Rumor: Muppets Stage Show

Drtooth

Reaction score
Would it be like those stupid sesame street live things with drunk people in costumes or are we talking real puppeteers and real puppets? And would it be this new kiddie stuff Disney has been pumping out of the muppets lately or would it be more like classic muppet show?
You are proof we need a dislike button.

Nuff said.

JimAndFrank

Reaction score
You know usually I'd be over the moon at this news, but the fact remains that I'll never see it even if it does go ahead. I live over the other side of the world and I doubt it will come to Australia. That be too convenient.

Drtooth

Reaction score
That said, I think that each performance should have at least one anchor performer, like Steve, Bill or Eric, to shepherd the production. Of course I'd prefer all the original performers, but that really doesn't seem feasible for 8 shows a week. Not even for a limited run. The technical aspects of such a show would prove to be a feat for even a young performer.
At the risk of bubble bursting, it sounds like there's a reason that this was an unrealized dream of Jim Henson's. The logistics are going to be a killer. But there is hope... it's not like this is the first ever Broadway Show using puppets as main characters. I agree... I can see smaller, limited runs that pop up every so often. I'm sure they'll try to get as many of the official performers as possible to at least perform once or twice.

There's a great opportunity here to perform some things from Muppets take Manhattan, even if they're just used as a passing reference.

MrBloogarFoobly

Reaction score
As much as I would love to see the Muppets on stage, I would be afraid that they would just use recorded vocals and have some random puppeteers play the characters. I would only pay for a show with the actual Muppet performers, not some puppeteers-for-hire.

"The Muppet Show Live" worked pretty well; I don't see why this couldn't.

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
You know usually I'd be over the moon at this news, but the fact remains that I'll never see it even if it does go ahead. I live over the other side of the world and I doubt it will come to Australia. That be too convenient.

Hey! Maybe it'll be a travelling show! Personally, I can't see this being on Broadway all the time. I'm sure they'll do travelling shows, just like they do now for current Broadway shows.

Drtooth

Reaction score
As much as I would love to see the Muppets on stage, I would be afraid that they would just use recorded vocals and have some random puppeteers play the characters. I would only pay for a show with the actual Muppet performers, not some puppeteers-for-hire.
They would have to use understudies being a live stage show. If it was one performance, they could get all the performers no doubt. But if they have multiple performances in a certain period of time, they are going to have to have other puppeteers play the roles at some point. But something tells me, like the Muppet Cruise show, they'd go with seasoned professionals that have worked with Henson and Sesame Workshop before.