Self control would've helped.

Dr. Bombay

Reaction score
So when the Muppet figures arrived at the Toys R Us about a month ago I really didn't have that much money. I was only planning on purchasing Dr. Teeth but once I saw the others I couldn't resist not to mention that the TRU employee told me they were selling pretty quick. So I thought "What the hay? I'll just write a check and hopefully they'll cash it when I get paid."

Unfortunately I didn't get paid enough and TRU took FOREVER to run my check. When they did I was po! So it bounced like so many rubber chickens costing $15.00 service fee by my credit union. Then a couple days later they ran it through AGAIN thereby accruing another fee. Finally I got a letter from TRU saying that I needed to pay them with money order and they charged a $20.00 fee.

So essentially I spent about $100 for series one.

Moral of the story: No matter how bad you want these figures think before you whip out the checkbook. Learn from my mistake.

Even after all that I'm still glad I got them but I'm going to restrain myself from buying the Muppet Labs playset and the next line of figures until I actually have cash.

(BTW, this is the first time I have ever bounced a check. Not fun).

Dr. Bombay

Reaction score
I'd hate to think of the mess I'd get into with a credit card. I'm a very impulsive buyer. Ebay alone would kill me:stick_out_tongue:

uncleduke

Reaction score
Originally posted by Dr. Bombay
...Finally I got a letter from TRU saying that I needed to pay them with money order and they charged a $20.00 fee.

So essentially I spent about $100 for series one.
Sed them a money order for the face value of the check only.
Send it registered, and somewhere on the money order write "Payment for check #****"

If they cah the money order, they will have no further recourse.
If they do not cash it, and contact you again tell them you need in writing that you sent the a money order for the face value of the check, and they refused your payment.

This will give you all you need in the unlikely event the pursue this matter.

Rufus

Reaction score
Also talk with your bank and explain the situation, they may be willing to waive one of the fees, especially if you're in good standing with them (you said you've never bounced a check before, so that's good.)

I had a similiar situation happen (with a credit card payment of all things... what a tangled web we weave...) They tried to cash the check twice before I even knew it bounced once, so I was looking at 2 $30 fees from the bank and a $30 fee from the credit card (do the math.. yikes!) SO I contacted my bank and told them I wasn't aware the check had bounced the first time, and if I had, I would have done something about it before it had a chance to bounce again. They were very understanding and since I'd never bounced a check or anything before were willing to waive both fees. A pleasant surprise, I went in hoping to just get one of them waived.

- R -

Louis Kazagger

Reaction score
Self control is boring. What are they gonna do, take your toys away when you declare bankruptcy? :wink:

Shooter Johnson

Reaction score
Since '91, I have not been able to control myself when it comes to toy collecting. It is an addiction. An obsession. I have a storage unit packed with boxes upon boxes of action figures. The Muppets are my new "drug". I would suggest an organization like AA, maybe CA (Collector's Anonymous), but who wants to quit? The joy I get from finding a new figure is such a high and these Muppets really kick it in for me (to the constant fret of my fiance).

There are times when I have had to scrape for money, but when given the choice of a finely crafted chunk of colorful plastic or a microwavable burrito and a Slurpee, I choose those artful representations of any character I so dearly love.

If any of you can resist the urge, more power to you.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I have quit writing checks forever, my friend. First off all, I, such as yourself, am facing a monitary crisis on infinant Earths (sorry! I don't even read many comic books, except Scrooge McDuck, lord I envy him). Secondly, I can never actually pay for one, because I don't have an ID other than my student ID. Since I go to an art store, I faced this problem too many times. They helped me once, but never again. I had to walk five blocks to an ATM to get supplies I didn't even use much (once, and that's that!)

In fact the only toy I've ever bought with a check was a Mojo Jojo bean bag for five dollars (I wanted it sooo bad, that I actually spent ten minutes convincing the guy I was me. I almost had to give him a blood sample).