?'s about Do De Rubba Duck.

PhsychoChimp

Reaction score
I have a few questions about this clip. First, why where Hoots and Glaydus used? Grover, Cookie or Herry could have taken there spot. Or better yet, keep Hoots and Glaydus and add Grover. Was Elmo really any use to jam out in the hamper? Also, I know the first few preforms on the set and singing where Jim, Matt, and Carol. But when Kermit appeared, didn't it seem he was dancing like David Golez's puppets? Also, if it was Frank, he could use the two arm controll rods better, and David seems only good with that with Gonzo. And if the left arm sleve of Ernie was where to be stuffed, same with the count, two more puppets could have joined. And why did Frank choose not to sing? Some one, please help me answer these questions.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
I guess they can't satisfy everyone and since this skit is almost 20 years old now, Why worry about it now?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Dave Goelz did not perform on Sesame Street back then. The only time that he did perform was in the 24th season.

I wonder if Frank Oz actually performed in that skit. He was directing movies around that time and wasn't available as much as he had been, and I doubt that the producers would have went through the trouble to get Frank Oz to perform a non-speaking role. Bert could have been performed by somebody else. Of course, the producers could have also waited untill Frank Oz was available and filmed Bert's brief cameo then.

If Frank Oz did perform in that skit, then I wonder who he performed. I was actually thinking about this earlier today. Seems like in an early skit like Dee Dee Dee, where any of his characters appear and don't speak, I think it's safe to assume that Frank Oz did the puppetry anyway, but in something from the late 1980s, like this, I think otherwise.

I do think it's weird that Cookie Monster and Grover weren't in the bathtub (heck, I think Bert shoudl have been there with the others). I also think it's weird that Biff was there but Sully wasn't.

I wonder if the producers originally intended for Elmo to be there. Of course, Elmo's voice can be heard in the chouras. Maybe the original plan was not to have Elmo in the skit, but then Kevin Clash chose to sing back-up in Elmo's voice, and then he was put in based on that. Or maybe Jim Henson had intended on having Elmo be a star and had him appear anyway, similar to how Rizzo was always there in the background hanging out with the main cast for years before he became a main character.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
mikebennidict said:
I guess they can't satisfy everyone and since this skit is almost 20 years old now, Why worry about it now?
Well maybe I overdid it when I said why worry about it now but I'll ask why was it bad that Hoots and Glady's were used?

PhsychoChimp

Reaction score
mikebennidict said:
Well maybe I overdid it when I said why worry about it now but I'll ask why was it bad that Hoots and Glady's were used?
Well, Hoots is ok... But Gladys just doesn't seem right. :embarrassed:
Also, when Biff and Guy come in, is it me, or does Telly's eye seem broken? His left eye lid is up, while the right one is down... Is this an error in the puppet?:confused:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
PhsychoChimp said:
Well, Hoots is ok... But Gladys just doesn't seem right.
I wish that Sully was used instead. Or Sherlock Hemlock. Or Simon Soundman.

PhsychoChimp

Reaction score
minor muppetz said:
I wish that Sully was used instead. Or Sherlock Hemlock. Or Simon Soundman.
Cookie and Grover would have been better. :wink:
Edit: I notice Oscar's upstageing everyone. Very funny... :stick_out_tongue:

Blue Weirdo

Reaction score
The question I have is why was Oscar there? Taking a bath seems totally out of character for a grouch.

Elmo was there but he was in the hamper instead of the tub. If Oscar had been the one in the hamper with all the dirty clothes I would shake it off but the only type of bath a grouch should take is a mud bath.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Blue Weirdo said:
The question I have is why was Oscar there? Taking a bath seems totally out of character for a grouch.

Elmo was there but he was in the hamper instead of the tub. If Oscar had been the one in the hamper with all the dirty clothes I would shake it off but the only type of bath a grouch should take is a mud bath.
Maybe Caroll Spinney really wanted to be a part of the song, but Big Bird and Bruno would have been too big for the tub.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
mikebennidict said:
Well, we consider it a classic since it's the only thing with :smile: in it that's still on the show these days. Lol.

Anyway, here's my thoughts on this. It is true that they could have gotten Frank's characters involved, especially since Bert didn't say anything in that one. Maybe he was busy with another project at the time and wasn't available.

I guess they could have gotten different puppateers rather than using three Henson voiced characters or two Jerry Nelson characters for that matter. Of course, I'm kind of glad it worked out the way it did now since it's rare to see Kermit, Biff, Guy, etc. on the show.

Or maybe Jim Henson had intended on having Elmo be a star and had him appear anyway, similar to how Rizzo was always there in the background hanging out with the main cast for years before he became a main character.
Well, that's food for thought, though I think if Jim were alive today, I don't think he would have had Elmo be as popular as he is now.

Maybe the original plan was not to have Elmo in the skit, but then Kevin Clash chose to sing back-up in Elmo's voice, and then he was put in based on that.
Hmmmm. I think if that were the case, they might have given Elmo a solo part. Unless Kev preferred to do the Elmo voice to the Hoots voice. It's something to think about.