Respectful Politics Thread (Let's Just See)

jvcarroll

Reaction score
I think the writer meant she was praised more for her liberal politics than for her actual talent.

Well that's another thing the article brought up, the arrogance that "comedy" would somehow beat Trump.

Saying a woman is "ready for prom" is indeed mean.

I agree, that should have been a moment everyone could join hands on. But hey, maybe don't knock dirty water until you've tried it. :shifty:

I appreciate that so many are coming to McCain's defense, but it's exhausting trying to remember who we like or hate this week. Before Trump made his dumb comments, the US did not hate Putin. Before Trump made his dumb comments, McCain was a joke to the Democrats. Everyone is letting Trump dictate our thoughts, and it's getting more than a bit absurd.
I can agree with most of this except the last paragraph. I very much disagree with McCain, but he was never a joke to me, my liberal friends or congressional dems. I don't know where that idea comes from. And both parties saw Putin for the thug he is - before the age of Trump. I don't understand this last bit you wrote, but I very much agree with the rest (and your dark humor is very funny and appropriately inappropriate). Also, when I said - OMG, this was weeks ago, I was talking about the author of the editorial - not you- just making sure you know that. I really appreciate this discussion. I just don't understand why that's still news when the President is meeting in North Korea! As a liberal, as an American, and as a human, I sure hope that works out. No sarcasm. I really do. It's a longshot. I wish Obama would have gone ahead with his plans for that too.

Last edited:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I can agree with most of this except the last paragraph. I very much disagree with McCain, but he was never a joke to me, my liberal friends or congressional dems. I don't know where that idea comes from.
Well it's like how feminists don't like the phrase "not all men." And I agree, just because some individual men aren't jerks doesn't mean there isn't a problem.

And both parties saw Putin for the thug he is - before the age of Trump.
There was hope for a long time that Putin was different. That sentiment didn't start to turn until Ukraine which is fairly recent, and Obama wasn't too forceful about it (He didn't have much experience in foreign policy. That's why I don't get why Republicans then voted for a guy with even less!).

and your dark humor is very funny and appropriately inappropriate
Lol, thank you.

I really appreciate this discussion.
Yeah me too, I'm not posting it out of anger, just to keep discussion going. :smile:

I just don't understand why that's still news when the President is meeting in North Korea! As a liberal, as an American, and as a human, I sure hope that works out. No sarcasm. I really do. It's a longshot. I wish Obama would have gone ahead with his plans for that too.
I feel like, best case scenario, it will just kinda awkwardly peter out. I'm skeptical that anything huge will happen, good or bad.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Well it's like how feminists don't like the phrase "not all men." And I agree, just because some individual men aren't jerks doesn't mean there isn't a problem.

There was hope for a long time that Putin was different. That sentiment didn't start to turn until Ukraine which is fairly recent, and Obama wasn't too forceful about it (He didn't have much experience in foreign policy. That's why I don't get why Republicans then voted for a guy with even less!).

Lol, thank you.

Yeah me too, I'm not posting it out of anger, just to keep discussion going. :smile:

I feel like, best case scenario, it will just kinda awkwardly peter out. I'm skeptical that anything huge will happen, good or bad.
Yup it's a long shot. And probably just a distraction for the Trump administration, but if it works on any legit level, I'm for it!!!

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Trump is clearly beginning to infect Canada now, because this is so un-Canadian-like.

https://wokesloth.com/watch-two-men-handle-a-womans-racist-tirade-in-a-dennys-like-pros/stefanie/
Actually this doesn't surprise me at all, because it's the European countries (and I include Canada in that in spirit) who often seem to be more shell shocked by the idea of diversity than Americans generally are.

I don't like the idea that you can't take back what you say. The woman was clearly embarrassed and repentant afterward. An unforgiving attitude is not helpful.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Actually this doesn't surprise me at all, because it's the European countries (and I include Canada in that in spirit) who often seem to be more shell shocked by the idea of diversity than Americans generally are.
Really? Because most of the Canadians I know (including MrsPepper) see America as a backward, regressive country because we still keep things like racism, sexism, homophobia, and xenophobia alive, and they don't understand why America is still hung up on all those things, because they're able to look past it up there.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Really? Because most of the Canadians I know (including MrsPepper) see America as a backward, regressive country
It's always been cool to bash America. Sometimes we deserve it, and sometimes other countries don't know what they're talking about and need to see to their own sins.

they don't understand why America is still hung up on all those things
Because both extreme sides choose to be. Doesn't mean most of the country is.

because they're able to look past it up there.
That's a generalization, the same as saying Americans can't look past it.