Scenes in movies you always find tough to watch

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
There are very few scenes that are hard for me to watch, with one exception.
Mr. Hooper's death.
I was there when Sesame was brand-new. I grew up with Mr. Hooper. I was 14 when Will Lee actually died, 15 when they showed the Sesame special, Thanksgiving Day, 1983.

Seen it countless times since then, still can't get through without getting misty-eyed.
Back in 2014, when they screened "I Am Big Bird", and this scene was shown (along with clips from Jim's funeral) there was not a dry eye in the house.

Will Lee's death wasn't so hard to take. He was getting old, suffering from prostate cancer which is not a fun scene to deal with. But seeing Big Bird's reaction tears my heart up.

That day I was talking with Caroll Spinney after the event, and commented "That scene must have been so hard for you".
His reply, "Yes, but I'm so glad we did it that way".

And I got to hug him tight. Dear sweet man.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
There are very few scenes that are hard for me to watch, with one exception.
Mr. Hooper's death.
I was there when Sesame was brand-new. I grew up with Mr. Hooper. I was 14 when Will Lee actually died, 15 when they showed the Sesame special, Thanksgiving Day, 1983.

Seen it countless times since then, still can't get through without getting misty-eyed.
Back in 2014, when they screened "I Am Big Bird", and this scene was shown (along with clips from Jim's funeral) there was not a dry eye in the house.

Will Lee's death wasn't so hard to take. He was getting old, suffering from prostate cancer which is not a fun scene to deal with. But seeing Big Bird's reaction tears my heart up.

That day I was talking with Caroll Spinney after the event, and commented "That scene must have been so hard for you".
His reply, "Yes, but I'm so glad we did it that way".

And I got to hug him tight. Dear sweet man.
And to this day I'm always glad to know Sesame Workshop chose to be honest with Will Lee's passing. Kids should always learn about death one way or another at some point.

I honestly wonder if they would have done the same plot for David if Northern Calloway didn't lose his job. I know it was mentioned he moved with his grandma, but I wonder if that would have been used had he been on the show till his death or not.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
I didn't even know Northern Calloway died until almost ten years later. I accepted the storyline, moving to Grandma's farm (all throughout the 70's David was studying to be a lawyer. A New York lawyer turns farmer? Green Acres, anyone?)
But his character had been phasing out for a while. One poignant reminder, during Luis and Maria's wedding, David was seated waaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyy in back. And David and Maria throughout the 70's were boyfriend/girlfriend. The wedding was bittersweet, knowing David wouldn't be around much longer.

The tabloid sensationalism didn't help. David freaks out, runs around naked, smashes windows, blah blah blah, sad case. And during his last season, he looked horrible, gaining so much weight, forgetting lines, what a shame.
And since then, various cast members had said precious little about him.
It's too bad David didn't get a bigger sendoff, but at the time, CTW seemed to handle it the best they could.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Northern's later years were definitely tough to watch.

It's like the equivalent to me of seeing poor Curly suffering from his health problems that would eventually lead to his career-ending stroke in 1944-46 Three Stooges shorts.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I always thought they handled David/Northern the way they did to avoid any negative publicity getting out about him considering as far as the humans are concerned, he was really popular and well-liked among kids.

BlakeConor14

Reaction score
All of the above also finding dory with the seashells and her parents

Flaky Pudding

Reaction score
The disgusting scene from Monty Python's the Meaning of Life where a guy gets his liver brutally ripped out of his body (Due to it's realistic style, I've always found the scene to be more cringeworthy and sickening than funny personally)

Schfifty

Reaction score
I always found the scene near the end of Brave where Merida weeps in Elinor's arms before she turns back to human hard to watch. Just seeing her cuddled up to her mom showing affection and apologizing for what she's done is a tearjerker, especially since Elinor is still in bear form.

The aforementioned "When She Loved Me" and ending from Toy Story 2 and 3 are tough scenes, too.

MikaelaMuppet

Reaction score
I also find the beginning music from Sally's Song to be sad also.