Remembering Richard Hunt

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's hard to believe, but twelve years ago today the wonderful and talented Richard Huntpassed away. Performer of favorites such as Scooter, Janice, Junior Gorg, Forgetful Jones, and more. Richard had a unique style and characterization that has been sorely missed. Take some time today to remember Richard in your own way today and remember the countless lives he touched. Let us know what you will remember most about Richard.

Our Richard Hunt tributes are here...

http://www.muppetcentral.com/articl...unt/index.shtml

Also check our Emmy's Richard Hunt site...

http://rhuntfan.tripod.com/

Jamie also designed a tribute menu which is on the front of the site today.

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
love statler, scooter, and janice...those were some great characters from the muppet show. forgetful jones and don music are some of my old favorites from sesame street. those were also classic characters.

richard really did have an impact on the muppet show and sesame street because of all the wonderful characters he did and also in fraggle rock too, though i haven't seen that show in a long time.

quite a talanted guy who had a great imagination

ryan

matleo

Reaction score
I loe Richard's characters. I love the energy that he brought to the Muppets. His characters always had so much life and zest to them. They were characters you wanted to know. You felt empathy for Beaker, wanted to rock out with Janice, you wanted to hang out with Scooter, you wanted to comfort and Don Music, and you wanted to tel Jr. gorg to leave the Fraggles alone.
Richard's was a gifted performer whose main contribution was a zany energy that just hasn't been matched. We miss you Richard, and we miss your humor.

--Matt

Benjamina

Reaction score
:eek: I can hardly believe that it has been 12 years already, not to mention soon to be fourteen for Jim. It is sad that good people go. :boo: In remberance of Richard Hunt, I just want to express my appreciation for one of the many talented Muppeteers that were a part of the team of Henson Productions. What I remember most about him was his voice, it was very distinct, atleast to me...he was very talented as a singer, and I enjoyed listening to him when he played one of his Muppet charecters or any of the "whatnots" or "anything muppets" on the Muppet Show and Sesame Street. Mr. Hunt, you will be missed!! He was a very, very cool guy! :wink:

Skeeter Muppet

Reaction score
There was a short story I read for a creative writing class last year called "In the Gloaming" by Alice Elliot Dark. It was about a mother spending time with her adult son, who was dying of AIDS. At one point in the story, a friend of the dying young man mistakenly heard that the son had passed away and sent the mother a sympathy card. In the card the friend said of him, "[He] was the most vital, funniest person I ever met."

That quote not only describes the character in the story, but it fits Richard as well. Everything I've read about him, from the tributes here at Muppet Central and at Emmy's site, to what was said about him at MuppetFest and written about him in Of Muppets and Men and Jim Henson: The Works portrays Richard as a kind, funny and generous man who loved what he did for a living and the impact that it had.

Like most people, I didn't learn about Richard's passing until I saw the dedication in the opening credits of Muppet Christmas Carol. Being a fledgling Muppet fan (born the year the Muppet Show ended its five season run, barely remembered Fraggle Rock or the first three movies but knew Muppet Babies), I didn't really know who Richard Hunt was until I heard Statler's voice and knew that it was different. So I surmised that Richard had been Statler's performer the same way Jim was Waldorf's. At the time I had no idea of big a hole Richard's passing had left in the Muppet family.

I think maybe that's why I was so pleased to see Scooter back in the fold, so to speak, in IAVMMC. Not simply because he's my favorite Muppet and it was his first appearance in ten years. But because, in a way, it feels like Richard's spirit is back with the Muppets as well.

So here's to you, Richard. I hope you're bringing as much life and laughter to Heaven as you brought to us here on Earth.

-Kim

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Hooooooooooraaaay for Richard!!! ... we miss you.

:wink: :boo: :flirt: :eek: ... and the ocassional :zany:

monkeymuppet

Reaction score
I remeber when I first got The Works. I flipped through all the pages to look at the pictures and Richard stood out. Looking at his pictures I could tell he was so full of life, so spunky. I instantly became a fan and everything I read about him makes me love him even more. Ah, and his voice... You're so awesome!
Some interesting articles about Richard I found...
http://samonkey.tripod.com/wambi/articles/

Skeeter Muppet

Reaction score
Nice articles. I really enjoyed the second one. You don't happen to have the picture that went with it, do you?

-Kim

monkeymuppet

Reaction score
I wish I did, but there wasnt a picture in the newspaper archive where I found the article. Does anybody have that picture?