Review: A Mighty Wind

Cantus Rock

Reaction score
My review:
----

A Mighty Display of Genius
By: Matt Charles

“A Mighty Wind”: Written and Directed by Christopher Guest

I left the Regal Westfork Theater this evening with a new respect for two things in particular. First off, my already high level of enjoyment of folk music has been redefined. Second, my respect for Christopher Guest and his troupe of genius (yes, genius...a word I do NOT use loosely) has been amplified greatly.

Before I go any further, let me be completely honest; “A Mighty Wind” was nowhere near as funny as “Waiting for Guffman” or “Best in Show”. For one, there was very little character development (though what was displayed for us was in Guest’s traditional off-the-wall style). This was due to the overwhelming emphasis that was placed in the films music, of which the majority was fairly serious by folk terms. There were hilarious moments regardless, but it was not at all on the level of the prior Christopher Guest films. Despite the lack of continuous comedy, the film was pure gold.

Its gold lied within its story, which was a great change from the normal Guest style; there was a great deal of poignancy in the film. So poignant in fact, that between the lines of comedy, the film was utterly touching.

The other main factor of the films awesomeness was the music, paired with the story behind the music (no VH1 reference intended). A little-known fact about the film's music is that all the cast that performed in the film actually played their instruments. That fact is amazing, being that not a member of the cast had played their character's instrument prior to the film's production (with minor exceptions- one being Eugene Levy had played guitar prior, but not nearly as well). Also, all the songs were written, performed, and studio recorded by the cast, and I must say, they all sounded just as good (if not better, if the truth be known) as any folk music I've heard. In this, I have to say that if a person just cannot get into folk music, the film probably will not be as entertaining to them, but even if you have a mild liking (or as little as a tolerance) for folk, the sound will surely move you.

All in all, Christopher Guest has shown that he and his cast of brilliance are talented to the fullest extent of the word. The story, the quirky characters (as always), and the phenomenal music, make this film wonderful on so many levels.

So, my advice to you is to see it before its yanked from the theaters. Trust me; it is way too good to last.
----

-Matt

electricmayhem

Reaction score
I'm excited to see it:smile: I also read in an article about Eugene Levy that the movie was mostly improvised by the cast too, and that he was much more serious than usual. That's really impressive that they all played their own instruments, good for them.
Good review Matt, I especially like the part about he and his cast:big_grin: :wink:

Cantus Rock

Reaction score
Originally posted by electricmayhem
I'm excited to see it:smile: I also read in an article about Eugene Levy that the movie was mostly improvised by the cast too, and that he was much more serious than usual. That's really impressive that they all played their own instruments, good for them.
Good review Matt, I especially like the part about he and his cast:big_grin: :wink:
Christ, I can't believe I forgot to mention that 98% of the film was improvised. I guess I have a ways to go before professional critisizing.

And you are right, I am extremely happy I used "he and his cast". To think I would even *suggest* a different word arrangement...

:big_grin:

-Matt

electricmayhem

Reaction score
Originally posted by Cantus Rock
Christ, I can't believe I forgot to mention that 98% of the film was improvised. I guess I have a ways to go before professional critisizing.

And you are right, I am extremely happy I used "he and his cast". To think I would even *suggest* a different word arrangement...

:big_grin:

-Matt
No, you'll just have more time when you're a professional to remember those things:smile: I can't imagine improvising a whole movie, that's crazy! But really cool!

And what WERE you thinking! Another word choice better than "he and his cast"...not on this planet!:big_grin:

Beauregard

Reaction score
Actually the title of that movie makes it sound like someone has eaten too many raw onions.

Super Scooter

Reaction score
:mad: :flirt: : Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh!

:sympathy: : That's not even the worst of it! The movie was so bad, it wiped out half of Uranus!

:mad: : This is getting sick.

:sympathy: : Tell that to the guy standing behind him.

Cantus Rock

Reaction score
Please stop polluting my review with irrelivant and inane commentry.

-Matt

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
i saw 30 minutes of best in show before i turned it off.. i tought the first 30 minutes were real stupid and couldn't stand to see the rest of the movie. so i won't see this one either just because i wasn't impressed with the last movie guest directed.

ryan

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Originally posted by Cantus Rock
Please stop polluting my review with irrelivant and inane commentry.

-Matt
Ooops! Sorry!

I had one more, but, oh well.

Anyway, great revue, Matt. I'd like to see that movie.

electricmayhem

Reaction score
I listened to the song (A Mighty Wind) and I really liked it! Since it looks like I won't be getting to go down to the book signing, maybe I'll make my mom take me to see this!:smile: