Sanjay an Craig: New Nick series

mr3urious

Reaction score
http://original-signature.com/nickelodeons-sanjay-craig-premieres-june-1st/

It's a show about a boy and his talking snake, and only the boy knows that he can talk. The duo go on all sorts of adventures so long as nobody finds out.

It's created by the character designers of Bob's Burgers, while the producers of The Advenures of Pete & Pete and Flapjack will be producing it. The guy who voices Sanjay is the same one who voices Baljeet on Phineas & Ferb, too.

Already there are people complaining that it's a ripoff of Regular Show and Adventure Time when they haven't even seen it yet. I, for one, am giving it a chance because it looks promising. Plus, it's an animated show on a network overrun by tweencoms.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Ugh...why is everything a "ripoff" of something when everything copies off something else. I hate going to the app store on my kindle and everyone complains about launching games being a rip off of angry birds when similar better games existed before it...

Adventure Time and Regular Show are nothing new. Similar shows existed before it. It's impossible to make a new show and not have it similar to something else :/

JonnyBMuppetMan

Reaction score
Ugh...why is everything a "ripoff" of something when everything copies off something else. I hate going to the app store on my kindle and everyone complains about launching games being a rip off of angry birds when similar better games existed before it...
Admittedly I had that mentality when I was 14, and thought The X's was a knock-off of The Incredibles (Remember The X's??? I knew you didn't. :stick_out_tongue:)

I'm not wild about what I've seen so far, but I may give this new show a chance. I doubt that it's going to have much rewatchability or become very popular; let's face it, no Nicktoon has since SpongeBob or Avatar.

mr3urious

Reaction score
I'm not wild about what I've seen so far, but I may give this new show a chance. I doubt that it's going to have much rewatchability or become very popular; let's face it, no Nicktoon has since SpongeBob or Avatar.
I really hope Nick doesn't toss it aside if it doesn't get SpongeBob-level acclaim, even though that took a while to get popular. That's what they did with just about all of their cartoons that weren't SB.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
From just that one picture I'm not really liking the art style. (I can be a bit of a snob when it comes to character design :stick_out_tongue:). But I can't say if it will be good or not. Anything has to be better than Fanboy and Chum Chum O_e

Drtooth

Reaction score
Already there are people complaining that it's a ripoff of Regular Show and Adventure Time when they haven't even seen it yet. I, for one, am giving it a chance because it looks promising. Plus, it's an animated show on a network overrun by tweencoms.
Yeah. Someone contacted me about it... it looks meh so far, but you can never tell anything from the previews. A lot of cartoons I though I'd hate I rather liked.
Well, FOP is still around. It's alright, I guess. It's suffering from long runner syndrome. I'm VERY happy Nick's TMNT is very popular. Other than that, if it's not some live action tween com, they tend to toss it aside. This show may be good, may be lousy... can't tell right now... but something tells me Nick's going to screw it. Still not happy about Catscratched disappearing so quickly.

JonnyBMuppetMan

Reaction score
Well, FOP is still around. It's alright, I guess. It's suffering from long runner syndrome.
I'd say more so Dil Pickles/Scrappy-Doo syndrome, but that's probably what you meant. People complain about SpongeBob tanking after the first three seasons, but at the very least, I'd give them credit for lasting this long without shamelessly shoehorning a new major character.

This show may be good, may be lousy... can't tell right now... but something tells me Nick's going to screw it.
That's what I'm presuming too. I get the feeling that even if Nick kept Adventure Time, it wouldn't turn out as good as it did.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'd say more so Dil Pickles/Scrappy-Doo syndrome, but that's probably what you meant. People complain about SpongeBob tanking after the first three seasons, but at the very least, I'd give them credit for lasting this long without shamelessly shoehorning a new major character.
Long runners have a tendency to have to add new characters. Poof's alright, the Dog's pretty good I guess. I hear Spongebob has the exact opposite problem, taking characters away.

That's what I'm presuming too. I get the feeling that even if Nick kept Adventure Time, it wouldn't turn out as good as it did.
Adventure Time is successful for one reason. It found an audience in a market in tweens and teens. A market that's usually reserved for 1980's style TGIF sitcoms made to sell CD's. Nick never had this fanbase. That's why Zim became a cult show. Their cartoons are strictly for little kiddies no matter how much innuendo they shove into them. Nick would possibly constantly Meddle with AT, and presumably take away the darker moments that make the show what it is... though they tend to keep most of them in Avatar (including Kora) and TMNT (which surprisingly outdoes the last series in darkness sometimes). Meanwhile AT pretty much saved CN from being the "All crummy live action shows of kids hosting decades old internet videos since we totally get groovey children, Dude" Network.

Personally, I'm surprised Regular Show has kid appeal. It's made clearly for 30 year olds that remember the 80's.

mr3urious

Reaction score
After seeing Sanjay & Craig online, I'm enjoying it so far. Its constant Ren & Stimpy level of toilet humor is not for everyone, though, but its target audience should delight in it. Plus, I like how Sanjay isn't a Bollywood Nerd stereotype, though his (presumably Caucasian) mom does work as a surgeon.

Like Regular Show, S&C is very reliant on '80s nostalgia. I'm loving the washed up '80s action star character.

Its premiere episode nearly topped 4 million viewers in its target demographic, second only to SpongeBob. Let's hope those numbers are good enough for Nick.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/20...ion-viewers-to-sanjay-and-craig-debut/184837/