RIP Wayne Rogers

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Actor and business tycoon Wayne Rogers passed away today from complications from pneumonia.

When it comes to M*A*S*H, I admit that I'm among the minority who prefered B.J. to Trapper, mainly because it's clear the writers didn't do much to expand on and develop Trapper into a character beyond simply being Hawkeye's sidekick (B.J. was certainly more well-rounded), but I certainly recognize how talented and multifaceted Wayne Rogers was, and he and Alan Alda really had great chemistry on camera. I'm sad that another castmember from the show has left us now, but at the same time, I'm amazed that so many of them are still alive and well today, since it seems like most 60s and 70s TV stars have been long gone.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Wow,people are really dying off this month. It's like death wanted to get as many people as possible before the new year.:frown:

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Interesting, Rogers originally planned to audition to play Hawkeye but he found that character to be too cynical, which is why he auditioned to play Trapper who was generally more optimistic.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Yeah, but there sure was a lot of behind-the-scenes drama regarding Trapper. Originally, he and Hawkeye were meant to be interchangable leads so that either one of them could carry the show, but that soon fizzled out because Alan Alda embodied Hawkeye so much that the writers starting writing more and more for him and essentially reducing Trapper to sidekick status. Of course, Wayne didn't bear any hard feelings, as he and Alan were really close anyway, but as a businessman, Wayne felt that if they weren't going to do more for Trapper beyond having him in a scene or two per episode, then they should write him out completely, because clearly they weren't using each other to their full potentials.

As it also turns out, Wayne was the only cast member who didn't sign a contract, because it contained a moral clause that said the producers could fire him if he did anything they found morally reprehensible; he said he would only sign it if there was another clause that said he could fire them if they did anything he found morally reprehensible. So when he announced he was leaving the show after Season Three, the producers sued him over his contract, meanwhile he countersued them over the matter as well . . . in Wayne's words, when they went before the judge, it went something like this: "Let me see the contract." "There is no contract." "Then what are you doing in my courtroom? Bye-bye."

Interestingly enough, Wayne replaced Larry Hagman as Tony Nelson in an I DREAM OF JEANNIE reunion TV movie in the 80s.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Hey I just found out that Wayne has the same birthday as me!

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I apparently share my birthday with Tim Allen and Paul Lynde.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
One more casualty for 2015. I'm with you, Snowthy, I'm more partial to BJ than Trapper, but no doubt Wayne was a force to be reckoned with.
He also held his own in an early episode of "Alfred Hitchcock Presents".

As for sharing my birthday with famous folks, I have to settle for Tony Danza and Iggy Pop.

JimAndFrank

Reaction score
M*A*S*H happens to be my all time favorite TV show, so any cast member death comes as a huge blow.

I prefer BJ, but I absolutely love Trapper John. Wayne portrayed a wonderfully funny and vibrant character who could also hit the dark dramatic notes when need be.

Rest in peace, Wayne. Thanks for the hilarity and all the laughter.