Scary Scary Monsters

beaker

Reaction score
In 1998, I began to get excited about a new Muppety franchise that was about to launch, that I Felt could be the next fraggle rock. While it was to be animated, the books I had read and other stuff really brought back that FR feeling.

That of course was Scary Scary Monsters. Supposedly some plush toys and happy meal toys came out, though all I have seen is a very nifty large popup book and individual kids books. Does anybody know about a supposed test pilot animated thing was was made, why it never aired or took off, and if theres any pix or resources of scary scary monsters online?

It seemed like it would really bring back that magical 80's exploring feel...it even starred Splurge(that obscure Muppet from the pre TMS specials and Sesame Street)

trekkie1701E

Reaction score
Oh God, that brings me back. I totally forgot about that title until you mentioned it.

We do need another Henson series (and not something trying to be all "hip" and "cool," like Muppets Tonight or IAVMMCM; but rather, like you said, something with a kinda innocent '80's-esque feel to it). It's been too long.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I actually have one of the KFC promotional toys...

It's some character called Mongo (or Mungo... confusing his name with the guy from "Cattillac Cats" on Heathcliff) and he looks suspiciously like Oscar the Grouch.... it's like one of those Flip toys you have to squeeze the sides up and he'll flip over the rope he's holding.

I remember there was also a Splurge "Bow Biter" type tyhing that kids wear on their shoes...

beaker

Reaction score
Drtooth said:
I actually have one of the KFC promotional toys...

It's some character called Mongo (or Mungo... confusing his name with the guy from "Cattillac Cats" on Heathcliff) and he looks suspiciously like Oscar the Grouch.... it's like one of those Flip toys you have to squeeze the sides up and he'll flip over the rope he's holding.

I remember there was also a Splurge "Bow Biter" type tyhing that kids wear on their shoes...
Aw yes, I believe these were the Long John Silver food premiums. Someone must have pictures of these, the plushes, or the books...as well as more information on this project on here.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I used to have the little paper that came with the figure that has pics of all the toys (In illustraition form, not Photos). If I could find it, I'd post it here...