Searching for "Mt. Snuffle-upagus"

Convincing John

Reaction score
Hi, everybody! I have a question.

I'm saving up for a trip to Hawaii (which won't be happening for a loooong time), but anyway:

When I eventually go, I (like always) want to visit places where my favorite celebrities have once been. My number one destination to visit is the mountain that looks like Snuffy, y'know, from the Unpaved episodes where Sesame Street goes to Hawaii.

I KNOW the mountain isn't really called "Mt. Snuffle-upagus", but the mountain itself is real, (just like Snuffy:wink:) and I want to find that exact same spot where Big Bird and Snuffy were all those years ago.

I'll have LOTS of time to pinpoint this exact location...I just started saving, and right now (pecking numbers into my calculator) I have just enough to rent a canoe and row to Hawaii. :crazy: Considering I live in the Midwest, it's going to take me a while to row through all those cornfields! LOL! :stick_out_tongue::stick_out_tongue::stick_out_tongue:

Well, has anyone here ever been to Hawaii? Did Jerry Nelson ever mention the island when he posted on MC? (he played Snuffy then).

Not unlike those Star Wars fans who make pilgrimages to "Artoo's Arroyo" in California (where he got zapped by the Jawas), I want to find "Mt. Snuffle-upagus".

Any good ideas on where to look?

Convincing John

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
Sounds like a great vacation! I wish I could help you out, but I've never been to Hawaii and am a disaster with geography to boot. :stick_out_tongue:
Erin

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
That's a really good question. I wish I knew the answer. My wife and I went to Hawaii this summer for our honeymoon, and we were wondering the same thing. We didn't even know which of the islands it was on, so we're not sure if we were in the right place. The Big Island, though, has two really big mountains (Mauna Loa and Mauna Kea), so maybe one of them from the right angle...

:confused:

Anyway, when you do get to go, have a great time! :smile:

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I know a woman who lived on all 3 islands in Hawaii for several years. If I had a copy of the movie to show her I bet she'd know!

ssetta

Reaction score
I think the part of Hawaii that Sesame Street went to is a very unusal part that not many people visit. I watched Hilary Duff's Island Birthday Bash a month ago, and I did recognize one of the scenes. It was the scene where they were rowing down a river and singing some Hawaiian song in a cappella. I've always wondered exactly what part of Hawaii they went to myself. I'm also curious about Camp Echo Rock.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
there a website about Buffy at http://www.creative-native.com/ i emailed the site once some time ago asking if she still lives in Hawaii and the webmaster said yes.i don't know what they'll think about the question i myself have been curious about that and what the area is like today. the site also has some pictures of her when she was on SS.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
So, was there a real mountain shaped like that there which they wrote the script around, or did they just make it up as a matte painting? And to think, that would mean that Snuffy is originally Hawaiian!

Zondra

Reaction score
Argh, I can't remember that scene...I've been to Hawaii twice...I know all the islands pretty well...Umm...was the mountain forest-y or just rock-y? LOL...so eloquently stated, huh? If it was just bare rock, it might have been Diamond Head on Oahu...I don't know. Just trying to figure this out with ya.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I recall it being green, of which it ain't easy... :smile: (Get it? :embarrassed: )