Room for improvement?

Hays

Reaction score
I've heard how many of you dislike the following: Elmo's World, Monster Clubhouse, Journey to Ernie, etc. but not a lot of specifics on what to do to improve them; it occurred to me that we could probably offer better information about what works and doesn't. So, pick your biggest pet peeve on the show and suggest how you would improve it - please, keep it positive!

For instance, I think getting kids up and moving with Monster Clubhouse is a great idea. My son loves "Honk your nose, touch your toes, spin around and strike a pose!" I think this part of the segment works - but I think they should axe the idea that it's an introduction to preschool. It's too big for a segment this short, and makes the segment too frenetic. Maybe change it to a disco, and have dances the kids can learn? My son is, unfortunately, addicted to the Wiggles because he loves the dances - and the annoying music. I'd love to see Sesame Street produce something more intelligent.

If you were a creative consultant on SS, what would you have to offer to improve the show?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Originally posted by Hays

For instance, I think getting kids up and moving with Monster Clubhouse is a great idea. My son loves "Honk your nose, touch your toes, spin around and strike a pose!" I think this part of the segment works - but I think they should axe the idea that it's an introduction to preschool. It's too big for a segment this short, and makes the segment too frenetic. Maybe change it to a disco, and have dances the kids can learn?
I agree. It's fun for a while, but after seeing it like 5 times, it gets repetitive, annoying, and just doesn't it with Sesame Street. I think if they had a stretch time, as per your suggestions, instead of this, it would be stronger.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score

Well, it's been ages since I've watched the show, but from what I hear about it. I don't think it's the best idea. I grew up watching the show's old format. I remember a lot of classic sketches on the show that are no longer played anymore. (In fact, even as we speak I'm listening to "Caribean Amphibean) I think I should try to tune into the show some time during Thanksgiving break and see how different it's become.

dcfboss

Reaction score
First on the list....

Elmo's World:

Number one complaint...way too long. I think it's very smart that they show this for as long as they do from a business p.o.v because Elmo is the most heavily marketed character so it makes sense to show him as much as possible. Taking into consideration that it's a children's show, the things Elmo does is annoying to the older viewers. I'm only 19, and i'll admit that I haven't watched the show in years prior to this past August, so I missed a lot of the new characters and the way they were introduced into the show. The thing about Elmo's world is that Elmo picks his subject of the day and keeps going on and on about it. If they want to make it shorter, they can axe the mr noodle segment. he must be the most helpless man on earth. They can also do without him watching the tv too. I know it's not just me, but his voice gets to be too much after a while too.

Baby Bear:

This has got to be the dumbest thing I've ever seen. And when you hear his voice and watch as he crunches his nose you will know why. The only good part about him is that he's not shown every episode. His "hero guy" skits are very repetitive mainly because there's about 6 of them. His little speech problem is very stupid and can encourage kids to talk like that. Granted some of the monster's don't use correct english like Elmo who always seems to refer to himself in the 3rd person and Cookie Monster who says "Me" instead of "I". Still, Baby Bear should just get kidnapped next time Goldilocks wonders in for porridge.

The Count:

All he does is sit and play his organ. He doesn't really have a purpose, well he does but it's not like the letter of the day where there is some substance to it. Make something happen to the Count that prevents him from revealing the number of the day. Do something because it's just not working, but the count is great, too bad they dont take advantage of it.

Journey to Ernie:

Just a cheap knock off of Blues Clues

Well there are my opinions. I got more, but I am pressed for time and I don't want to be late for my date, so I'll write more later.

Gonzo14

Reaction score
There should be more clips from the Older Sesame Street