Season 40 Hidden Gems

dwmckim

Reaction score
I knew the newspaper must have been in - but as others have stated, if you don't have an HD tv, you can't see it (too bad the production staff at SW weren't even thinking about the majority of its viewers who don't have the fanciest-shmanciest latest technology when they did some of these).

And yeah, while Roscoe Orman kept handling the paper in such a way that the viewer couldn't get a decent look at what they were supposed to see, i can't quite put all the fault with him because typically scenes like this are shot multiple times with the best elements of each edited together in the final aired cut so it's always possible that the best takes in terms of seeing the gem weren't the ones that ultimately got used...of course it's also possible that the fault did lie completely with the actor (the prop guys at Sesame have had lots of fun with magazines and newspapers and such for years, so this may not have seemed all that "different" to Roscoe to see something like that in his prop paper - though i'm sure at some point a director would have intervened and said "this is our special Sesame Gem for this episode that we're putting in all episodes this season so you want to make sure the camera can see it at some point" which lends me more to the theory that it just didn't come together the way everyone had hoped in post-production.)

But yeah, at any rate, the Luis/Teeny Superguy gem is my firm favorite so far just in terms of it being so creative, hilarious and also gave Emilio a chance to do one of his fabulous whacked-out expressions to the camera that he's always done so brilliantly well!

Drtooth

Reaction score
Okay... I KNEW that the photocopied personal ads on the bulletin board outside of Hoopers would be something.

There was a flyer that said "Jon's Pencil Company" (or something like that) and it had a picture of Jon Stone in the letter O.

And, not sure if these count but, Lulu made a cameo (Even saying "Hey! I remember you guys!") and the dragon from the Song about Elmo skit looks like it was a rebuilt version of the dragon from "Imagine That."

dwmckim

Reaction score
The entire sign really should be noted as it was such an awesome tribute to the kind of humor Jon strove for ---

The top read "Jon's Pencil Emporium" - not only did the O in Jon have Jon's photo in it, but he also had a pencil in his beard which he tended to do IRL! The sign went on to read "Semi Annual Sale Special 30% off for all writers supplies .Electric Erasers .Color Pencils .Writer's Blocks .Sharpeners"

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Wow, guys, now I'm even dreaming about hidden gems. :crazy: (It was some tune Murray played on a trumpet and Don Music playing piano in the background of a scene. :wink:)
Maybe you should tell the people at SW about your dreams and maybe they'll use that one for real some time. :smile:

dietrich

Reaction score
I can't wait to see Biff and Sully and Roosevelt Franklin will be in the Paul Rudd episode. I'm hoping that other hidden gems compose of our favorite characters like Don Music, Simon Soundman, Sherlock Hemlock and Guy Smiley.

meok

Reaction score
I'm surprised no one mentioned this. Lulu actually appeared twice so far, but not the same puppet. The indigo version appears in the episode where Elmo is trying to create a rainbow for Rosita, but the older blue version was singing in a song with telly and two other monster. All the monsters were wearing name tags but Lulu was wearing FOUR name tags so you couldn't miss her name.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Actually I mentioned Lulu a few posts ago...

Anyway, today's episode featured Buster the Wonder Horse, Wanda Cousteau (performed by a different puppeteer with a slightly different voice) and Martian P Robinson getting his shoes shined. He was holding a paper, but I couldn't make out what it said (if it had anything else to do with a gem or not).

Erine81981

Reaction score
I had mentioned Marty P Robinson way back but i made such a big brain buster that i messed it up. Like i had said in the Sesame Street 40th Season or this one. I said i had bought the DVD which had three of the main street stories on it. Well i saw the one with Marty and when i said he was on last years show as a walk on i guess i meant to say he was on this seasons. But maybe i did see him as a walk on but i did write down that he was getting his shoes shined. But still cool to see him on there.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Bip Boppadotta was in the laundromat window watching the races... he even said "Mahnah Mahnah?"