RIP Christina Grimmie

D'Snowth

Reaction score
While I confess that I've never exactly been a fan of hers, I would still say that hers was a Cinderella story, similar to Lindsey Stirling, that was admirable and no doubt inspiring for some out there. But there are no way to put into words just how deplorable and horrible it was for her to be shot and killed at one of her own concerts.

And yet, we still can't get stricter gun laws.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
And yet, we still can't get stricter gun laws.
My sister and I were actually just talking about gun control yesterday because there was a small shooting in Dallas which is just the city right next to us.

A bunch of gun users claim that they want to keep their guns for self-defense, but thousands and thousands of shootings occur every year and very few of them are actually self defense.

It's just absolutely sickening to think that she was killed doing what she loved to do.

This is extremely sad, she was only 22 years old, so much promise in her life and in her career. Both were really just getting started. She had a really beautiful voice and I think she could've been a big star.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
My sister and I were actually just talking about gun control yesterday because there was a small shooting in Dallas which is just the city right next to us.

A bunch of gun users claim that they want to keep their guns for self-defense, but thousands and thousands of shootings occur every year and very few of them are actually self defense.
Again, part of the problem is the general misconception about gun control: so many people automatically assume gun control equals, "the gumment takin r gunz away!" Not the case at all. What it is is making gun laws stricter to try and avoid situations like this from happening, where guns easily fall into the wrong hands; it's bad enough that gun violence is this country is so bad that you might as well wear a bullet-proof vest everytime you go outside. I mean, heck, one of our local parks recently made it legal to carry guns into the park (if you have a permit to own and use one), and when regular park goers were interviewed about it, they all pretty much said, "I come here with my kids so they'll have a safe place to play, but now we can't come here anymore, because what if someone pulls out a gun and starts shooting at everybody?" That's just sad. And while I don't know or have read all the details yet, it makes me wonder just what kind of security measures were taken at this concert? Was the guy not searched? I mean, heck, you can't go to the movies now without getting searched (makes it harder for my mom to smuggle in cheaper snacks). Like so many other tragic shootings, I'm positive this could have been avoided.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Part of the blame can be on security, but the killer is equally culpable. He came with the intent to harm her (he certainly wasn't acting in self defense). Even more pitiful he showed how courageous he was by taking his own life.
He'll have to stand in front of a just and absolute God, and he'll have plenty to answer for.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Again, part of the problem is the general misconception about gun control: so many people automatically assume gun control equals, "the gumment takin r gunz away!" Not the case at all. What it is is making gun laws stricter to try and avoid situations like this from happening, where guns easily fall into the wrong hands; it's bad enough that gun violence is this country is so bad that you might as well wear a bullet-proof vest everytime you go outside. I mean, heck, one of our local parks recently made it legal to carry guns into the park (if you have a permit to own and use one), and when regular park goers were interviewed about it, they all pretty much said, "I come here with my kids so they'll have a safe place to play, but now we can't come here anymore, because what if someone pulls out a gun and starts shooting at everybody?" That's just sad.
I'm only going to say this once. I try very very very VERY hard not to say "such and such a Right Wing organization is evil," but there's no other way to describe the NRA. It's been pretty much common knowledge for years that they speak not for the gun owners, but rather the gun manufacturers who don't give a quantum singularity about safety. Who cares who gets killed? They make their money. And they make even more money when a tragedy happens because they sell the paranoia that "gumment gonna tayke der gawwwwns!!!" And as the NRA is a lobbyist group, well...you know the drill. Either shill for us, or we'll spend the same borderline sexual favor worth of money on someone else. Even the staunchest Second Amendment, give 'em to your kids like in countries we don't like, types are smart enough to know regulation is the best way for them to keep their guns. But we have the same loudmouth paid opinionheads spreading more paranoia and victimization and that riles up the vocal minority. The very same vocal minority that NRA and gun manufacturers cater to.

So we have a company that makes money off of tragedy and are happy to see the same tragedies continue to happen. Again, I try hard to say that there's no industry that's evil. Greedy, corrupt, incompetent, run by the doltish son of some rich old fogey. But not evil. But the way they market themselves, the way they buy the government, and the way they cater to fear and anger.... uh. We hated the tobacco lobby again, why?

And yet, try and draw a realistic hand gun in even a Y-7 rated action cartoon, and you'll always be barked down to a water pistol, pop gun, or laser blaster. Guess the easiest place to get rid of guns is in children's programming.

Part of the blame can be on security, but the killer is equally culpable. He came with the intent to harm her (he certainly wasn't acting in self defense). Even more pitiful he showed how courageous he was by taking his own life.
I also agree to that. Obviously, she wasn't a huge star and wasn't surrounded by hundreds of giant bodyguards, but they could have made a better effort. Like when there was that Dark Knight Rises shooting. Sure, mental health, how was he able to get a gun...blah blah blah. How the heck come the theater didn't have anyone standing by the exit door or even so much as a surveillance system. While a shooting tragedy there was unthinkable, know what is? Someone sneaking into a darn movie without paying. Essentially rule number one of movie theaters. Really.

Drtooth

Reaction score
OMG! over 100 people were shot at a nightclub in Orlando, the exact same city that Christina was shot in.
And it turns out it's an act of "terrorism" (or in real terms pathetic loser who got angry at the wrong people and went to the internet for other pathetic losers to indoctrinate him). Which makes my point all the more valid. The government is doing almost everything to try and crack down on terrorism (not buggering with the Middle East and blocking websites not withstanding), except for these gun loopholes. And frankly, that's where we need protection the most. That seems the best strategy for terrorism, since no one's stopping backdoor, straw purchases of war weapons that shouldn't be sold to civilians at any cost...but, you know...NRA and the gun manufacturers again. I had a hunch that after last year's Californian shooting, this would be what lone wolf wastes of human life would do next. Straw purchasing to build up stockpiles of weapons no civilian should ever have.

So I guess we can all guess where this heads next. The frustrated Democratic president will get crap for "politicizing" this tragedy, then he'll get crap for not doing anything about it (among other reasons, he didn't drop a "nukyular" bomb on the wrong country without thinking). Then gun sales will rise and Wayne LaPierre eats a live baby. Then the cycle can start up again with no freaking learning curve.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
So I guess we can all guess where this heads next. The frustrated Democratic president will get crap for "politicizing" this tragedy, then he'll get crap for not doing anything about it (among other reasons, he didn't drop a "nukyular" bomb on the wrong country without thinking). Then gun sales will rise and Wayne LaPierre eats a live baby. Then the cycle can start up again with no freaking learning curve.
Exactly. I mean, heck, this is becoming a ridiculous as alllllll the way back in the days of the Old Testament, when the Israelites kept turning to their pagan idols, God would start smiting them, they'd come running back to Him crying, so he'd let them off the hook, and this kept going on and on and on in a vicious cycle, till finally, God got fed up and was like, "Nah, you know what? I'm done with this routine. You want help? Get it from your golden cows and goats, I'm outta here." Every time something like this happens, Obama tries to open people's eyes to what stricter gun laws would do to prevent things like this from happening (like you say, closing up all the backdoor loopholes and such), but the other side is always, "NO! Obummer's gunna tak r gunz away! He da wurst prez we eva had! y u stoopit peepul vot 4 him?!" So, seeing as he's getting nowhere, he's finally stopped trying to address the issue because he knows nobody is going to listen to him, so then, those exact same people are like, "Obummer aint dressin da shoosting! Obummer dont care about us! He da wurst prez eva!" So, it's like, if Obama tries to do something, he's met with resistence . . . so when he doesn't even bother trying, he's still met with resistence.

It doesn't help that of all 50 states in the union, the two states where it seems like you can get away with anything are California and Florida. In the case of the latter state, remember the whole Casey Anthony case? She kills her daughter, but gets away with it. I mean, when it comes to national tragedies like this, of all the places it can happen, where do they usually end up happening?

We're never going to accomplish anything unless we quit being a nation divided over everything. I mean, heck, this is supposed to be the United States of America, is it not? If we're supposed to be so "united," why is it just the opposite and we're so divided? If we're supposed to be the greatest country in the world, why are other countries so much happier, and more harmonious than we are? You almost never see anything like this happening in Canada, or Scandinavian countries.