Season 1 DVD vs. Best of DVDs

Zanshin

Reaction score
As I am sure you are all aware, a few of the episodes on the Season 1 DVD have had segments removed from them.

Do the Best of the Muppet Show DVDs (released some time ago by Time Life) have also have same segments (or any segments at all) removed from them?

Also, I would like to confirm that the best of DVDs did NOT cover every single episode of the Muppet Show (if they did, then they really wouldn't have been BEST OF, now would they).

Reaction score
Zanshin said:
Also, I would like to confirm that the best of DVDs did NOT cover every single episode of the Muppet Show (if they did, then they really wouldn't have been BEST OF, now would they).
No, they didn't. There were three episodes per DVD (or tape) and 15 were released? Or 10??

JJandJanice

Reaction score
There were 120 episodes of The Muppet Show. Yeah the Best of DVD's did only cower 45 episodes and plus everyone has their own say on what's a best Muppet Show. So for my money, The season DVDs all the way, cause maybe we'll have all five sometime.

Man I know I'm a little late on this tread, but hey, I'm a little bored at the moment and don't really feel like going to bed, :smile: .

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
It is interesting to point out that while the closing number of Vincent Price was cut from season one collection it never the less appears so I've heard on the copy released by Timelife.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Pro's and Con's

Let's list the pro's and con's of the "Best Of" sets and the first season set.

The Best of The Muppet Show:
-Pro's:
*with the exception of ending logos and first season openings, all of the episodes are presented uncut (even the Vincent Price episode)
-Con's:
*most of these were only available by mail.
*possible pro/ con: very few first season epsiodes were included, and none of the volumes with season 1 episodes were available in stores when Columbia released them (of course, that could be a pro for those who don't like having multiple copies of the same episodes).

Season 1:
-Pro's:
*includes all season 1 episodes.
*the original openings are included.
*includes better features (such as Muppet Morsels and The Muppet Show: Sex and Violence... the only features from the "best of" sets that I would have wanted to have seen are the Brian henson Into's and design sketches).
*The price is a better deal. For the "best of" sets, you'd basically be paying 19-25 dollars for only three episodes each and a handful of really small features (two of which are not informative and hardly have anything to do with The Muppet Show). If you buy this set, you'd be paying around 40 dollars for the whole first season, 24 episodes, and much better features.
-Con's:
*some songs and sketches are cut.
*it does not include Brian henson's intro's.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I like that the Season 1 DVD has extras like Sex and Violence, that's definitely a plus. And it's nice to have all the episodes together. On the other hand, I really don't like that certain scenes were cut.

I'm not that upset that Timelife doesn't put out Season 1 episodes, they're not the best representations of The Muppet Show, in my opinion (1st Season's rarely are). DVDs with full Seasons have that drawback, they include every single episode, even ones that may not be that good.

Usually you can't go wrong with a "Best of." It's like with music. People buy Greatest Hits to get right to the Hits, instead of listening to a whole album.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
heralde said:
I'm not that upset that Timelife doesn't put out Season 1 episodes, they're not the best representations of The Muppet Show, in my opinion (1st Season's rarely are). DVDs with full Seasons have that drawback, they include every single episode, even ones that may not be that good.
There are quite a few first season episodes not included that I think the fans (and not just hardcore fans) would agree would fit in on a "best of" set. Episodes suchg as the oens with Kaye Ballard, Paul Williams, Ruth Buzzi, Valerie Harper, Ethel Merman, Avery Schrieber, Candice Bergen, and Twiggy.

heralde said:
Usually you can't go wrong with a "Best of." It's like with music. People buy Greatest Hits to get right to the Hits, instead of listening to a whole album.
People might also want to go right to their favorites or to songs that they haven't heard before. Usually when I buy a DVD season set, I go straight to an episode that I haven't seen (if there are many episodes that I haven't seen, then I go to ones that I haven't seen and want to see the most). Also, a lot of the best known of anything are not always my favorties. It could be ebcause of their hit status (overplaying and such), or it could be because I always considered it to be boring or not that great, despite what others think.

Out of the episodes of TMS included in the "best of" that I don't care for much included the ones with Elton John, John Denver, Harry Belefonte, Beverly Sills, Senor Wenches, Mummenshaz, Rudolph Nureya, and Pearl Bailey.

crazed gonzo fa

Reaction score
Another con for the "best of's" is that they are starting to get rare and hard to find. Ceck out "Best of's" on amazon.com, people are selling them for outragous prices!:boo: :grouchy: :crazy:

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
minor muppetz said:
Out of the episodes of TMS included in the "best of" that I don't care for much included the ones with Elton John, John Denver, Harry Belefonte, Beverly Sills, Senor Wenches, Mummenshaz, Rudolph Nureya, and Pearl Bailey.
Of course if you don't care for a particular guest star you probably won't care for his /her episode much though I'm sure most hardcore muppet fans wouldn't ever throw out any episode completely (well some might do but not very many I think)