1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Romney wants ads during Sesame Street

Discussion in 'Sesame Street' started by Phillip, Dec 29, 2011.

1. Drtooth Well-Known Member

We have to stop thinking in terms of Sesame Street being in danger. It's PBS they willfully want to nickle and dime for various political reasons. The government gives a pittance of tax payer money to PBS. Not funding them is not going to make us all millionaires and take away from our tax payments. We'll still pay the same amount of taxes, it'll just go to something the right loves to fund. Their pork. PBS literally gets less than a hay penny a person. Even NASA gets next to nothing from us collectively. Cutting funding for PBS is a cheap political stunt. We're not going to be completely out of debt if we get rid of it. We won't even make a dent in the interest compounded over the course of a day if our money went there.

We're in huge financial trouble, not because of a tiny sliver of tax payer money going to public broadcasting (which still makes its money from corporate sponsorship, just not nearly enough). We're in financial trouble because we went to war 2 times and cut our taxes 3 times during. Every single Republican governor during that period slashed budgets unwisely to afford local tax cuts, none of which any of us could share in. The crap hit the fan, every single state was deeply in the red, all to give rich guys more money than they need. And things were cut to make room for that. The only thing NOT on the table is taking those historically generous tax cuts and corporate welfare away, especially at a time of record profits. So the budget cuts, once again, come off of our backs.

Now, i could say a LOT about Romney, he's a empty corporate suit that's running on a "Our crap don't stink" ticket, but he RUINED the state's economy. His insanely poorly cut budget forced government employees to have to take furloughs (also known as "beware, you're about to be fired") and left us heavily in debt. There are bad decisions under him we're still reeling from. He pretty much left the state to campaign for the 2008 primary, all the while badmouthing the very same state that elected him. I mean, even if you look past the fact that every story he tells to humanize him more ends in hundreds of people getting fired, and that everything he says sounds like it comes out of the mouth of Mr. Burns, he's a freaking terrible leader. I take it back... he's not even an empty suit. He's that pile of money with googly eyes on the Geico commercials. but hey, we're entitled and selfish as a country to elect a robber baron who will most likely sell us to China. If there's one thing he's good at, he's selling poor people out and feathering his nest with the profits.
  2. mr3urious Well-Known Member

May 1, 1969: Congress was making budget cuts left and right. One beloved TV messiah managed to save PBS from the chopping block. :)

Taco Monster, heralde and jvcarroll like this.
  3. Taco Monster Member

^We really could use a man like him again...
  4. D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Well, at least Obama is now weighing on Romney's comments, saying the one thing we've all been thinking:

"Thank goodness, we had no idea Big Bird was driving the federal deficit."
    jvcarroll and Muppet fan 123 like this.
  5. Drtooth Well-Known Member

If Romney does get elected (biting my own tongue and throwing salt over my shoulders), I want Sesame Street to blacklist Ann from coming on the show as part of their tradition of inviting first ladies.
    jvcarroll and Muppet fan 123 like this.
  6. Muppet fan 123 Well-Known Member

Yes. I strongly agree with that.
  7. jvcarroll Well-Known Member

We both know they wouldn't do that because Sesame Street is a place of inclusion. Maybe they could sing a song about tolerance and teach the Romney clan a thing or two! Learning works better with Muppets!
    Muppet fan 123 likes this.
  8. RedPiggy Well-Known Member

I'm with jvcarrol on this one. It's not Muppety. Invite her and maybe they'll see the colorful light. Not likely, but hey, they let Oscar live there, so it's not like they aren't used to seeing grouches. :)
    jvcarroll likes this.
  9. Drtooth Well-Known Member

I'd give them bonus points for taking the high road, no doubt... but that's like inviting the class bully to a birthday party. You try to be the bigger man, but everyone just grits their teeth and feigns a smile. Though it would be punishing her instead of her husband if they did blacklist her.

They could have all his kids sit around and sing a special revised version of their classic song, now titled "One of these things is EXACTLY like the others."
  10. heralde Well-Known Member

I have no opinion either way, the First Lady thing is a bit of an antiquated joke anyway in my opinion. You got the position, why? Because you were married to a guy with power. Yay for you, but you won't be my kid's role model...
  11. Drtooth Well-Known Member

You get the position by being married to the guy, sure... but first ladies do a world of good that their male counterparts just couldn't. Michelle Obama's health initiative, Nancy Reagan's Just say No crusade (but only if you don't muddy it up with the possibility that her husband was a major tool in distributing some of said "no" stuff to the inner city)...not to mention those stories that Hillary Clinton was the one who really ran the country when her husband was president.
  12. heralde Well-Known Member

Perhaps if we finally did get more "First Hubbies" I wouldn't mind so much. At least it would be equal opportunity "I got the job because of my spouse," lol.

And it's still pretty antiquated. The First Lady tends to end up with the family oriented projects, typical because she's the female.