Save the Fozzie Replica

Would you buy a full-size Fozzie Bear Photo Puppet Replica?

• Yes. money is no object

Votes: 123 45.2%
  • Yes. if he is $400-$600

Votes: 40 14.7%
  • Yes. if he is less than $400

Votes: 92 33.8%
  • No

Votes: 17 6.3%

• Total voters

muppetperson

Reaction score
Hi Muppetperson, can you tell me - how actively are MR pursueing the possibility of making Fozzie? Comments made by CSTom before in the past have virtually confirm that he is not going to be made. What changed their mind and how confident are you that we will see him?
MR have always wanted to make Fozzie.He was virtually cancelled when it looked like they couldnt find another factory and there was little interest.However, since the poll has showed that there is interest in Fozzie, and my help in comming up with other options, he is now back on again, pending a place that can make him.MR are actively pursuing this, but it must be taken into consideration that they are also balancing deadlines with other toy licences such as Star Trek and Ghostbusters.

Davina

Reaction score
I'm with others, I REALLY want him, and others to come.. but.. i do have other bugetary requirements that HAVE to come first and I have to be realistic about what I can spend, especially right now with the economy the way it is and my husband on deployment (which cut our income in half), and I just had to take in an 8 year old emergency foster placement that we certainly hadn't counted on having, which is going to prevent me from getting a job like we'd planned on my doing, which is going to make things even harder for us in a few months when I'm trying to come up with the money to fly step kids up for their summer visit, I was supposed to fly down to visit my grandmother in June, for her 80th birthday, that may not happen now... and we still want to adopt when my hubby gets back, which is not cheap .... just a lot of things going on that mean Fozzie can't be over, say $800 at most, or I simply won't be able to afford him any time soon, and even that is going to be stretching things far and would need advance notice... *sigh* I want him and I want Piggy and Rizzo and all the rest of them living in my home.. but I may have to be happy with the 3 I have..

*will completely ruin the Muppet Nativity I had planned though.... *

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
There are no available price on Fozzie as a place to make him has to be found and it depends on their production costs,but I do think it will be highly unlikely that he will retail for under $1000 and he could be double that.Some quotes so far would mean that he would of retailed for $5000!
That's the issue. I perfectly understand the issues and cost involved, but they really can't send Fozzie out with an SRP over $ 799. It really should be under $ 500. The question is how long can they afford to sit on such an investment. :coy:

MuppetCaper

Reaction score
That's the issue. I perfectly understand the issues and cost involved, but they really can't send Fozzie out with an SRP over $ 799. It really should be under $ 500. The question is how long can they afford to sit on such an investment. :coy:

Good question.

the80sdrummer

Reaction score
Also, has anyone made the point that the poll isn't exactly a promise to buy? If someone voted to buy him no matter what the price and he ended up being $1000, would all 600 of us really go out right away and get him? No. Don't get me wrong, I would LOVE him but I think MR realizes that a vote isn't a down payment. I really want him next to my 3 posers, but I can't afford to spend over $700. I voted honestly but I'm sure there are some voters there that aren't going to hold up to their promise.

BlakeMP

Reaction score
I voted, but I gotta tell ya, money is certainly an object for me. It'd certainly be worth the high price tag, but I'm a public school teacher. Dropping that kind of coin is a luxury.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
My (totally arbitrary) thought is that Fozzie really should come in at $ 499 in an edition number of 800 pieces. We know they have the body down pat. The clothing accessories (hat and tie) seem simple and taken care of too. He is tall, but the SRP doesn't include shipping. :wink: The real problem is the facial proportion.

I don't understand the difficulty in mass production of that. Each head (from upper jaw to top of head) can be stuffed with a preformed molded shape to keep that consistent. The eyes, nose and brows could easily be placed correctly afterward if there were some sort of "ratio stencil" predetermining placement. It turns into monkey work at that point doesn't it? I could be wrong. I am not a puppet builder. It's just that I always felt the armature was the tough bit and they have that down. Thoughts?

Also, finding a factory that cares enough to get it right at an agreeable price is key (and much harder than any of us imagined).

MuppetCaper

Reaction score
For me, I put down that I would pay even more for this. I can easily come up with $1000+. If you saw my Star Wars prop collecton from over the years, this would be no different. I understand though that most people cannot afford this and I wished everyone could have all of them. But I agree, MR knows that all 500 people are not going to come up with $500 or even more than that. Also, I don't know if anyone knows this but from what CSTom has put up on the forum board, Fozzie is not the only one having trouble finding a company. Other licenses like Star Trek are having problems. Here is the post Tom put up before the holiday:

Good evening, everyone. Let’s get one thing straight from here on, there’s nothing more behind this, not everything is a conspiracy. Sometimes, bad things happen. The factory in question has been a long term partner and has created many items for us which many of you will have enjoyed. Our Tricorder parts are all sitting in this factory, 100% ready to be assembled. They’re all paid for and have been for sometime however, the factory no longer has adequate staff to finish and assemble these products. This is beyond their control and beyond our control and goes far deeper into the current economic and political issues in China. They’ve been open and honest to us about their situation and we appreciate that. Clearly, it’s a disappointment and we want the Tricorders yesterday, as do you. After all, we’ve already paid for them. They could have simply thrown the remaining Tricorders together with whatever labor they could muster, but they knew this would result in sub-standard product. We wish they could complete the order, but they can’t. So, we are attempting to get all the parts, tooling, etc. out of this factory and into a new one, but this process is not quick and must be done thoroughly to ensure we don’t end up with more issues. Skilled labor for this kind of work is now very hard to find as more than half of the available factories have gone out of business in the last 18 months, and it seems more will follow. This affects everybody and no one manufacturing in China today is immune to these kinds of issues and has to deal with them if they arise.

Obviously, the issues mentioned above are all internal and we take full responsibility for the repeated delays. Flat out, it sucks… We’re trying right now to relaunch MR, as we know that the whole brand has basically been neglected in the last 14 months. This is not the type of news we want out of the gate in MR 2.0. We’re trying to communicate better with everyone and this is why we’ve been so open on this issue. We’ve got big plans for 2009 for Star Trek, James Bond and Ghostbusters props. That’s the core for next year, we’re taking baby steps and trying to produce good products on time at the right price point without biting off more than we can chew. But one of our failings in the past has been facts based on wishes rather than facts based on reality, and going forward that ends now. Likewise, when we screw up or make a mistake, we’ll “fess up,” see above J.

A little bit about MR 2.0… There’s 2 of us. That’s it, no big huge corporate monster. Just whittled down staff trying to keep prop replicas in the company product line. There’s me (Tom) and Barry (no relation to the other well known Barry here, although they’re both Brits) and we’re both passionate and excited about prop replicas. No titles, just hard work and our hands on every facet we can get them on. Again, we are both well aware that some terrible decisions have been taken with MR in the past and the service and products have not been to the standard that we would like to set going forward. The new direction may take a different form, but will be a return to the core values that founded the company. We work in a public company with a corporate set up and rules to follow, so this means we sometimes have to play the game, but we’re passionate, dedicated and most importantly on your side. The prop replica side of the business is the most complicated, time consuming and expensive division, but we don’t need to explain to everybody here why we’re mad enough to even bother. Rest assured, we’re not men in suits. We value the opinions of the RPF and every customer/fan alike. We want to hear how we can make things better and how we can improve going forward. Please, no glib comments, we’ve heard them all before, many, many times and we’re fully aware of our failings.

One more thing, enough with MR and eFX comparisons. We don’t like it, they don’t like it, and in fact it’s getting pretty petty. We love them, we used to work shoulder to shoulder with everyone there and we still talk to them on a regular basis as friends. We both operate as separate companies and we do things differently, it’s not productive to anyone to get into an, “eFX would have done this, MR would have done that” discussion. If you want that type of drama, turn on the T.V. between the hours of 10:00 AM – 3:00 PM, there’s plenty there .

We’re posting this here as our own forum is down this weekend in preparation for our new website launch next week. Our first step in a new direction. We’re here and if you ever need to reach us our number is (888) 4POPCO1, EXT 130 (Tom), EXT 110 (Barry).

Happy Holidays Everybody (we’re trying),
Tom and Barry

Update 01/09 - we're still looking for a factory. I'll be posting updates as soon as they're available.

I can understand how he feels. They are trying there hardest. I hope 2009 is going to be a better year for them. :frown:

unclematt

Reaction score
ditto that. It is just upsetting to have Kermit and Gonzo and no Fozzie. I could have done without the Animal replica