Rumor: The Muppet Wizard of Oz

beaker

Reaction score
When will the satires, spinoffs, adaptations, and classic fairy tale reinterpretations end...and the originality begin?

I know what Muppet of Oz should be about...it will star the JHC company itself, as they need to go find the Wizard which can grant them footing, money, edge, clout, and the magic back.

Luke

Reaction score
beaker said:
I know what Muppet of Oz should be about...it will star the JHC company itself, as they need to go find the Wizard which can grant them footing, money, edge, clout, and the magic back.
Ever seen a mouse wearing a wizards hat ? :embarrassed:

sarah_yzma

Reaction score
BoyRaisin2 said:
I see what you mean. Being that Kermit has no nose, fans might be confused as to why Kermit is scratching his face all that time. :cool:

And MCC is awesome.
*raises hand sheepishly* I would...

c'mon...you gotta wonder how...and then....

Does he eat it?

No1MuppetFan

Reaction score
Personally I think this idea is FANTASTIC!!! :smile:
I mean, look at all the times Jim Henson made comments on the original film in specials, etc. He obviously loved the film and, I think, would have loved to make a version with his beloved Muppets. Although it would be a bit plain if there was no Muppet humour in it, the fact of bringing my two favourite icons together obviously spells "SPECTACULAR"!!!! :excited:
I think this won't happen though, due to copyright issues. I once wrote to Warner Bros. the owners of the film and asked if they would allow an Australian production of the movie to be released on DVD. They said no, as they didn't like the idea of the movie being in competition with the live stage version. :mad:

mkelley

Reaction score
No1MuppetFan said:
Personally I think this idea is FANTASTIC!!! :smile:
I mean, look at all the times Jim Henson made comments on the original film in specials, etc. He obviously loved the film and, I think, would have loved to make a version with his beloved Muppets. Although it would be a bit plain if there was no Muppet humour in it, the fact of bringing my two favourite icons together obviously spells "SPECTACULAR"!!!! :excited:
I think this won't happen though, due to copyright issues. I once wrote to Warner Bros. the owners of the film and asked if they would allow an Australian production of the movie to be released on DVD. They said no, as they didn't like the idea of the movie being in competition with the live stage version. :mad:
Um, WOZ isn't copyrighted, although the movie is.

Frank L. Baum's books (all of his books, although the WOZ series was later taken over by other authors who wrote new books after he died and those books remain in copyright) are public domain. Which is why it's so tempting for people to approach the stories.

I also think this is a rumor that has very little basis in fact, but unlike most here, I think it would be a great idea. Precisely *because* people are so familar with the classic movie, it would be a great draw for new Muppet fans. Very commercial. And the Muppets would do a take on it that would make it very much their own (there's no reason they need to even stick with the story from the movie, which was only one *very* small part of Dorothy's story, let alone the OZ universe. I'd love them to have Ozma, for one thing).

Taking a traditional story that has passed into the public domain and making it your own has a long tradition -- Disney basically built a corporation out of doing it. Few would think that Disney was simply not original when he did Snow White, Pinnochio, Little Mermaid, Aladdin, et. al, because it's *how* you tell the story that is far more important that what story you're telling. After all, there probably aren't any new stories anyway: just about every idea for a storyline has been used and reused a million times (BTW, Star Wars is filled with references to WOZ, as is just about every movie made in the last 60 years).

If MTI and MCC didn't seem too original that really had nothing to do with the back story: let's face it, Treasure Planet and Scrooged used the same stories and were quite imaginative. If the folks at Henson productions could do something worthwhile with this I think all of us would like to see it.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I'm somewhat of an Oz afficiondo (or at least used to be) on the books. Return to Oz was a disappointment to me because it wasn't only too dark as compared to the books, but it was a blend of The Land Of Oz and Ozma of Oz, and they changed up too much stuff about the stories.

I would like to see the Muppets do their OWN films, not taking stories from stories like this, and please NOT ANOTHER CHRISTMAS FILM!! There's so many of those now. I'd like a Muppets film about the Muppets, where they are themselves.

However, I would like to see the JHC take on the Oz stories series, but remain true to the original tales, and not change it too far out of context. The great thing about the books is that Oz is a real place, the '39 MGM film had Dorothy do it all in a dream, which I thunk stunk! I like the personalities of the characters in the books better than in the films, too.

Baum wrote 14 Oz books alone, then they were taken up by Ruth Plumley Thompson, and I think her books are even good!

But, nah, I don't wanna see the Muppets do this film. I want them to do The Cheapest Muppet Movie Ever Made! LOL! That has always made me chuckle about that film.

mb22

Reaction score
Henson and Oz

I second the above suggestion that the Henson Co. look at the other Oz books beside WIZARD. And as noted above, a big part of RETURN TO OZ's problems, were the unneccesarily dark tone and frightening incidents. All 14 Baum books are in public domain and there are a huge number of wonderful characters and places that can be utilized in either a Muppety take on Oz or a straight Baum dramatization.

radionate

Reaction score
Some of you guys might know Artie. He has posted at Tough Pigs saying this is indeed true, and its the 2nd movie of a 3 movie deal with NBC.