shockingly improved sequel than Smurfs 2.

Let me elaborate. First movie- cacophonous and almost shallow attempt to sell the characters to a younger generation as a Chipmunks like movie with flat versions of characters that didn't have all that depth in the first place. Second movie- emotional Smurfette character study not even the cartoon or comic book touched.

Seriously... I wasn't expecting it to be that good!

And, while it doesn't technically count, I'm LOVING the Turbo F.A.S.T. cartoon series more than I liked the movie. The concept actually works better as an animated series, and it has some of the BEST Flash animation on... well, I can't say television, since it's a Netflix show... but out of all the flash animated shows I've seen, it's definitely one of the best looking. Heh. That's to be expected from the same animation studio behind Motorcity.

mr3urious

Reaction score
The Toy Story sequels not only upped the visual scope of the first, but took the concept of inanimate objects coming to life much deeper as well.

I also like the more tongue-in-cheek tone of Expendables 2. It fits the big dumb action movie throwback feeling better.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
THE SANTA CLAUSE 2 is so much better than the original... but THE SANTA CLAUSE 3, you almost get a sense that they really didn't want to make that one but they somehow had to anyway, it's kind of tired, Martin Short pretty much carries the movie on his own, just about the entire supporting cast takes a backseat, and even Bernard is gone.

SHREK 2 is my personal favorite in that series, even though I pretty much like all four movies, 2 is just the one I watch moreso than the others, it has the most of everything (humor, heart, serious moments, characters, story telling, etc.)

As far as the Ernest movies go, ERNEST GOES TO JAIL is probably my favorite, but then again, the general consensus is that it's the best of the movies, and I kind of agree. ERNEST RIDES AGAIN and SLAM DUNK ERNEST was enjoyable as well.

That's about it...

beatnikchick300

Reaction score
I agree that Shrek 2 was better than the first one. Also:
  • Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian was better than the first (NATM 1 wasn't...bad, but it was kind of bland. The sequel was very silly and over-the-top, but that's why it was more fun!).
  • Rescuers Down Under. The first one was pretty bland, but the sequel was a part of my childhood. I remember lazy summer days, sitting in my grandparents' third floor apartment with my older brother, watching this movie. On a side note, I wonder if seeing it as a kid is part of why I am an animal rights person (and why I hate poachers).

KremlingWhatnot

Reaction score
-Rescuers Down Under: The first one was kind of bland, but I LOVE THE SEQUEL, and it has remained one of my childhood favorites.
-Gremlins 2: The New Batch: Big reason I like this one better than the first, it was WAY MORE WACKY and OVER THE TOP FUNNY.
-Toy Story 3: Yeah, there's a big reason I prefer this one over Toy Story 2, it's because of how deep it could be, and well, how great of a movie it could be, it remains as one of my favorite movies.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
There's a few movies out there that do have sequels that I like just as equally as the originals, THE RESCUERS DOWN UNDER is one of them. Also, STUART LITTLE 2 (never saw that third one, but the animation looked scary), both TOY STORY 2 and 3, likewise, HOME ALONE 2: LOST IN NEW YORK and HOME ALONE 3 (though the fourth and fifth Home Alone's were disgraces to the originals and John Hughes). Even both of the direct-to-video sequels to THE BRAVE LITTLE TOASTER.

Then, there's movies where I hate the sequels and like to pretend they don't exist... ICE AGE didn't need three (and now possibly another) sequels, and as pointed out in a separate thread, I can do without all of those Buddies movies... I didn't even like any of the original sequels to AIR BUD. There was no reason for a prequel/sequel to THE WIZARD OF OZ, especially like some 80 years later, and likewise, I'm so hoping that this Roger Rabbit sequel doesn't see the light of day, it's so going to tarnish the original.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I will say Superman II had a much stronger villain in General Zod. Gene Hackman (Lex Luthor) did admit he was never entirely comfortable playing the franchise's baddie.

Home Alone II is sort of your classic retread sequel, but I still enjoy it a lot. They managed to up the ante without jumping the shark.

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
There's a few movies out there that do have sequels that I like just as equally as the originals, THE RESCUERS DOWN UNDER is one of them. Also, STUART LITTLE 2 (never saw that third one, but the animation looked scary), both TOY STORY 2 and 3, likewise, HOME ALONE 2: LOST IN NEW YORK and HOME ALONE 3 (though the fourth and fifth Home Alone's were disgraces to the originals and John Hughes). Even both of the direct-to-video sequels to THE BRAVE LITTLE TOASTER.

Then, there's movies where I hate the sequels and like to pretend they don't exist... ICE AGE didn't need three (and now possibly another) sequels, and as pointed out in a separate thread, I can do without all of those Buddies movies... I didn't even like any of the original sequels to AIR BUD. There was no reason for a prequel/sequel to THE WIZARD OF OZ, especially like some 80 years later, and likewise, I'm so hoping that this Roger Rabbit sequel doesn't see the light of day, it's so going to tarnish the original.
Actually if you haven't seen it yet, Oz the Great and Powerful was actually a good movie!