Remembering Jerry Nelson (July 10, 1934-August 23, 2012)

Skeeter Muppet

Reaction score
Ain't it just the way it goes?
You pull the petals off the rose.
We never say hello to stay,
We always say goodbye.
We always say goodbye...

And ain't it just the way it seems?
We pull the petals off our dreams.
Our hearts can say we're here to stay,
But we always say goodbye.
We always say goodbye...

Weep for the day when a new friend comes your way.
Weep while you play, for your friend will make you cry.
Weep for the night when he journeys out of sight.
Friends always tell you goodbye.

-Kim

Friends always tell you goodbye.

beaker

Reaction score
We were very lucky to have spent some time with Mr. Nelson both on the set of Sesame and in his home. On set, we happened to be filming with Caroll the same day there was a scene between the Count and Big Bird. It was a joy to watch him work. We timidly approached Mr. Nelson and asked if it would be ok to film him relaxing between takes with Caroll. He obliged (which was good, because we really were quite nervous to approach him as he was, after all, a legend). Hearing Caroll and Mr. Nelson talk about the "old days" was a truly wonderful experience and one we are honored to have been privy to.

Then, in February of this year, we called Mr. Nelson and asked if we could come interview him. Again, he welcomed us without hesitation. It was a magical afternoon, though perhaps my favorite moment was when we were sharing some of Caroll's footage with Mr. Nelson. The rest of the team was busy setting up the shot, so he and I went into his TV room and fired up the behind-the-scenes footage of "A Muppet Family Christmas." Mr. Nelson had never seen this material before; there are no words to describe how honored I was to see it with him and hear him relive the experience.

Though we knew his characters for our entire lives, we only knew the man but a brief while. We knew him to be a kind and generous soul who we will miss greatly.

-Dave
Oh my! This was more recently? I'm so so grateful that up to his final months he was able to laugh, relive great memories and be around new and old friends. I can think of nothing more positive in the narrative of the human journey than this sort of situation.
I absolutely cannot wait to see what footage you got, even b-roll dvd extras. Because while a lot of people obviously know the characters and work, and may know the name...even many fans may not know the person behind the felt, foam and fur.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Don't worry I'm afraid to too. I want to listen to the Fraggle songs on my iPod but I'm worried about my reaction if I do.
I understand but it's funny I've been thinking of his songs all day. I already mentioned Frog Prince but certainly from Fraggle Rock. Very few talents are so wonderfully realized in life. : )

beaker

Reaction score
10 Things Jerry Nelson taught me:
1. Counting is a good way to pass time
2. If you want to get out of a wedding, hire a boomerang fish thrower
3. Everything has a fun side, even explosions
4. Being small isn't the difference, it's what you do with that fact that makes the difference
5. No matter how busy our day is, there's always time to stop and sit in the midst of a staircase
6. Catch the tail by the tiger
7. When in need of advice, contact your local trash heap
8. Music can do anything
9. When doing a magic trick, say "Ala peanut butter sandwiches!"
10. Beware of furry blue monsters in restaurants

Niiiice. I think it's fitting he was the main character and leader of Fraggle Rock, as that seemed to be his personality. Kind of a strong underpinning that balanced upholding and strengthening a group while providing exploration, song, laughter and whimsy.

I had gotten to see the Fraggle Rock reunion, as part of the Tribute To Jim Henson at Carnegie Hall recently. And while it was great to see Red, and the return of Wembley and Uncle Matt...Nelson's Gobo was strongly missed. I can't imagine how they could find a replacement for his very unique raspy voice. I am glad he was able to lend his voice as the announcer in last year's Muppet film.

FrackleFan2012

Reaction score
Here's a video I found on Youtube about CBS New's coverage on Jerry Nelson's death.

Cape Cod!?! I use to have vacations there over the summer. How shocking!

Hubert

Reaction score
Why is everyone saying that he performed Snuffy? He only did so in Snuffy's very early years...by the time that clip that CBS showed appeared, Marty Robinson was performing him.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Why is everyone saying that he performed Snuffy? He only did so in Snuffy's very early years...by the time that clip that CBS showed appeared, Marty Robinson was performing him.
Because Snuffy's one of the more recognizable characters. It works in a quick sound bite.

Hubert

Reaction score
Because Snuffy's one of the more recognizable characters. It works in a quick sound bite.
I know...it just bugs me that they're showing clips/audio of Marty's Snuffy while saying that...