Rumor: Abby gets own segment

The Shoe Fairy

Reaction score
If Abby's segment uses a pre-existing Sesame song for its theme, I'm betting it'll riff on either of these two songs (I don't know the official titles):
  1. The one describing her love of words.
  2. The one teaching that different kinds of children (in her case, fairies vs. normals) can learn from each other and play together as friends.
Well, It will have an anti-discriminatory message behind it then.
I Hope the tune to Jingle Bells won't end every segement though.

ISNorden

Reaction score
I Hope the tune to Jingle Bells won't end every segement though.
That makes two of us, at least...though I admit the song choices were educated guesses on my part ("Elmo's World" uses a rewrite of a fragment from "Elmo's Song" as its theme).

Drtooth

Reaction score
I think that would work better as an episode than a segment.

It would be fun to see them use that for the "Word on the Street" stuff, replacing the celebrity ones (half of them were really good, the others just screamed "Hey MA [or my kids] ! I'm on Sesame Street!")

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I wonder if people were quite as disagreeable when characters like Don Music or Forgetful Jones were first added to the show? Granted, they didn't get their 'own' segments, but they were added as basically regulars of the show.

I don't understand all the anger and character-hate going on lately? Am I delerious, or aren't there more kind ways of disagreeing with each other or discussing your opinion about a certain character?

StreetScenes

Reaction score
that's a good point, fozzie. what was the reaction to global grover? & speaking of don music, his sketches are fairly long and they're all variations on the same joke, with the same catch phrase, yet we like them specifically for that... maybe the 26 episode seasons are the problem--writers & muppeteers need scenes to develop abby's character, but it feels like overexposure when it's even less than older characters got to establish themselves, because of the percentage of screen time it takes.

as i said earlier, i think it'll be fine because the internet will be a better format for ss's education and entertainment goals, and the workshop knows it & is acting on it. i think the tv show will continue but be less important, and the efforts of sw will go into the internet. you know if cooney et al were starting ctw today that's what they'd do, and if jim was still running things he'd be ten years ahead in puppeteering in new media.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
I don't think were aginst a new character as much as we a possible new format of the show that would futher diminish what us older fans love about it, Foz.

StreetScenes

Reaction score
I don't think were aginst a new character as much as we a possible new format of the show that would futher diminish what us older fans love about it, Foz.
definitely, but i think fozzie's point is that we then translate that distaste to the character of abby or elmo in a way that we probably didn't do for grover or ernie when they got segments, and probably wouldn't if it was a classic character rumored to get a segment.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
I see what you mean. But in all honestly, Grover kind of has more them earned a segment on the shoe while Abby just seemingly gets one over night. I mean Grover had his own segment on the show and it and he still gets nowhere near the exposure that Elmo and Abby get. So it's not as much the characters as the over exposure they are receiving.

Redsonga

Reaction score
definitely, but i think fozzie's point is that we then translate that distaste to the character of abby or elmo in a way that we probably didn't do for grover or ernie when they got segments, and probably wouldn't if it was a classic character rumored to get a segment.
I think it has more to do with the characters as characters...While Grover and Forgetful were more well rounded, Elmo and Abby are more happy go lucky all the time (that's not to say that they don't get sad sometimes but still) and sometimes that can really get to a certain group of viewers, parents, and even the target age group, making them not care for the characters as much or think SS is 'for babies' since they in a large way could be held as symbols of taking the show down to the more simple level it is now at, which could at times be seen as talking down to the average preschooler (but then a lot of shows now days do not give younger children enough credit for what they might be able to understand and not get upset about all on their lonesome).
Some of the hate as far as I understand it, could also be linked to the fact that they have been really pushing Abby lately and the idea of her own show could be seen a bit as overkill. I think the fact that (unlike when Forgetful got a series) the street scenes are getting shorter and shorter and the character segments are now much longer (I think) could be doing a lot to support this bitterness, as it can mean in the long run less focus on all the other characters to fit in a theme song:sympathy:.

I'm not saying I agree or dis-agree with these feelings, only that I can understand why someone could feel that way (even little ones) and that I think that it is heathy to talk about what makes us unhappy as well as happy as long as we never give up hope on SS. That is what is most important IMHO:excited:

The Shoe Fairy

Reaction score
I think it has more to do with the characters as characters...While Grover and Forgetful were more well rounded, Elmo and Abby are more happy go lucky all the time (that's not to say that they don't get sad sometimes but still) and sometimes that can really get to a certain group of viewers, parents, and even the target age group, making them not care for the characters as much or think SS is 'for babies' since they in a large way could be held as symbols of taking the show down to the more simple level it is now at, which could at times be seen as talking down to the average preschooler (but then a lot of shows now days do not give younger children enough credit for what they might be able to understand and not get upset about all on their lonesome).
Some of the hate as far as I understand it, could also be linked to the fact that they have been really pushing Abby lately and the idea of her own show could be seen a bit as overkill. I think the fact that (unlike when Forgetful got a series) the street scenes are getting shorter and shorter and the character segments are now much longer (I think) could be doing a lot to support this bitterness, as it can mean in the long run less focus on all the other characters to fit in a theme song:sympathy:.

I'm not saying I agree or dis-agree with these feelings, only that I can understand why someone could feel that way (even little ones) and that I think that it is heathy to talk about what makes us unhappy as well as happy as long as we never give up hope on SS. That is what is most important IMHO:excited:
And Amen to that!:smile: