Save Mister Rogers' Neighborhood

sesameguy

Reaction score
Hi all- I know some of us are Mr. Rogers fans, so I wanted to pass this on. I've done a posting on my blog reffering to all this, but here's an excerpt:

===========================

Okay everybody, I want you to get out your local TV listings and check and see if “Mister Rogers’ Neighborhood” is on the air in your area. It is? Okay, now listen very carefully. Set up your video recorder to record every single episode you can over the next few weeks in August. Why should you do this? Because there’s a chance you will never be able to do this again. Take a look at this message from Family Communications, the producers of "Mr. Rogers":

The Mister Rogers’ Neighborhood broadcast schedule will change beginning in September. Rather than being part of PBS national schedule, each local PBS station will choose when to air the Neighborhood series. They might choose to make room in their schedule to air the program daily as they have in the past -- or they may choose a weekend broadcast of one specially selected episode.
“Weekends with Mister Rogers” offers PBS stations one featured episode from each week of Neighborhood programs, for stations to air as part of their Saturday or Sunday children’s lineup.

http://www.fci.org/newsletter/readnews.asp?ID=107&newsletterid=27

I don’t know yet if I will lose the Mr. Rogers show in my area, but I am hoping that I don’t. I’ll know for sure near the end of this month, when the September schedules begin to appear. While the “Weekend” show sounds like a good idea, we would miss out on the usual format we’ve grown accustomed to.

Or will we? A concerned parent has started a campaign to keep the daily episodes of “Mr. Rogers” on the air. He’s not alone- others have voiced their concerns and are currently contacting their local stations to keep the daily version of the show running. Read all about it here:

http://savemisterrogers.com/

While most grown-ups like me enjoy the show for its nostalgia value, according to the Web site, that’s not what this movement is about:

I’ve just read a blog piece linking to our site that cites nostalgia as the driving force behind our campaign. While we appreciate the link, make no mistake about it… This isn’t about nostalgia. It is not about the fact that Mister Rogers’ Neighborhood is a timeless children’s television classic. And it is not even about the fact that the man himself is considered a national treasure. What our campaign is most certainly about is the enduring ability of Mister Rogers’ Neighborhood to have a unique nurturing influence on the lives of today’s (and tomorrow’s) children. This is needed today as much as ever.
- Brian

==========================

http://heroshaven.blogspot.com/

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Oh no! I sure hope they show it daily where I live!

Redsonga

Reaction score
They have not shown Mister Rogers at all on my PBS station for many many years now :frown:. I really miss it...and I think everyone can benefit from it being on again :smile:. It is a shame it has been so long since it has been on where I live I did not even think anywhere else even had it anymore :frown:.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
They have not shown Mister Rogers at all on my PBS station for many many years now .
Same here, it hasn't been on. I can order episodes from IO, but obviously that's not the same. It's a shame, kids today would definitely benefit from him, the way he discussed feelings and told kids to be confident in themselves. Well, at least there are episodes on DVD!

mikebennidict

Reaction score
I wonder how the ratings are for the long running series and if it could also be a factor for the unfortunate dicision?

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Duuno, but I've observed that even good ratings won't always save a show.

Redsonga

Reaction score
I wonder how the ratings are for the long running series and if it could also be a factor for the unfortunate dicision?
It is nice when a show is actually on to get any sort of ratings though:coy:

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
he show does still get good ratings! Not as god as it's peak. But really good for being on this long and for PBS!

Drtooth

Reaction score
Probably not half as good as the annoying, loud, crass, discreditable garbage on Nick Jr... or even some of PBS's newer shows.

How come this sort of thing never happens to Barney? People were sick of him in the 90's, and since his show is a one trick pony, why has it lasted this long?