Robin the Frog Puppet

Muppetaz

Reaction score
Greetings fellow Muppet enthusiasts! I've begun a project that I would like to share, and request some help on completing. I have decided to give another go at puppet building after some past, not so successful, attempts. Here is what I've done so far:

So my question is: how do I secure the felt at the bottom of the puppet where I put my hand? I have tried a few different ways to no avail. I also seem to be struggling with the Henson stitch; I viewed several instruction videos, but still don't seem to have it down:

Thanks!

Slackbot

Reaction score
The Henson stitch works best on fleece. When you pull it tight the thread disappears, and then you can pick out the fibers trapped in the seam to hide it. Despite what most people (even Scooter!) say, felt isn't the usual material for puppet skin. It has little or no stretch, so either it is stiff or it wrinkles when you move the puppet, and the seams are much more visible.

As for attaching the skin to the body at the "output port," I just use contact cement to glue it down. On the inside, of course.

It looks like you are using 1" foam. I started out that way, and I found it made my puppets very stiff. If you do too, I suggest getting some 1/2" foam.

Good luck! I look forward to seeing how Robin turns out.

Muppetaz

Reaction score
Well SkeetScootSquat (You want an update? I'll give it to you!), since the last time I posted, I got a chance to run down to my local Joann's. Unfortunately the color of fleece necessary to complete Robin was not available; I did however pick up some materials to begin another project I will discuss momentarily. As far as my progress on Robin, I must say, he is looking much more like himself. I sculpted (does the word sculpted work in the context of cutting out and gluing together foam sheets??) him a new head and reshaped his mouth board.
Exhibit A:

Plus he can see now:

My second project- made a few failed attempts, but ultimately succeeded in the end...well, sort of.

The only major problem I've had with ole' Kermit here, is the corners of his mouth. I can't seem to form them into symmetrical shapes, his face appears lopsided, and when he talks it becomes worse. So my question is: how do I fix/adjust/form the corners correctly? Did I attach the mouth board wrong? Is it the wrong shape?

Muppetlab

Reaction score
For the Kermit, the overall shape looks good.. But there is no foam in kermits head, just your hand :smile:

And great job on Robin so far.. His eyes really bring him to life :smile:

Muppetaz

Reaction score
Thanks! At first I built him without foam, but added it afterwards as he was too baggy and would not retain a consistent shape. Even before the addition of foam his mouth board was lopsided. I still can't figure out how to form his "cheeks."

SkeetScootSquat

Reaction score
sorry,but I can't offer advice. The closest I've ever came to building one was a sock with only eyes,no legs arms or such.:frown:

Muppetaz

Reaction score
Can you help me with the head
What? Would you mind elaborating a bit? Do you mean to say you are building your own Robin and would like to know how I achieved what I have as of so far? If so, I just used a scaled down, jawless version of the "glorified sock puppet pattern" I drew freehand. If you need it I could scan it, but I can't guarantee the product will be too useful.