1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Rowlf Puppet

Discussion in 'Puppet Building and Performing' started by rtgentry, Oct 4, 2005.

1. rtgentry

rtgentry Member

Hey guys does anyone out there have a successfull replica Rowlf Puppet that they made? As one of my favorite muppets , Its one that I cannot figure out.
  2. rtgentry

rtgentry Member

Okay the only tip I have so far for starting a rowlf puppet is to a 7in foam ball in diameter for the head construction. Anyone have any more tips. I need to know what to use for the eyes and espicially the nose.
  3. gfarkwort

gfarkwort Member

plastic Spoons for the eyes may be good...
  4. Melonpool

Melonpool Member

5. rtgentry

rtgentry Member

Okay I have started the rowlf according to the feedback I have received so far. I purchased a couple of 7in poof foam balls from wal-mart. I use an electric knife to cut the mouth. I bought some model magic to shape the nose with. I really want to get the right fur. So I will have to go to jo anns or hancock to see if they have anything close.

I will try to post progress pics to see what advice I can get.

Does any have a pattern for the human hand glove puppet like I would need for rowlf?

Walmart has some furry pillows that would be almost perfect for rowlfs fur. I wish I could get it in a larger piece...
  6. SesameKermie

SesameKermie Member

It's not a true "pattern" but try looking for the "Consumer Monster" on Google. (I don't remember its link offhand.) The puppet is a similar type to Rowlf, and should give you some ideas.

Hope this helps,

Jason
  7. rtgentry

rtgentry Member

8. rtgentry

rtgentry Member

I am really looking for a pattern for the body, which < like rowlf> has the hands attached . I know I have seen an old commerical pattern for a puppet like that. I just cant find it.
  9. KermieBaby47

KermieBaby47 Well-Known Member

Here's a picture of my puppet creation, Rufus the Dragon (c):
    http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y265/toughie47/000_00022.jpg

The way I made him, his body looks just like Rowlfs. If you'll notice on Rowlf: his arms aren't separated as with Fozzie, they're just one big piece. Here's a quick drawing of how I cut out his body and gloves:
    http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y265/toughie47/RufusBodyPattern.jpg

On my puppet, I used one big piece for the front, and another same piece for the back. MC member Jinx suggested that I use a Seam Ripper or a similar pick to pull the fur out along the seams (when you're all done) to better hide them (be sure to not rip the actual thread in the seam!). I had originally planned to do that, but had run out of time. I still will though, as it's a much better effect.

Good Luck!
    :)
    Anthony
  10. KermieBaby47

I made the eyes and tooth out of Sculpy. Before baking, I took a screw (the same size I'd use afterwards) and carefully screwed it in and out the bottoms of the eyes. The tooth was a shell that I later hot-glued a piece of foam into (in retrospect, I'd do the eyes the same way so they wouldn't be so heavy). After baking all three pieces, I painted them white, then sprayed on an acrylic matte coat for shine.

As for a Rowlf nose, that's a toughie for me. I'd probably do it the hard way: sculpt it out of Sculpy, bake it, make a mold of it (with Plaster of Paris), then 3 or 4 layer the mold with black-dyed Liquid Latex Rubber. Don't forget to line the mold with Petroleum Jelly when making the mold and when filling it later. I'm sure there's a much easier way, somebody please post it!

Anthony
  11. ravagefrackle

ravagefrackle New Member

rowlfs nose is made out of wood,
  12. Ryan

Ryan New Member

I did a similar puppet with the same design a while back, Murky the swamp creature
    I used the same exact idea. It works really well, especially when you add foam. I've never heard of anyone putting two fingers in anything except the pinky, though. I guess that's preference.
  13. Ryan

Ryan New Member

Also, sculpted foam for the head would probably work well. I don't think there's a seam down the middle of Rowlf's face, though, so that may be a little bit of a challenge.
  14. Super Scooter

Super Scooter New Member

Rowlf is actually a fairly simple design. It shouldn't be too hard to make. I'd suggest finding several pictures of him and making your pattern right from that. That's what I usually do when I make my puppets.
  15. Melonpool

Melonpool Member

You know, there is a preliminary sketch of Rowlf in Jim Henson: The Works on pages 32-33. The reason I mention it, is that it gives dimensions (8 1/2 inches to the neck, 12 inches from shoulder-to-shoulder. I don;t know how accurate those are, but it might be a good place to start.

Steve
  16. rtgentry

rtgentry Member

17. Whatever

Whatever Active Member

The puppets that people made in this thread are awesome!
  18. KermieBaby47

Whoa man, Murky and Rufus could be cousins! :D

I was watching MTM with my nephews the other day, and I did notice that Jerry had his ring and left fingers in Lews' pinky finger. It probably is preference, I just never heard of it!:crazy:
    Thanks!
    Looks pretty good to me, and I know what you were saying about those pillows they carry too, I'd been thinking the same thing!

Anthony
  19. doctort13

doctort13 Member

Me love this thread!

My daughter is a Cookie Monster fan, and I have been thinking of making a Cookie puppet to entertain her with. The toy puppet that a friend gave us at her birth is in need of a break...she bites it!

So thanks for posting the pattern, I'll be sure to take a picture when (ever) I build the puppet.

I love seeing everyones puppets too!:)
  20. KermieBaby47

So rtgentry, are you still working on your Rowlf puppet? Better yet, are you done and can we see some pics?

Hee-hee, really love lookin' at other peoples' puppets. Doctort13, can't wait to see your puppet too!

:D