Segel pushing for an Oscar

Cindy

Staff member
Reaction score
Jason cracks me up. Maybe we should all be creating social buzz for Oscar nods for The Muppets this year. What about Cinematography? Sound Mixing? Foreign Language (for The Chef)?

The new film “The Muppets​” has been popular with audiences and critics, and now it’s generating some Oscar talk!
According to the film’s star Jason Segel, the song “Man or a Muppet” should snag the “Best Original Song” award at the ceremony. He revealed: “I think think that ‘Man or Muppet’ should be nominated for an Academy Award. You can put that in print.”

The song, which is featured in the new “Muppets” movie, was penned by the uber talented “Flight of the Conchords​” star Bret McKenzie while the video features a cameo by Jim Parsons from “Big Bang Theory.”
When you look back on some of the Oscar winning songs from the past, it’s not unlikely that the “Man or a Muppet” could be honored. Let’s not forget that Eminem’s “Lose Yourself” (from the movie “8 Mile”) and the “Hustle and Flow” track “It’s Hard Out Here for a Pimp” were both honored by the Academy.
But for now, there’s just one question: Are you a Muppet of a man or a very manly Muppet?
Read article here.

KermieBaby47

Reaction score
Hmm, as much as I do like that song, I LOVE Life's A Happy Song. I could see that winning best original song fer sure.

Teheheman

Reaction score
I think that any of the songs from the Muppets could be nominated for an Oscar. I don't see why they wouldn't be, it's not like they're nominating em for Best acting or Best Picture. Although, it WOULD be cool to see them nominated for Best Picture, just to see them walk the Red Carpet.

Daniel

Speed Tracer

Reaction score
Enchanted received three nominations for Best Song; I see no reason why we can't honor "Life's a Happy Song", "Pictures in My Head", AND "Man or Muppet" with nominations. C'mon, voters!

Frogster

Reaction score
Link Hogthrob should be nominated just for keeping his nose, like Barbara Streisand lol

theprawncracker

Reaction score
Enchanted received three nominations for Best Song; I see no reason why we can't honor "Life's a Happy Song", "Pictures in My Head", AND "Man or Muppet" with nominations. C'mon, voters!
So did Beauty and the Beast. The Little Mermaid, The Lion King, Aladdin, and The Princess and the Frog each got two nominations for original songs. To say that The Muppets will garner two or more would not be an outrageous statement by any means. If anything, it would be predicting what will most likely happen.

Speed Tracer

Reaction score
So did Beauty and the Beast. The Little Mermaid, The Lion King, Aladdin, and The Princess and the Frog each got two nominations for original songs. To say that The Muppets will garner two or more would not be an outrageous statement by any means. If anything, it would be predicting what will most likely happen.
That's my guess and hope. I don't see the Oscars as any sort of official stamp of approval on what is the best and what isn't - they work best as pageantry. But I would just really love to see these songs get some well-earned love.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I would LOVE for the movie to win an Oscar!! Just what the Muppets need.

Speaking of that, I hope Diz will license a Muppet from Sesame for a quick cameo in the next movie just for old-times' sake. :smile: