Save the Muppets

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
I think some of the muppeteers need to give some of the characters to other performers, whether those people have been working for Henson for a good number of years or that they're new.

For example, I think Bill Bareeta has to many characters. The only two characters he performs now a days is Pepe and Johnny. He can perform those two and also have the Swedish Chef and Bobo as secondary characters. However, I do think there needs to be a couple of puppeteers to do Dr. Teeth and Rowld indepently, therefor making Rowlf and Dr. Teeth interacting more with other muppets they couldn't before like Kermit or have all three talking to one another.

Maybe even some of those performers can perform one or two characters more that haven't been used in years like Link Hogthrob or lew Zealand instead of having Bill do Lew Zealand.

Also find some people to perfrom Scooter and Janice too, although Brian Henson who did both characters in the 2002 christmas movie seemed to work well with them although their voices were some what off.

Just a suggestion.

ryan

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Save the Muppets has been discussed here in great depth!
http://forum.muppetcentral.com/showthread.php?t=20926&highlight=save+muppets

Other topics of interest for discussion and consideration:
Save the Muppets
Post announcing it:
http://forum.muppetcentral.com/showpost.php?p=307345&postcount=143
Thread on the topic:
http://forum.muppetcentral.com/showthread.php?t=21620

2005 Muppet Auditions
http://forum.muppetcentral.com/showthread.php?t=21459

Jerry Nelson Recasts
http://forum.muppetcentral.com/showthread.php?t=15452

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I wanted to pop in real quick:

I don't mind the alternate performers for the small gigs like From the Balcony or some such, but I don't want to see the "core group" losing their jobs over all this, being the television shows and movies.

With the oncoming Fraggle movie, one is also left to wonder: Junior Gorg--who's gonna do that now? What about Philo (or Gunge) without Richard Hunt? I hope whoever did Scooter and Janice in MWoO will be back for that! Also, will Jerry be able to come back as Gobo, Trash Heap, and Pa Gorg? Here's hoping.

rumtar_10165

Reaction score
I just want to state for a fact,
When Walt Disney pased Mickey to several performers,
When Yogi Bear's original voice died he was voiced by others untill the found the right one.
Bugs Bunny, Well the same thing happened to him.
The the one voice and artist that changed after his death to keep the magic alive...Jim Henson.

When Steve took over I was thinking..Kermit The Rat???
But After a while Steve did a great job performing Kermit and Ernie.
Dave Goelz is a great Waldof, Bill is an ok for Rowlf but not for Dr. Teeth.
(the Vote is not in yet.)

But I think they will find more people who can perform and continue the magic of the muppets.

Labyrinth Fairy

Reaction score
honestly, I have never thought of that. I mean, the whole kermit being played by several people a serious thing in the muppet world. but, how that person said it in the article, I guess it is. :embarrassed:

Whatever

Reaction score
Save the Muppets- Statler and Waldorf

from www.toughpigs.com, copied absolutely without permission

Back in August, I wrote an article about Disney's plans to cast substitute Muppet performers to play the main Muppet characters. At the time, it seemed like the alternate performers would only be seen on cruise ships and mall appearances -- but Disney had bigger plans than that. In October, they replaced Dave Goelz and Steve Whitmire on the Movies.com Statler and Waldorf shows with new performers, and they released a special Halloween clip featuring the "new" Statler and Waldorf that was aired on ESPN and local ABC affiliates.

This is a terrible thing, and we need to tell Disney that we don't want to see fake Muppets. They seem to think that it doesn't matter to the audience whether the Muppet characters have consistent performers or not. If that continues, then soon the Muppets will just be a box of puppets that get passed around from one hand to another.

SavetheMuppets.com has more information on what's going on, and they've got a new petition that will show the folks at the Muppets Holding Company that we don't want to see fake Muppets. I know that the people making the decisions at MHC are watching, that they want to know whether this is going to turn into bad publicity or not. When you sign the petition, write a letter, or post a link on your blog, you're helping to create the bad press MHC is hoping to avoid. That can make a real difference. Please check out the Save the Muppets page, and add your voice.

OverUnderAround

Reaction score
I disagree with the title of this thread and the website being called 'Save the Muppets'.
It is misleading.

The Muppets themselves are in no danger of disappearing. Let's get that fact straight.

The website and this thread should have been called 'Save the Muppeteer' because that is what this thread is actually really about.

But while we are ALL fans, it breaks down to TWO issues;

1) LOYALTY TO MUPPET CHARACTER-
Should the best performer, even from the recent auditions be hired
who can do the BEST character impersonation & puppeteering job as
Jim originally intended the character to be like.

~OR~

2) LOYALTY TO A MUPPETEER-
Should a fan be blindly loyal to a Muppet performer who has been doing
a fair job filling in for the role he has taken over and support him
regardless, even if a newer performer might do it better.

So with this topic, where does your allegiance lie?

I am of the belief that the Muppets are all about being TRUE to the original character
and NOT about the individual.

Status
Not open for further replies.