Retired characters

jeremystclair

Reaction score
can we make a list of characters retired from sesame street and when they were on the show. the wiki to me seems inconsistent on when characters stopped like shows guy smily on some time after jim hensosn death

backpackmina

Reaction score
can we make a list of characters retired from sesame street and when they were on the show. the wiki to me seems inconsistent on when characters stopped like shows guy smily on some time after jim hensosn death
Guy Smiley still appeared after Jim's death. Not as much as before, though.

Nostalgicman

Reaction score
Guy Smiley has been recast with Eric.

Also, I was wondering about retired characters. I believe characters aren't officially retired until the puppet is no longer usable, as with Bruno. But others like Herry and Biff still appear as background characters occasionally. I always wonder, are the puppets for characters like Gladys, Sonny Friendly, Baby Bear's family, Snuffy's family, etc. still usable or not? I hope they are still usable considering the Roosevelt Franklin puppet which hasn't been used in almost 40 years was shown in some press photos for one of the recent seasons.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Back in 2009, for Sesame's 40th anniversary, the Brooklyn Public Library had a huge display with Roosevelt Franklin, Prairie Dawn, and Sherlock Hemlock under glass. I would imagine they're originals since Roosevelt's shirt looked a little faded.
Other characters are still here, even if new puppets have to be made every few years. There's an Oscar that's at least 25 years old in the Smithsonian.

Chances are if they ever use Roosevelt Franklin again (and if they dig up Matt Robinson to voice him, good luck with that) they would have to build a new puppet. I don't think 46-year-old foam would hold up to a lot of punishment.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Back in 2009, for Sesame's 40th anniversary, the Brooklyn Public Library had a huge display with Roosevelt Franklin, Prairie Dawn, and Sherlock Hemlock under glass. I would imagine they're originals since Roosevelt's shirt looked a little faded.
Other characters are still here, even if new puppets have to be made every few years. There's an Oscar that's at least 25 years old in the Smithsonian.

Chances are if they ever use Roosevelt Franklin again (and if they dig up Matt Robinson to voice him, good luck with that) they would have to build a new puppet. I don't think 46-year-old foam would hold up to a lot of punishment.
There is still an existing Roosevelt Franklin puppet as seen in this behind the scenes photo taken in 2009:

He also made a cameo in season 45,episode 4509.

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
Also their is this Roosevelt Franklin poser as seen here.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Wow...Roosevelt was never in any Street scenes back in his day. If they can bring him back from Nineteenseventysomething, I guess there's hope for Aristotle, too.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Wow...Roosevelt was never in any Street scenes back in his day. If they can bring him back from Nineteenseventysomething, I guess there's hope for Aristotle, too.
Well,I wouldn't hold my breath,Aristotle was never really that popular of a character,so I don't really see them rebuilding him.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Wow...Roosevelt was never in any Street scenes back in his day.
He was in the Season 4 premiere, where everybody was doing an alphabet rollcall, including, "R is for Roosevelt."