Segal Might Love The Classic Muppets...

beaker

Reaction score
I was thinking about all the articles exhaustively showing Segal is a dyed in the wool hardcore Muppet fanboy like many of us. It's almost startling to see it, something we're not used to. As he single handedly insisted he make a flagship Muppet epic...something Disney didn't have to do, and in this shaky financial climate it certainly is a gamble.

But...seeing the teasers, reading advance word on the script, articles, interviews, pictures...is Segal completely stuck in a 1979 timewarp? The absense of Pepe, Rizzo, etc is a bit...alarming. Pepe, Carl, Bobo, etc have become main characters in recent years, especially with the advent of the online content. To suddenly just have say, Pepe out, seems bizarre since JHC and Disney built him into one of the top main 5 or 7 core characters

Also, it seems like the core characters are all wearing what they did in the 70's...I think this is going to make people think the Muppets are simply a nostalgic relic being dragged out for one last fan service hurrah. But there's such a rich Muppet history from the late 80's all the way to Letters to Santa and Bohemian Rhapsody that is being glossed over. Why can't classic and modern stand side by side in people's minds? It just always bigged me, even in the late 90's when I came on MC, this notion the public and some fans have that the Muppets are more or less a 70's/early 80's thing.
1955-2011 and hopefully for as long as life exists on this planet, I personally see the Muppets as an ever changing and evolving brand whose central narrative is imagination, zany humor, friendship and song.

I'm not going to bring out the Trek fan world of classic/midclassic vs modern, or the Star Wars prequel vs original arguments...but I think post JH Muppets and classic Muppets should co-exist and not be in separate vacuums.

Also, anyone sick of all the focus on Animal merchandise? 2002-2005 was so great, as we finally got all sorts of Beaker, Bunsen, Chef, EM, and other non 5 merchandise...only to now see things revert back to the 90's era focus of Kermit/Piggy/Fozzie/Gonzo/Animal.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Also, anyone sick of all the focus on Animal merchandise? 2002-2005 was so great, as we finally got all sorts of Beaker, Bunsen, Chef, EM, and other non 5 merchandise...only to now see things revert back to the 90's era focus of Kermit/Piggy/Fozzie/Gonzo/Animal.
I think the Vynalmations beg to differ, as well as a couple pieces for the Theme parks ( 2 Link Hogthrob toys? Amazing!) But other than that, there basically is nothing BUT Animal T-shirts. Luckily I didn't wear my Beaker one from 5 years back completely out and I still have it (My Electric Mayhem one on the other hand is a rag and I can't wear it anymore). But it's not even a focus of Kermit, Piggy, Animal and Fozzie and Gonzo... it's just those first 3. I saw like ONE Gonzo shirt where he was alone, but I find hundreds of Animal... some with a group shot, but even Animal over Kermit. I LOVE animal, but where the heck are the Chef shirts? The Pigs in Space? Bunsen and Beaker? I thought those guys transcended cult to mainstream.

As for the other characters, I'm sure the newer guys have at least a small cameo. The Muppet Studio heads and several other people who work with the Muppets now could have twisted Jason's arm... we won't know for certain until we see the film.

MrsPepper

Reaction score
I better get me a dose of Pepe or I won't be a happy camper. I also think that the 2nd generation of puppeteers deserves a chance to shine outside of performing second-hand characters. I want Bill Baretta to be in this, is what I'm saying.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I was just wondering if whatever Pepe's pressence in the movie will be treated like one of the Sesame Street cameos in the first three films, perhaps even questioning his absence. I think somebody here wondered if Bill Barretta asked to have Pepe in the film... And I wonder if it works that way. If a Muppet performer would ask if they could perform a certain character again, and the character just returns. I've read that it was discovered that Bruno the Trashman detereorated after Caroll Spinney asked why he wasn't used anymore.

beaker

Reaction score
Yeah a lot of people don't realize how just darn nasty and deteriorated a lot of those older puppets get after awhile, especially without proper storage and just wear and tear. The main characters they've long replicated a lot of them(so some could get soaked, muddy, etc) I love how shiny and new Thog looks, for example. And it's insane seeing so many almost long forgotten obscure TMS era characters all new and appearing in the film.
So it's a toss up...had it been another writer/director, Pepe would have been more featured and other newer characters like Bobo, but we probably wouldn't have Scooter and Rowlf back in the spotlight or so many forgotten ones(Like Krazager)

I just don't feel things necessarily have to be completely "classic", down to dress detail and such. I personally think the EM are long due for a new wardrobe, and Gonzo should be wearing what he did in the muppets.com clips

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I just don't feel things necessarily have to be completely "classic", down to dress detail and such. I personally think the EM are long due for a new wardrobe, and Gonzo should be wearing what he did in the muppets.com clips
Well, Gonzo is shown wearin g his 1980s sweater vest as opposed to his original purple tux, so I guess the filmakers aren't completely stuck in 1979.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
But...seeing the teasers, reading advance word on the script, articles, interviews, pictures...is Segal completely stuck in a 1979 timewarp?
Well it makes sense, 1979 is when their best movie came out. :wink:

Also, it seems like the core characters are all wearing what they did in the 70's...I think this is going to make people think the Muppets are simply a nostalgic relic being dragged out for one last fan service hurrah.
For me it's not important what they're wearing, but whether they're funny, period. And in my experience people like nostalgia; they don't see it as a bad or pathetic thing.

but I think post JH Muppets and classic Muppets should co-exist and not be in separate vacuums.
I think down the line, it is possible. But also easier said than done.

ZeppoAndFriends

Reaction score
As much as I like Pepe, Bobo and some of the other new characters, I won't judge their
absence one way or the other until I actually see the finished product.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
So it's a toss up...had it been another writer/director, Pepe would have been more featured and other newer characters like Bobo, but we probably wouldn't have Scooter and Rowlf back in the spotlight or so many forgotten ones(Like Krazager)
Unless perhaps one of us were actually able to write/direct a Muppet movie with no interferring from Disney.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
It appears that Uncle Deadly bumped Pepe from his role as evil henchman to Tex Richman, but I have a feeling the prawn will be in this. I hope he has a larger role than it seems. I don't know why, but I can see Pepe and Rizzo in some sort of running gag. They're a good team. :rolleyes::shifty: